Bad News For Motorists..

Amadeus

I only want a 4x4 because the roads are so fucking awfull, wecked a few nice big alloys in my time.

Lol, what greater vindication of the proposals do they need? :rolleyes:

not sure I get what you mean there, i'd be happy zooming around in a small sporty car but you do tend to get shaken to bits if your suspenson is harder than a sponge and if you dare have low profile tyres and big rims it gets expensive replacing both due to the huge pot holes every were, no such probs in a 4x4 pick up

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Triple for 4x4s/SUVs

Island-wide 50mph speed limit

Speed limit for the Mountain Road

That about sums it up really. An out going Tynwald totally out of touch with the major public opinion and a load of civil servants who do what the hell they want knowing their jobs are safe no-matter what people think.

As a candidate Amadeus, what are your views on the subjects mentioned?

Sorry to put you on the spot :)

err..let's see:

Island wide limit: NO

Mountain road limit: NO

I know that points 1 and 2 are technically the same, but in the whole debate there has somehow always been a difference between an "All Island Limit" and an "All Island + Mountain Road Limit" - I guess the mountain really is the final 'sacred cow' in this...

More tax: NO

I can understand where they're coming from with the tax thing, and some of these SUV thingies can appear to be of little real use at times - I mean, what point is there to an X5? It's a 4x4 that gets stuck when the road is slightly wet and happens to point upwards at an angle of 2 degrees.. Still - as mentioned above - people driving these cars have a good right to do so, and to enjoy the fruits of their labour - and they are paying enough for it already, all only for the dubious pleasure of having to cope with some of the worst roads I have ever seen in my life, and I used to drive all across europe for a living... Plus - any genuine 4x4 (i.e. a farmer's landy) would also fall in this category - not right...

I just think they are trying to tackle the problem in the wrong way (again..) - a modern car (even with a big engine) is damaging the environment way less than any old banger with a 1.2 hairdryer under the bonnet. Many european countries give you a year's free car tax if you buy a new car that complies with certain emission standards, as an incentive to drive a newer, safer, more efficient and environmentally friendly car - so even if you happen to drive a new Diesel Merc with particulate filter, ultra-efficient CDI engine, and god knows how many more innovations and improvements on board, you'd still be punished for it, where as you would be rewarded in other countries - ill thought of idea...

I'm slowly getting sick and tired of this whole nanny state approach ( which, as mentioned before, has clearly been proven NOT to work), and the apparent unwillingness of some people to change the way they approach or think about certain issues - if the debate flames up again, then you can find me in the front line - I'll be the one chained to the doors of Tynwald - either on the inside or outside - depends on how thursday works out...

Those of us who enjoy our vehicles already pay well over the odds for tax, insurance and fuel as it is.

I agree that tax and fuel costs are effectively set by government - however I understood that insurance was a highly competitive market with the rates determined by the risk exposure - fast expensive cars must I presume be a greater risk.

I'm slowly getting sick and tired of this whole nanny state approach ( which, as mentioned before, has clearly been proven NOT to work), and the apparent unwillingness of some people to change the way they approach or think about certain issues - if the debate flames up again, then you can find me in the front line - I'll be the one chained to the doors of Tynwald - either on the inside or outside - depends on how thursday works out...

Proof of why if you get 100 votes you should count yourself lucky. Have you spoken to Manx people and asked what their opinion is?

Recent world news points to a world on the tipping point of environmental catastrophe.

If these blanket measures in any way assist the reduction of CO2 emissions then they can only be a good thing

bolloks the last ice age happened and we weren't there, how much crap comes out of volcanoes and under sea vents etc.? its all natural cycles come back in a million years and you'll see I'm right.

Have you spoken to Manx people and asked what their opinion is?

On the speed limit - yes. Majority on the doorstep and during the requisition meeting (where this was one of the questions) was against it...

Proof of why if you get 100 votes you should count yourself lucky. Have you spoken to Manx people and asked what their opinion is?

Well he spoke to me and I'm Manx and I totally agree, it is becoming a nanny state.

Recent world news points to a world on the tipping point of environmental catastrophe.

If these blanket measures in any way assist the reduction of CO2 emissions then they can only be a good thing

bolloks the last ice age happened and we weren't there, how much crap comes out of volcanoes and under sea vents etc.? its all natural cycles come back in a million years and you'll see I'm right.

well that's ok then

Tell the worlds scientists and academics that jim has the answers - it's volcanos and under sea vents

bolloks sums it up :)

Those of us who enjoy our vehicles already pay well over the odds for tax, insurance and fuel as it is.

I agree that tax and fuel costs are effectively set by government - however I understood that insurance was a highly competitive market with the rates determined by the risk exposure - fast expensive cars must I presume be a greater risk.

I don't think they're a greater risk Frances - but I expect they are more expensive to repair. And insurance companies seem far better at measuring the depth of your pocket than the actuarial risk you pose to them.

And Sultan - Frank (Amadeus) is both Chairman of Safer Island Driving AND a Keys candidate, so I expect he's talked with more Manx people about these issues than you and I combined. If he's unsuccessful on Thursday it's probably only because his Grandad bombed my Grandma's chip shop in the last lot

And Sultan - Frank (Amadeus) is both Chairman of Safer Island Driving AND a Keys candidate, so I expect he's talked with more Manx people about these issues than you and I combined. If he's unsuccessful on Thursday it's probably only because his Grandad bombed my Grandma's chip shop in the last lot

Stu don't get me wrong I've not got a massive problem but the speed issue we can manage ourselves .. its not an election issue. Its an argument with the DOT that will rumble on for ages. We will fire up and they will back down. Its not politics.

As election issues go - proved by the BBC's politics show on Sunday - the issue is immigration, immigration and immigration ... but every manifesto I've seen is piss poor on the subject. Everyone knows that Doris Corris from Peel has immigration at the top of her list because of all these "foreign fellas" over here, and that is where the votes are going to go. I'm amazed nobody has picked up on it yet. the new candidates must be totally stupid, its an easy vote grabber.

All that shite about "Well the work permit system as it stands really works" is bollocks, and that is virtually every manifesto I've read.

Archived