Bad News For Motorists..

Amadeus

Recent world news points to a world on the tipping point of environmental catastrophe.

If these blanket measures in any way assist the reduction of CO2 emissions then they can only be a good thing

bolloks the last ice age happened and we weren't there, how much crap comes out of volcanoes and under sea vents etc.? its all natural cycles come back in a million years and you'll see I'm right.

well that's ok then

Tell the worlds scientists and academics that jim has the answers - it's volcanos and under sea vents

bolloks sums it up :)

jim knows best :)

like I say come back in a million years and tell me I'm wrong.

now were did all those bloody dinosaurs go :unsure:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the candidates aren't cynical enough, or the electorate aren't daft enough, to worry unduly about this massive influx of Johnny Foreigners that a couple of people seem to have whipped up a storm about. Anyway, that's the BNP's job it seems...

Back on thread, I think I'll stand next time on a Transport ticket. It seems to be de rigeur these days to announce intentions for high office from the outset. I want to be Transport Minister.

Here's the manifesto.

* The island's roads WILL be subject to a major overhaul to bring them into line with a modern car-based society.

* Developers will be forced to factor adequate car parking and roadways into housing plans.

* The island's roads will be completely decluttered of confusing and distracting signs and roadside 'furniture'.

* The whole island will be derestricted, except towns and villages which will have a 30 limit (20 in certain areas). Entrances to towns and villages will have a proper speed camera.

* I will instigate an insurance, roadtax and licencing database. Police cars will all be fitted with an automatic number plate recognition system. Anyone on the roads without one or more of the required pieces of paper will cop for a HEAVY fine, confiscation and sale of vehicle or jail.

* I will limit newly qualified drivers to insurance group 1 and 2 vehicles for 12 months and introduce training requirements to 'upgrade' to more powerful vehicles.

* I will make skid pan training and 'after' restriction training mandatory for new drivers.

* I will introduce annual inspections for all vehicles over 4 years old, in independent test centres where profit is NOT the motivation.

* People convicted of motoring offences will have to undertake remedial training and in serious cases a retest.

* My department will lobby to make resources available for the police to prosecute motorists for driving without due consideration - in my opinion a major factor in causing accidents.

* Driving licences will become a privilege and not a right. Drivers/riders will be subject to medical examinations and retests at appriopriate ages, or after conviction, or after an accident.

* Companies/organisations/individuals found guilty of spilling diesel oil will be charged with endangering life and limb and subject to punitive fines at the very least.

* The Minister's office will have ashtrays and a proper coffee machine.

Oh, and I'll deal with constituency gripes too, I suppose. Open a couple of piers, limit immigration and relocate Old Nobles to Castletown.

Back on thread, I think I'll stand next time on a Transport ticket. It seems to be de rigeur these days to announce intentions for high office from the outset. I want to be Transport Minister.

<snippage>

I'll hold you to that, and probably move to the area you're standing in just to give you my vote.

And some reading about global warming: http://www.abd.org.uk/green_myths.htm

There are two things that will happen if this is passed by the government:

1/ people will be forced to move off island because the cost of living will be too high. Yes, there's a boat in the morning (weather and breakdowns permitting)

The result of #1: People move, businesses can't get staff, businesses move, IOM turns into a ghost town, gov says "What happened?"

2/ People will pay the money and be forced to drive at 20MPH and be out of pocket each month.

The result of #2: People want more money, businesses won't pay more money, people move, businesses can't get staff, businesses move, IOM turns into a ghost town, gov says "What happened?"

These government fuckers need to get a grip. Time for change I think, vote for someone with a spine on Thursday. I'll be asking them on the day what they think.

(good luck on Thursday Frank, I'll be with you in spirit)

This is great news.

The tide of public opinion is turning, and just like in the smoking debate, it will turn to the introduction of a speed limit.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if Amadeus carries on his campaign now he won't need a springboard for five years.

As election issues go - proved by the BBC's politics show on Sunday - the issue is immigration, immigration and immigration ... but every manifesto I've seen is piss poor on the subject. Everyone knows that Doris Corris from Peel has immigration at the top of her list because of all these "foreign fellas" over here, and that is where the votes are going to go. I'm amazed nobody has picked up on it yet. the new candidates must be totally stupid, its an easy vote grabber.

Och Aye! Especially those immigrant civil servant traffic engineers such as the Scots 'Lady' on the Ballaugh Camera Clip on the MR report who is blatently ignoring what we said in two consultations.

When in Rome, at least listen to the Romans. This to me is a specific example of our culture being eroded.

And for those that think fines from speed cameras were not part of the 'consultation' - think again. The true objectives were hidden in the small print on page one of the consultation.

post-2251-1164082554_thumb.jpg

_

Double the current car tax for everything with more than a 2l engine

Triple for 4x4s/SUVs

Island-wide 50mph speed limit

Speed limit for the Mountain Road

Yes to all of these except small 4x4 (< 1.5l engine), for example the Subaru Justy and the small Fiat 4x4.

FWIW here in Switzerland tax depends on the Canton and engine size.

And as for double and triple car tax - are the people who come up with these ideas on drugs?? Plainly they want to force a 'compliant society' where we all drive Datsun Cherries or Toyota Priapics at 20mph, everywhere. Those of us who enjoy our vehicles already pay well over the odds for tax, insurance and fuel as it is.

Those with no respect for the environment and other people should be taxed to extinction, get yourself a non-polluting hobby, try walking for a change and see how beautiful the Island is. :angry:

Watching the drivers get lairy

Is not very pretty I tell thee

Driving through town is quite scary

And not very sensible either

A friend of a friend he got overtaken

He looked the wrong way at a policeman

Would never have happened to Gelling

And old what ever in Tynwald

La-ah-ah, la la lalala la

Ah-ah-ah, la la lalala la

I predict a riot, I predict a riot

I tried to get in my tractor

A man in a suit then attacked me

He said that he saw me drive earlier

Thinks 'a great little tax earner'

Girls run around with no clothes on

To borrow a pound for a tax disc

If it wasn't for chip fat, well they'd be stranded

Good job their jeeps run on bio diesel

And if there's anybody left in here

That doesn't want to be out there

Watching the people get lairy

Is not very pretty I tell thee

Driving at all is quite scary

And not very sensible

And if there's anybody left in here

That doesn't want to be out there

Upping road tax as a way of forcing people into more fuel efficient vehicles to reduce carbon emissions is absolutely false. It's would be a money making excercise and nothing else.

Take for example someone who drives a 1.6 Ford Focus and does 15,000 miles a year. Does his car have fewer emissions than a Land Rover that does 6,000 miles a year?

The only way to do it fairly would be to scrap road tax altogether and put the additional duty on fuel. Then who uses the most pays the most. It'll be easier and cheaper to administer as well.

The only way to do it fairly would be to scrap road tax altogether and put the additional duty on fuel. Then who uses the most pays the most. It'll be easier and cheaper to administer as well.

Very true.

Upping road tax as a way of forcing people into more fuel efficient vehicles to reduce carbon emissions is absolutely false. It's would be a money making excercise and nothing else.

Take for example someone who drives a 1.6 Ford Focus and does 15,000 miles a year. Does his car have fewer emissions than a Land Rover that does 6,000 miles a year?

True. I don't understand the increasing tax to stop carbon emissions argument. The fuel still gets used, and will do until the planet runs out of oil. Taxing it higher just means that the govt make more money in the process. "Yeah the planet's knackered, but on the bright side, you're a bit poorer and we're a bit richer"

Archived