New Pc Help

Rhumsaa

Yo folks,

I realised the other day that my PC is coming on 5 years old :huh: and as such has seen better days speed wise

I could do with an upgrade but I'm so out of it nowadays with what's worth the cash and what isn't so could do with some advice

Budget wise I'd probably want to max out at £800 and would probably want a nice new TFT included in that price, my requirements are simple - I need to play WoW and I want to play Battlefield 2142 level of games

Had a look at Dell but have always been suspiscious of them - any reccomendations?

Novatech are always doing good deals on full systems or barebones if you want to just upgrade certain parts ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Wait until January and you will get an excellent deal at Dell. I bought mine with them last year and so far am 100% happy. Quality system and you can usually knock another £80 off the price of the computer for the home call out insurance which obviously wont be included here anyway...

I got a fast sysytem with a 19" high spec monitor free printer and so forth (which I flogged on ebay) for £800...

ou can usually knock another £80 off the price of the computer for the home call out insurance which obviously wont be included here anyway.

Oh dear.

The next business day warranty is valid over here, and I recommend anyone buying a Dell to include it.

I've just bought the top of the range Axim, and happily paid an extra £60 for peace of mind.

Also, if it's a laptop you're buying, you only need the mainboard or LCD to go faulty, and you're out of pocket to the tune of over £200.

I must admit that for some reason other "third party" warranties leave me cold and I would never consider one

Must admit I'm not a huge fan of Dell machines, they did seem to be fairly well built a few years ago, but now just seem to be 'thrown' together.

If you want a machine for gaming, I would steer well clear from Dell - their machines are probably fine enough for general office use, certainly not for gaming.

If you don't mind paying a few quid more, buy from one of the many local retailers at least then you will have a door you can bang on if you have any problems and won't have to pay to send your kit away if it develops a fault.

you can usually knock another £80 off the price of the computer for the home call out insurance which obviously wont be included here anyway.

Oh dear.

The next business day warranty is valid over here, and I recommend anyone buying a Dell to include it.

I've just bought the top of the range Axim, and happily paid an extra £60 for peace of mind.

Also, if it's a laptop you're buying, you only need the mainboard or LCD to go faulty, and you're out of pocket to the tune of over £200.

I must admit that for some reason other "third party" warranties leave me cold and I would never consider one

If something goes wrong with the machine in the first 6 months the onus is on the manufacturer to prove a defect so they have to fix it at no cost. If you want to pay 10% of the machine (which will be worth even less after 6 months) on the off chance that something goes wrong in the latter part of the year then fair enough. But for people on a budget around £800 it just isn't worth it.

Ive owned machines for over 12 years and the only thing to go wrong is a cd drive... (I probably shouldn't have said that now mind :) )

I agree with you in the most part Tris, as I build my own machines, and so far in about 10 years have had an IBM deathstar drive fail, and a graphics card fry due to me fiddle with a new heatsink assy. As a rule, pcs are getting more reliable.

However, I see a lot of Dell problems, and feel it wise with something along the lines of a laptop,pda or printer to get a warranty, because if/when it breaks down, chances are it'll be outside of the warranty period, and then it'll cost.

However, I see a lot of Dell problems

So don't buy Dell, even with a warranty you are likely to get problems. Why give yourself the grief. Personally only had one, the HD went down within a year, when rang support they said my warranty was invalid as I had opened the case. Fixed it myself and never bought or recommended Dell again.

What's really putting me off Dell is my missus has bought one and the power switch is getting faulty to the extent it won't turn on - losing count of the amount of indian call centre emails she's had where they tell her to open the whole case to check (which included unscrewing the hard drive bay to get to the wiring!) and check it all out using the most complicated "simple step by step instructions" I have ever seen.... well worth the £80 as they keep saying it's software issues or she's holding the button down so it shuts itself off again!

• 4 weeks later...

I've built a PC before and to be honest.... I really can't be arsed

For the amount I'd save I'd rather just have someone else do it who I can then blame if it goes wrong rather than have to go through every single fucking component myself to work out what's happened

I dont self build because of cost, I do it because I'm particular about components. Ready made pc's are often a few months behind new gear that's out.

This pc I bought from komplett.co.uk rules though,as they allow you to pick every part, then they assemble it. They're cheap too.

Archived