What Would You Change?

Ushtey

OK

So we're now only a few hours from polls opening, the campainging is pretty much over, so what would you change about the build up and procedures of elections on the Island?

Personally, I would like to see all the candidates be given a maximum size for manifestos, all delivered to the post office by 12 noon on the same date and then all posted out together. Not only would that cut out any possible plagiarism but it would also potentially save thousands of pounds in postal charges. Most people I've spoken to prefer to collect all the manifestos and read them at once.

I'd also like to see Tynwald day on the Sunday before July 5th and the elections on a Bank Holiday Monday the next day. I feel having the elections on a Bank Holiday would improve voting numbers, and it would tie the elections quite nicely with the state day for Tynwald, a ceremonial closing and reopening.

Steve

p.s. the first suggestion might mean I don't have to rely on my neighbours supplying me with copies of manifestos for those two candidates who childishly decided not to send me or my family a copy of theirs even though mine had already been published and posted.

**edited to correct typo**

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what would you change about the build up and procedures of elections on the Island?

I'd like to see the results determined by either

a. a series of intense Dance, Dance Revoltion faceoffs; or

b. a monkey in a white suit rolling dice to determine the outcome of the election.

Personally, I would like to see all the candidates be given a maximum size for manifestos, all delivered to the post office by 12 noon on the same date and then all posted out together. Not only would that cut out any possible plagiarism but it would also potentially save thousands of pounds in postal charges. Most people I've spoken to prefer to collect all the manifestos and read them at once.

That's a pretty good idea, a minimum size restriction would be nice as well ;)

I would have liked to have seen more public debate by the various candidates. Not just the requisitioned meetings, but well-chaired, audience-participation debates on MR. Perhaps even broadcasting of the requisition meetings. All I have heard so far have been effectively interviews, not full face-the-public broadcasts.

Whilst voting is rightfully optional, either Electoral registration should be compulsory or jury service should be administered seperately.

There should be a 'none of the above' option on the voting paper.

From the interest shown by pupils at Junior's school when I dropped him off this morning, the voting age should be reduced to 6.

Manifestos should not be duplicates of the tax payer subsidised 'Constituency Update' that came out in August.

Manxforums should have a political section.

I would have liked to have seen more public debate by the various candidates. Not just the requisitioned meetings, but well-chaired, audience-participation debates on MR. Perhaps even broadcasting of the requisition meetings. All I have heard so far have been effectively interviews, not full face-the-public broadcasts.

Ageed with more meetings and broadcasting them.

[cough]IOM TV[/cough]

The only such broadcast I remember this year was at Peel. It was quite early on and I think Roger Watterson had trouble controlling the hecklers although they weren't that bad imo.

Manx Radio use to broadcast meetings round local pubs. They were good fun to listen to on the radio and quite lively.

Manx Radio did away with them along with that other bastion of free speech, The Mannin Line.

I'd like it if when the turnout is down tomorrow, not one candidate or MHK will bleat on about Voter Apathy. It doesn't exist - what does exist is failure to inspire. And that's not the voter's fault but the politicians.

Well said!

I'd like it if when the turnout is down tomorrow, not one candidate or MHK will bleat on about Voter Apathy. It doesn't exist - what does exist is failure to inspire. And that's not the voter's fault but the politicians.

Well said!

I see something of a circular argument here; the politicians (i.e. the standing members) got in through the votes of the electorate, the candidates came from and were nominated by the electorate - so who is to blame for apathy?

I know what i would change.

I think the MHK's should only be able to hold office for 2 terms, i am sick of the career politics on the island its a way of keep the keys fresh.

The 16 year old voters i think is a bad idea most are too busy getting p*ssed to care.

Archived