What Would You Change?

Ushtey

Personally, I would like to see all the candidates be given a maximum size for manifestos, all delivered to the post office by 12 noon on the same date and then all posted out together.

so nobody asks the posties who would need a forklift truck each for their deliveries that day ?

B)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many suggestions here are inferring the need for increased accountability among politicians yet many of the same people are indicating they won't vote and are either denying there's voter apathy or blaming it on some one else.

You don't sack MHKs, you just don't vote for them next time.

While some scrutiny during the term is necessary, if you really want politicians to be held accountable fucking well vote.

And why have a 'none of the above' option. Just spoil your paper by writing 'Fuck you all'.

Some decent candidates in onchan who can be arsed to actually go out and meet people.

And I thought it was just me, Slim. Haven't seen any off them, not one. I did speak to Peter on the phone though.

However, even though none off them made the effort, I did make the effort to read the Manifests and will make the effort to vote in spite off their lacking.

Then explain to me how limiting your name on a tax form equates to restricting how many policies you're allowed to promote.

You're throwing the "free speech" argument into the debate, and talking about restricting promotion of policies, even when you yourself acknowledge that anyone can produce a manifesto as long as they want, can send it to whomever they want, and can stand in Strand Street shouting it as loud as they want, for as long as they want. So how exactly is there any restriction on free speech?

The suggestion was for one manifesto (not restricting the the candidates to only one manifesto) to be limited to a certain size, and posted out on the same day. There's nothing stopping the candidates sending out another one off their own backs, as big or small as they want.

It's the equivalent of all MHKs filling out a standard form to be sent to the electorate

*Name:

*DOB:

*In one thousand words, describe why you should be an MHK:

It would be limited to space for the sake of making it practical and uniform, just like the space on a tax return form.

Good idea or not, it's certainly not a restiction of free speech.

You're throwing the "free speech" argument into the debate, and talking about restricting promotion of policies, even when you yourself acknowledge that anyone can produce a manifesto as long as they want, can send it to whomever they want, and can stand in Strand Street shouting it as loud as they want, for as long as they want. So how exactly is there any restriction on free speech?

We appear to be talking at crossed purposes. Babb is bleating that he's sent out his manfiesto and someones posted theirs later and ripped his off. So he's saying manifestos should be controlled, and all posted at the same time, to uniform length to avoid such things happening.

Manifestos aren't official documents, they're created by the candidates and distrubuted as the candidate sees fit. You regulate and procedurise that and you've got free speech implications.

Seems clear cut to me.

If Babb thinks thats not fair, he's got a fucking big shock in store when he experiances the antics of daily politics, dont you think?

Archived