Did You Vote Today?

Minxie

Did you vote today?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering how many people actually used (or will use) their vote today. I'm not really into following local politics generally, but I will be voting later today, just because I can :) So if you didn't / won't be voting today why not?

I really do not like the way the ballot papers are marked with the voter number. With small communities it is very easy to match voter numbers with votes on the ballot paper and this destroys the confidentiality of the vote.

I assume it is there in case of voter fraud, but that is a rare event and for it to significantly effect the result is even rarer. In that case I'd rather have a revote than have all the suspect ballots identified and removed.

Even more concerning to me was that the Political person standing outside the polling station didn't ask me who I voted for. A legitimate question, if one I am entitled to refuse to answer. No, he asked me my voter number. I think that is highly suspect. With my voter number he would be able to identify my vote during the count. With small constituencies it would not be impossible to do this.

For a political representitive to be asking for this type of information is totally unacceptable. It is bad enough to have people pressuring you to say how you voted, but to have someone pressuring you to reveal information that could be used to confirm your vote is totally and utterly wrong.

You are in error Chinahand

1. no one can ask any questions on the way in, that is obstruction (potentially)

2. Your electoral list number was not marked on the ballot paper but on the spine stubb from where it was torn off (unless the staff are doing it wrong)

3. Yes it means that in case of fraud the ballot paper can be traced. Lets say you use somone elses electoral number, you vote and they then turn up. The returning officer can give them a pink ballot paper, they vote using that. It doesn't get counted, but if there is a criminal investigation into personation or an election petition the wrong white ballot paper can be identified from the stubb, removed and used in evidence.

4. The whole of the papers, stubbs, ballot papers etc are lodged in the Court pending any proceedings, if there are none they are destroyed. At close of poll, the used stubbs and unused ballot papers are sealed at the polloing station before being delivered to the reurning officer at the count. They remain unopened.

5. No one at the count can see who voted for whom, even by the method you allege, not even the returning officer or the poll staff or count staff. The ballot paper number is on the back, and they are counted face up!

6. The resaon the candidate or their tellers ask your name or address or number is to see who has and who hasn't voted so thye can send round cars or staff knocking on doors before poll end to encourage turn out

Even more concerning to me was that the Political person standing outside the polling station didn't ask me who I voted for. A legitimate question, if one I am entitled to refuse to answer. No, he asked me my voter number. I think that is highly suspect.

No, not at all. Having been an election candidate myself (across), I can confirm this is standard practice. It has nothing to do with opinion polling, but is related to "knocking-up". Basically, each candidate is keen to see whether his or her "pledges" has voted. To this end, names or voter numbers are collected and checked against the pledge list. Those pledges who haven't voted by mid-afternoon will find themselves receiving telephone calls, notes through the door and/or offers of transport to the polling station from the candidate(s) to whom they pledged support.

I tried to Vote on the way to work this morning, only to find I had no idea of where my polling station is.

It's on the polling card as "Laxey Methodist Church, Laxey". No road name or any other distinguishing features. As a devout atheiest, I've no idea where churches are! (And no, it's not the one behind the co-op, I looked there first)

According to Google though, it's probably on Minorca Hill. Should be fun trying to park when I vote on the way home.

I know all our candidates now and wish I could vote for them all but obviously can't otherwise there would be nio point in the election in the first place and they were ALL there when I went in and smiling and I said "good morning" and that to all of them and they really were pleasant but on the way out of the secret voting room I had to pretend to be nice to them all except four of them didnt get my vote i had no choice and then i wondered if the two whio did get my vote believed me so i had to give them an extra special smile and then i thought the others might've noticed so i gave them a second smile but fortunately the girl next door was there and said "come on - let's go for a coffee"

But it was nerve racking and Im glad we went to do it all the same.

I tried to Vote on the way to work this morning, only to find I had no idea of where my polling station is.

It's on the polling card as "Laxey Methodist Church, Laxey". No road name or any other distinguishing features. As a devout atheiest, I've no idea where churches are! (And no, it's not the one behind the co-op, I looked there first)

According to Google though, it's probably on Minorca Hill. Should be fun trying to park when I vote on the way home.

I voted there this morning - the place was deserted then.

(I even had time to put my 'Vote Schuengel' things on the car before going to work).

Archived