Richmond Hill

bazcabs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found this a 3fm

Posted on 24 Nov, 2006

There’s been a serious road traffic collision at Ballakinish Nurserys on the New Castletown road.

A vehicle and a pedestrian have been involved.

Police say one person has been taken to hospital.

Motorists are advised to use an alternative route.

The road will be closed until seven o clock.

I was caught up in the aftermath of the accident. The police were directing everybody along the Mount Murray back road. Their fellow officers at the other end then ordered everybody to turn round and go back to the main road. From there we had to turn right onto the Castletown Road.

There was no sign or indication that you were meant to cut through to the Old Castletown Road to get to Douglas.

I suppose the boys in blue assume everybody is local and knows how to get from A to B in the dark without any signs.

Male pedestrian seriously injured in road accident

Last Updated:24/11/2006 21:57:10

A man has been treated in hospital for serious injuries after a car collided with him near Ballakinnish Nurseries.

The accident happened at around 4.30pm when he was standing near the rear of a stationery vehicle when a Ford Mondeo travelling to Douglas struck him.

There was major congestion around Douglas as the road was closed for around 4 hours this evening. Extra pressure on minor roads caused chaos for police as diversion also became congested.

The main A5 reopened at around 8.30pm

Energy FM

I suppose the boys in blue assume everybody is local and knows how to get from A to B in the dark without any signs.
All was going great until someone ran out of petrol on the Mount Murray Back Road and blocked the whole thing up...... As to signs, maybe there should be some more normal road signs that people can follow even when there isn't an accident.

The Police were busy enough trying to avoid gridlock at Cooil Roundabout, Keiwage Road, the Old Castletown Road, Mount Murray and the backroad plus dealing with the accident.....

I was caught up in the aftermath of the accident. The police were directing everybody along the Mount Murray back road. Their fellow officers at the other end then ordered everybody to turn round and go back to the main road. From there we had to turn right onto the Castletown Road.

There was no sign or indication that you were meant to cut through to the Old Castletown Road to get to Douglas.

So you assume that the Police have the appropriate signs, ready made, to divert each and every motorist, at a momemts notice, to his/her appropriate destination following an unpredicted road accident? what is this mysterious foresight that you possess, perhaps you can share it with us mere mortals?

I have no idea at all if it is a contributory factor, but visibility was exceptionally poor this evening.

People who sometimes visit us from UK and other places often remark on how badly lit nearly all our roads are.

How downright rude of them - hope you repond by pointing out all the hundreds of things wrong with the UK!

Anyway, we're mainly a rural community and I'd hate to see the advance of lighting pollution like they have over there.

Its time to bring in speed cameras, the speed some people are traveling is crazy.

Lets make the roads safer for everyone in built up areas.

People seem to be in such a rush these days, i do about 50mph to 60 mph and i think that is fast enough for the manx roads.

I agree with the mountain being no limits because there is no pedestrians on that road.

And also lets get some of these R plate idiots banned, i have had countless young R plate knobs overtaking me and they were doing more that 50mph.

I would love to know how many new drivers are involved in accidents, quite a few i bet

It's not time to bring in speed cameras thank you very much, I think we are photographed enough on this Island as it is!

A knee jerk reaction to what seems like an accident and without knowing the facts again? Don't forget pedestrians have responsibilities too, and an accident in poor visibility is probably just an accident!!

Dangerous talk indeed!

So you assume that the Police have the appropriate signs, ready made, to divert each and every motorist, at a momemts notice, to his/her appropriate destination following an unpredicted road accident? what is this mysterious foresight that you possess, perhaps you can share it with us mere mortals?

Not rocket science just a sign saying 'DIVERSION' OR 'DOUGLAS'

Its time to bring in speed cameras, the speed some people are traveling is crazy.

Lets make the roads safer for everyone in built up areas.

Speed cameras won't work, people that drive in excess of the speed limit now will do so if cameras are introduced. The only thing that will change is these people will slow for the cameras and speed up once past. What it needs is a policeman with a radar gun, he can cover far more distance than a camera

People seem to be in such a rush these days, i do about 50mph to 60 mph and i think that is fast enough for the manx roads.

Speed is dictated by the prevailing conditions, quoting figures is irrelevant. I think "I drive within my abilities dictated by the prevailing conditions" would be more appropriate.

I agree with the mountain being no limits because there is no pedestrians on that road.

There are pedestrians on the mountain. As well as sheep, slow vehicles, people parked chatting on the phone, rabbits, hares, stuff that's fallen of wagons. Again, your should " drive within my abilities dictated by the prevailing conditions"

And also lets get some of these R plate idiots banned, i have had countless young R plate knobs overtaking me and they were doing more that 50mph.

If you encounter someone breaking the law such as "R plate knobs" they should be reported to the police.

I would love to know how many new drivers are involved in accidents, quite a few i bet

It’s not just new drivers involved in accidents, a number of "older" drivers cause many crashes. Retesting every two or three years might solve this. Education is the only way to counter shit drivers. (that and burning their eyes out with hot pokers)

Not rocket science just a sign saying 'DIVERSION' OR 'DOUGLAS'

Agreed.

I appreciate the fact that an accident is an accident... and unpredictable, but the police themselves weren't exactly organised. A simple sign reading "Road Accident - please use other routes" would actually help. A policeman standing with his vehicle parked half way across the Castletown Road (main roundabout close to B&Q) wasn't exactly thebest method. It was only when you were attempting to turn down that road off the roundabout that he [hesitantly] pointed you away in another direction. Actually he pointed me up towards B&Q. I turned around and went down to the Old Castletown Road, where there was more confusion. A policewoman blocked off the wrong road. Why she had to block any road is beyond me... but yeah, she did. Attempting to turn onto the Old castletown road, she now stopped all traffice and spent 3-4 mins disagreeing with a truck driver on why he couldn't drive up towards B&Q. Finally she gave way, and traffic continued. I don't think some of the police themselves knew what was going on.

Well, it's all past already... but in future, some signage would help.

We were coming from douglas just as the accident happened. We'd heard it on the radio, so we tried the road that the Mt Murrays on. We got about half way along that, and then the flow stopped. It was pissing down, and we couldn't see a thing, so like everyone else we sat and waited. And waited....

Eventually I got naffed off and got out and walked down the line, where a pickup and a van were sat facing each other. So I started getting cars to back up to a side road, and by this time another bloke had started doing the same, and finally we'd cleared it, well enough to get my car out anyway.

Why didn't anyone else get out? Why is it folks are just going to sit for as long as it takes for someone else to sort shit like this out? People are bizzare...

Anyway, we got out to the junction to mt murray and santon, pulled up alongside the copper and said not to send anyone else down that road as its jammed solid. He said 'I know mate, but I work with a complete idiot.', hehe.

Whatever inconvenience it was, my night was nowhere near as bad as the poor sods in the accident, so my thoughts go with them.

Archived