Julie Corkhill To Appeal

slinkydevil

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was this womans husband given so much time to plead her case on the 5PM Manx radio news. Surely the place for all that is in court, not crying crocodile tears and looking for public sympathy. His wife has been found guilty, and thats it until she is found otherwise by an appeal court. How many other people who have been found guilty in court have been given the same opportunity? - None!

By the way, when is the appeal to be heard, and by whom?

LOL, I almost cried when I read about the awful trauma poor Mrs Corkill had gone through. Her unblemished criminal record..oh didnt she go to court over the trees she illegally cut down? Or was that down to the DAFF confusing her and not making it clear which trees could be removed. If she was worried about her children she shouldn’t have gone cap in hand to the government in the first place. I would like to offer her my sympathy, or was is apathy?

Why was this womans husband given so much time to plead her case on the 5PM Manx radio news. Surely the place for all that is in court, not crying crocodile tears and looking for public sympathy. His wife has been found guilty, and thats it until she is found otherwise by an appeal court. How many other people who have been found guilty in court have been given the same opportunity? - None!

By the way, when is the appeal to be heard, and by whom?

MR said the new year, but the Civil case is due to start ??? or should i have said was, and it all depends if another case shes invoved with gets going.

Probably for the same reason a relatively trivial criminal case was given so much publicity in the first place.

You cant have it both ways.

I think I might feel aggrieved if I was her and the helpless recipient of the reasoning used to justify the judgement.

If ever there was an argument for the right to trial by jury ............ :rolleyes:

Absolutely, probably hoping for a cheap get out of jail free card but it never came, so the appeal is against the severity of the punishment I take it?

I think the media said it was an appeal against the conviction

iomonline - JULIE CORKILL TO APPEAL AGAINST CONVICTION

Absolutely, probably hoping for a cheap get out of jail free card but it never came, so the appeal is against the severity of the punishment I take it?

I think the media said it was an appeal against the conviction

iomonline - JULIE CORKILL TO APPEAL AGAINST CONVICTION

Ok but isn't it a waste of money to sentence her if she has apealed against the conviction? i would have thought if there was still a case to answer then the sentance,if any should go ahead after the appeal.

• 3 months later...

http://www.manxradio.com/readItem.aspx?ID=...mp;cate=General

Julie Corkill, the wife of former Chief Minister Richard Corkill, has withdrawn her appeal against convictions for dishonesty.

She was found guilty of three charges of false accounting and one of obtaining money by deception in November, at the end of a high profile trial.

The appeal was due to be heard next week.

The charges relate to grants paid by government towards development of holiday accommodation at the Corkills' former home in Onchan.

She was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £22,500 costs, and has since paid back the tourism grant.

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...ticleID=2131494

CORKILL DROPS APPEAL AGAINST FRAUD CONVICTION

JULIE Corkill has dropped her appeal against her fraud conviction.

The wife of former chief minister Richard Corkill was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £22,500 in costs in November after being convicted of three counts of false accounting and one of obtaining a tourism grant by deception.

The charges related to a tourism development carried out at the Corkills' Ballacain home in Onchan, which the couple sold last month for £1.6 million.

Mr Corkill has described his wife's conviction as a 'miscarriage of justice'.

But now she has dropped her appeal, which was due to be heard on Thursday next week.

A police spokesman said: 'We have been advised by the Attorney General's chambers that the appeal has been abandoned.'

Mrs Corkill, 52, denied four counts of false accounting and two of obtaining £90,000 in tourism grants by deception.

Following a high-profile trial, she was acquitted of one count of false accounting and one of obtaining a £43,850 tourism grant by deception, relating to private works and a holiday cottage scheme carried out at Ballacain.

But she was convicted and subsequently fined for obtaining by deception a second tourism grant for a workshop conversion, having submitted two unpaid invoices and an estimate the Crown contended was faked.

Following the sale of their Ballacain mansion in Little Mill Road, Onchan, the Corkills have repaid the tourism grants to the Department of Tourism and Leisure.

Under the rules of the grant scheme, funding had to be repaid if a holiday property is sold on within five years.

The Corkills, who are understood to be living now in Port Erin, still face civil proceedings over the Ballacain tourism development.

Frederick Colin Moore and William Kenneth Kelly, trading as GC Construction, are suing for £102,000 they say they are still owed for the work they carried out.

The Corkills have made a counter-claim for £90,000 they claim they are owed by GC Construction.

Archived