Julie Corkhill To Appeal

slinkydevil

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[bBC News]Convicted fraudster stops appeal

Tut, Tut - I'm sure they made a point of saying at her sentencing it was not 'fraud' [deception].

Read this:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/section8/chapter_a_annex_a.html

and then tell me it is not appropriate to describe someone convicted of obtaining property by deception as a fraudster. There is no specific offence or definition of 'fraud' in English criminal law (and, similarly, in Manx criminal law) - the term is used to cover a broad range of offences, and obtaining property by deception is one of them.

No risk of libel here - fortunately truth is still a complete defence, and court records are absolute proof of the truth of the statement 'Julie Corkill is a fraudster'.

Ahhh, justice can be sweet :)

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread a little and moving to a not altogether dissimilar matter:

So, a person goes into the Land Registry and alters a neighbour's title deeds in an attempt to gain some land.

Apparently that isn't fraud.

It ain't what you know, it ain't even who you know. It is who you is.

This is, after all, the Isle of Man.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread a little and moving to a not altogether dissimilar matter:

So, a person goes into the Land Registry and alters a neighbour's title deeds in an attempt to gain some land.

Apparently that isn't fraud.

It ain't what you know, it ain't even who you know. It is who you is.

This is, after all, the Isle of Man.

Thats about it yisser. Your settling in well.

Justice has been 'done' - for me, it now feels that this episode is finally over, and we can all now move on and forget this one.

Hopefully this can be an indicator to other potential 'fraudsters' that people who don't have political clout, or much money to support their causes can overcome the 'high & mighty' when they misbehave & have the support of the local community both on and off the forums.

Well done to all the contributors on this particular case, and especially, well done to the moderators for looking after what could have become a legal quagmire!

:)

Justice has been 'done' - for me, it now feels that this episode is finally over, and we can all now move on and forget this one.

I'd still like to see the civil cases resolved before I feel it's over. After all, I believe it was those pushing and fighting their civil cases that brought the legalities of what was happening to the attention of the courts

I'd still like to see the civil cases resolved before I feel it's over. After all, I believe it was those pushing and fighting their civil cases that brought the legalities of what was happening to the attention of the courts

That's very true. Let's just hope that those cases are settled 'out of court' so that we don't have any more endless threads on the subject.

So what was Mrs Corkhill actually accused and found guilty of doing?

Two being:

The work was somewhat nearing completion but the ham-fisted tourist grants department still wanted 2 estimates for the work. Fair enough, "rules is rules and its more than my job's worth to not go by the rules etc". So which contractor in his right mind would supply such an estimate under these circumstances? He would naturally be providing a false estimate in any case as he would go up to the site to see the work just about complete. So in order to appease the less than competent grants department (proven to be less than competent at trial) Mrs Corkhill provided them an estimate supplied by one of the builders. OK hardly completely above board, but under the circumstances what else could reasonably have been done? The false estimate made not one iota of difference to the whole matter.

A squiggle appeared on an invoice which the prosecution asserted was forged by Mrs Corkhill to suggest that the initials "wk" the builder had signed as being complete. It was asserted by the defence (amongst other things) that the squiggle could have been "w/c" (work complete). Whatever it was or it was not, the work was in any case complete or certainly near complete.

I have it on extremely good authority that the authorities have no interest in prosecuting or investigating anyone who lies in court in the Isle of Man, even under oath. The authorities have no interest in investigating blatant forging of documents. It is also not an offence to withhold documents that might not do your case any good. On the Isle of Man you enter into litigation going against quite unknown forces and in this particular case Mrs Corkill was up against forces whereby matters that would probably attract no more than - at most - a caution in the UK became a huge expensive and life ruining trial in the Manx Courts.

A neighbour of mine worked in a Local Authority Grants Department in the UK dealing with many thousands of applications and found the whole Corkhill trial absolutely farcical. Double estimates? Grants claimed before completion? They were everyday occurrences.

However, if the Corkhill trial is to be used as a beacon and set a precedent as to how we carry out business on the Isle of Man then I expect to see the Courts entertaining quite a few high profile figures of the establishment in the near future.

I for one wish the Corkhill's all the very best for the future. Yes, they were part of the establishment and so fell on the sword but the 'crime' was indeed small compared to what some of the big wigs have gotten up to.

I hope Mrs Corkill keeps her (rumoured) promise that if she goes down then so does the whole pack of cards.

Except she didn't 'go down' did she. And who is going to listen to her - certainly not the Isle of Man establishment.

In any case we wait with baited breath.

Archived