Who Will Be The New Chief Minister?

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I don't have anything specific against John (other than the fact that he's very slow in dealing with written correspondence!), I have a feeling that he's 'teflon-coated' in the same way that Blair used to be. Somehow, he's just never there when the really hard decisions are being made and it ends up being difficult to pin any blame on him for anything. That may be an admirable quality for someone being a minister, but I don't think it's really the quality required for Chief Minister.

However, if the choice is between him and Toilet-brush Brown, then it's no contest.

Other candidates may well include Steve Rodan - who would actually be my preferred choice because I know him well enough to be aware of his honesty and his work ethic, plus the fact that I believe he has the the kind of 'gravitas' that the position requires and which, IMO, John will not acquire for a few years yet.

David Cannan may decide to stand - although his chances are virtually non-existent. Had it not been for Mt Murray et al, the debate would probably be unnecessary as Alan Bell would have been the natural successor.

My choice, in the end, is Steve Rodan (which seems to be a surprisingly popular one with people I've talked to in Douglas over the last few days).

My prayer is don't choose the Toilet Brush!

Ask a few doctors their opinion on this. :(

On a brighter note I think if Steve Rodan got in as CM the BBC would be able to report about the Isle of Man having a Scottish Chief Minister - cue soundbites about it being legal to kill Scotsmen on the fore shore, ad nauseum

Together with the 16 year olds vote thing, we come out of this election thing in a rather good light.

- and can we just draw a line under MEA Millions et al, and move on .

I'm actually pretty good at using gut wrenchingly crass political cliches, dontacha think?

On a brighter note I think if Steve Rodan got in as CM the BBC would be able to report about the Isle of Man having a Scottish Chief Minister - cue soundbites about it being legal to kill Scotsmen on the fore shore, ad nauseum

Scotland:

Country Profile

Location: Europe Coordinates (aerial Bombardment) 57° 0' N 4° 0' W

Capital: Edinburgh

Area: 78742 km2

Boundaries: (km) England

Timezone: GMT (0) whenever the pubs are shut

Population: 5.055 M - though decreasing thank god - easily identified by people who can't speak properly

Average IQ: Unknown (Instruments with low level sensitivity currently in development)

Main Exports: manufactured goods, fuels, chemicals; beverages, tobacco, politicians and really stupid, nay, stupendously stupid nanny state policies

Natural Hazards: winter windstorms; floods, most of it's people - especially when they've had a few or are at a football match

Physical Features Highly mountainous areas, very cold, drab, boring, and expensive to get to by train, car (or aerial bomber)

Not my favourite people - probably because I remember too many drunken, loudmouthed, fighting Scots in Douglas, back in the days when there were IOM holidaymakers and the dreaded 'Scots week'.

Rant over... :P

Manx chief minister please!

Who will be the next Chief Minister? MR Clicky

I'd vote for John Shimmin. Manx, intelligent and a good speaker.

Albert

As you were the starter of this thread how about adding a poll with a few names out of the hat, Alan Bell, John Shimmin, David Cannan, Tony Brown and whoever anyone else thinks are up for it!

Cheers Albert

LT

Who will be the next Chief Minister? MR Clicky

I'd vote for John Shimmin. Manx, intelligent and a good speaker.

Albert

As you were the starter of this thread how about adding a poll with a few names out of the hat, Alan Bell, John Shimmin, David Cannan, Tony Brown and whoever anyone else thinks are up for it!

Cheers Albert

LT

Good idea (er...I think). Will do that after nominations for CM close at 5pm.

My choice, in the end, is Steve Rodan (which seems to be a surprisingly popular one with people I've talked to in Douglas over the last few days).

Nothing against the chap but its a bit like having a non-American President of the USA.

According to the BBC evening news, three candidates have declared: David Cannan, Steve Rodan and John Shimmin.

Horse trading, thats what will happen, JS will get the CM job, DC to treasury and Mr Rodan stuck at DHSS thats if they toe the line.

Archived