Who Will Be The New Chief Minister?

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[17:18

Breaking News - Tony Brown is to be Chief Minister (only nomination).

But he still has to be voted in by Tynwald, so I guess a few spoilt papers could make for more fun and games.

Tynwald Standing Orders would suggest that Mr Brown is now the man.

5.3 (4) If the number of candidates does not exceed the number of vacancies

the President shall declare the candidates elected

Of course all this has been planned for a long time with the deputy Speaker Hazel Hannan taking the seat of Speaker.

Oh, except tha . . . .

The new MHK for Douglas West believes yesterday's failed attempt to elect a new Chief Minister was "democracy in action".

Everyone had their own mind made up as to whom they were going to vote for?!?

Democracy? I don’t think so.

After a second round of nominations for the job of Chief Minister, long-serving Castletown MHK Tony Brown will be the sole candidate vying for the top job in Manx politics a week tomorrow.

Vying? I don’t think so.

ABANDON SHIP!

Seriously, if Toilet Brush is the best we've got to be Chief Minister then the island really has sunk to it's lowest ebb.

As a Manxman, I never thought I'd say this - but we now know that we're incapable of running our own affairs.

I feel sickened.

ABANDON SHIP!

Seriously, if Toilet Brush is the best we've got to be Chief Minister then the island really has sunk to it's lowest ebb.

As a Manxman, I never thought I'd say this - but we now know that we're incapable of running our own affairs.

I feel sickened.

My offer for German lessons and help with relocation still stands - group discounts also available...

what sort of picture of the IOM are people going to get when they see TB being interviewed international tv news...I've nothing against him as a person but I just don't think he comes over with the require gravitas and appearance of a national leader... I just hope he thinks about the image that others will see and realise he's not the man to convey the best image of the IOM and will stand aside...

What so disgusts me about this is that there is no choice for us to even comment on.

I think it is an incredible surrender by the other candidates.

John Shimmin has a lot of explaining to do … what has changed him from being a prospective chief minister to a simple spectator? Will he be voting for Mr Brown, if so what has changed: a few days ago he considered himself the best candidate to be CM, now he would seem to consider Brown to be. He hasn’t competed against Brown in an election, but has surrendered without a fight.

Mr Brown is an expert at being the only candidate for a post.

I find this whole thing sickening. Prior to the elections he said his priority was getting the Speakership, he achieve this, but now without putting himself up to a competitive vote to see how he compares with the other candidates he’s handed CM on a plate.

Democracy in action my arse: back room deals and back scratching. Is this what we are reduced to. Its pathetic. This way everyone can be mates with Tony; no opposition candidates; no one having to risk putting an alternative opinion.

Oh what a lovely consensus we have.

I want to know why; a week ago Brown was just keeping his head down and smirking. He didn’t publicly declare an interest or campaign; now it seems he’s the only choice.

The only choice – Speaker Brown. That is a sad joke; and a total indictment of the other politicians in Tynwald.

Democracy in action my arse: back room deals and back scratching. Is this what we are reduced to. Its pathetic. This way everyone can be mates with Tony; no opposition candidates; no one having to risk putting an alternative opinion.

Oh what a lovely consensus we have.

What a bunch of tossers.

Who should be surprised though ? The election result [yes the general election] amounted to a positive endorsement, by the general public, of what had passed before.

Take today's events as a signpost to things to come.

As far as I can see, what Tony Brown has done is exactly the same as Leonard Singer in Ramsey, got a safe position and then put himself forward for a better post once he was secure in the first. At least Mr Singer had the courage of his convictions and took the risk of ending with nothing.

I cannot believe Tony Brown has only decided in the last 24hrs that he is the best candidate to be Chief Minister and is willing to tackle the role, so why not declare right from the start?

If that's the level of confidence and the example being set in Government now, what does it bode for the future?

I'm similarly disappointed in the other candidates, if they believed in themselves previously they should have stuck to it in this round or nominated Tony Brown from the beginning.

Open letter and PM sent to John Shimmin

Dear Mr Shimmin,

I would really appreciate hearing some of your opinions on the current situation with the Chief Ministership.

I am incredibly disappointed about the way the process has become a coronation without the opportunity to debate the merits of competing candidates.

This is bad for democracy and the Manx political system. Two days ago you considered yourself the most appropriate candidate, now you do not think it is even worth putting your name forward. Are you going to explain to the public this remarkable turnround?

Regards

Chinahand

Open letter to Mr Rodan

Dear Mr Rodan,

I would really appreciate hearing some of your opinions on the current situation with the Chief Ministership.

I am incredibly disappointed about the way the process has become a coronation without the opportunity to debate the merits of competing candidates.

This is bad for democracy and the Manx political system. Two days ago you considered yourself the most appropriate candidate, now you do not think it is even worth putting your name forward. Are you going to explain to the public this remarkable turnround?

Regards

Chinahand

PS. If you are a lurker on this site ... why don't you register and become a subscriber and put something back.

Open letter to all MHKs

Dear Recently elected MHK,

This is bad for democracy and the Manx political system.

I would like to understand why none of you have considered standing against Mr Brown and allowing a competitive election to be held.

Regards

Chinahand

PS If you are lurk on this site ... why don't you register and become a subscriber and put something back.

Open letter and PM ..............

FFS ChinaHand. These guys [MHKs per se] have little or no interest in the general public.

They also seem to have little or no interest in their own credibility [witness today's events]

If, by some chance , any of the MHKs deign to answer, dont expect a frank and honest account.

Archived