Who Will Be The New Chief Minister?

Albert Tatlock

I have probably missed something, but I really do not understand why one of Mr R and Mr S stood. After the vote, I thought one would stand down and leave the way clear for the other, but they BOTH stood down and let Brown in with, barring something exceptional, a straight walk to the job!

I am dumbfounded, but perhaps I shouldn't be???

But that presupposes that either Shimmin or Rodan's votes would have all switched to the other.

I guess neither could muster enough to beat Brown, so we'd be left with stalemate and inconclusive vote after inconclusive vote.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any suggestions?

Yes, actually:

Objection! Protest! Revolution!

I can't start it, though - just a 'stopover', general history, and all that... :rolleyes:

Over to you, people of the Isle of Man - if you're in any way serious about the future of your island, and in your objections to the (only) current candidate for the position of Chief Minister, then I'd expect you to make some serious noise, to protest, to be outside the wedding cake next thursday, very clearly voicing your objections to all this...

And I'm not in the slightest bit kidding here - if I was 'back home', and any such situation came along, I would get off my couch and out onto the street immediately - there are times when you need to take action, and this might well be one of them.

It is now up to you to restore democracy, and don't give me any of this "ah..what can I do.." stuff - you can do an awful lot, so better get organised - less than a week to go now....

I have probably missed something, but I really do not understand why one of Mr R and Mr S stood. After the vote, I thought one would stand down and leave the way clear for the other, but they BOTH stood down and let Brown in with, barring something exceptional, a straight walk to the job!

I am dumbfounded, but perhaps I shouldn't be???

But that presupposes that either Shimmin or Rodan's votes would have all switched to the other.

I guess neither could muster enough to beat Brown, so we'd be left with stalemate and inconclusive vote after inconclusive vote.

Presupposing and guessing is all very well, but unless they actually stand we'll never know. The point is Brown is the 2nd choice 2/3 of Tynwald's and only the first choice of less than 1/3 ... do you really suppose the entire set of vote spoilers were unanimously for Brown.

If there was a competitive election it would be hard fought and close. If Brown used the same logic as Shimmin he wouldn't stand; but he's used reverse psychology on the other candidates and now is being presented as the unanimous choice. That is absolute bollox.

If there was a competitive election it would be a tight race with it being clear who the best man was.

This way a candidate has used back room manoeuvrings to be crowned Chief Minister.

If Brown stood competitively and won, I’d be disappointed, but accept that he was acknowledged by his peers as the best choice. Currently he is a compromised alternative choice who is using the fact no one else is standing to make himself out to be the unanimous choice: that is untrue and will give his administration a false legitimacy.

This bodes very badly when the inevitable tensions arise; people aren’t loyal to Tony; they’ve just ended up with him.

Tony Brown default Chief Minister: sums him up; sums up the Island’s political process.

We need reform.

Brown used ... reverse psychology on the other candidates ... a candidate has used back room manoeuvrings to be crowned Chief Minister.

If this is correct, I find it deeply unpleasant behaviour from a possible new Chief Minister.

The whole thing is totally bizarre. Like a squirrel stashing nuts, Brown accepts the role of Speaker. He then makes a decision not to stand in the open contest for Chief Minister. He then changes his mind and decides to stand for Chief Minister.

Starting to feel a tad too light on his feet for my taste.

Any suggestions?

Yes, actually:

Objection! Protest! Revolution!

I can't start it, though - just a 'stopover', general history, and all that... :rolleyes:

Would that general history include answering the Independant's querry about who you would like to see as CM with the words "I want to see what each of the candidates is offering the island before deciding who to support." This mess has been caused because we elected candidates who took such an approach. This is a result of your proposed course of action, but now you are calling for demonstrations.

Can't agree there Declan. This mess has apprently been caused because of some back room shenanigans and some tactical posturing by candidates.

Of course, MHKs want to see what prospective candidates would offer the Island before voting for them, I really cannot see a problem with that. I can, however, see a problem with the decision to stand down and leave the way clear for someone who didn't put his head on the line in the first round of voting. Very, very disappointed.

Can't agree there Declan. This mess has apprently been caused because of some back room shenanigans and some tactical posturing by candidates.

Of course, MHKs want to see what prospective candidates would offer the Island before voting for them, I really cannot see a problem with that. I can, however, see a problem with the decision to stand down and leave the way clear for someone who didn't put his head on the line in the first round of voting. Very, very disappointed.

But by copping out prior to election leaves it open for "back-room shenanigans" after. CM Candidates should declare before election day and potential MHK's should be pressed to say who they'd support.

Peter Karran for Chief Minister then.

I want to see the day that Jeremy Paxman interviews Peter Karran.

The furrowed Paxman brow.

The look of disbelief in those all seeing eyes.

The smile almost breaking out into a laugh as the PK lexicon tumbles out.

But mainly bewilderment.

Archived