Who Will Be The New Chief Minister?

Albert Tatlock

From Manx Radio ...

Two members opted to take the oath of allegiance in Manx, Phillip Gawne and Quintin Gill - both Rushen members. Mr Gawne displayed his fluency whilst Mr Gill referred to notes.

Do you think this was as funny as it reads?

Wasn't nominations for CM supposed to be up today?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very dissapointed in bell - he was the only viable one, never mind mt murray and all that bollocks, hes got a level head and wont show us up!

the best man standing would be cannan. but he's not got a hope in hells chance.

very dissapointed in bell - he was the only viable one, never mind mt murray and all that bollocks, hes got a level head and wont show us up!

Cannan is 70! That might sound ageist but the CM job is very demanding, much more so than being MHK for Michael. And there are still some of us around who remember his last time in office!

At the end of the day all Ministers and Department members are just faces.

The real powermongers are the chief civil servants - they're the ones pulling the strings. Who we vote for don't really know what's going on politically. So we shouldn't be too fussed about who gets what job

Kate Beecroft used that oft used line at the Middle Requisition meeting in Marown.

Lo and Behold there was a woman (presumably senior) Civil Servant in the audience who gave her a right dressing down for making the suggestion.

Maybe only the weak and wimpish politicians are manipulated by egotistical and power hungry civil servants.

But we dont have any weak and wimpish politicians and neither do we have egotistical and power hungry civil servants. Do we.

An example. Let's take Treasury Minister.

What qualifications do they have to know what taxes to apply and which to cut etc?

The Island's finances are not determined by the Minister but by someone (plus his team) within the department. The TM just signs the documents okaying the proposals.

Corkill was TM ffs

Department members sign documents, cheques etc. Do you think they know what they're signing

Why do you think major issues/scandals etc come about. On the whole politicans don't know what's going on within Government until it's brought to their attention.

An example. Let's take Treasury Minister.

What qualifications do they have to know what taxes to apply and which to cut etc?

The Island's finances are not determined by the Minister but by someone (plus his team) within the department. The TM just signs the documents okaying the proposals.

Corkill was TM ffs

Department members sign documents, cheques etc. Do you think they know what they're signing

Why do you think major issues/scandals etc come about. On the whole politicans don't know what's going on within Government until it's brought to their attention.

To be fair, no-one is an expert in these matters until they hold the position and they are ADVISED by senior civil servants. The point is that civil servants should advise their minister, but the minister should be savvy enough to steer the line they want to follow, understand the advice given and to question it. The imbalance comes when the civil servants are not controlled/directed by the minister and end up setting policy, because the minister does not have the wit to argue and test the advice given. Within a very short space of time, civil servants advising a weak minister will know what can be dished up and swallowed, hook, line and sinker.

Well the woman who shouted Kate Beecroft down was very formidable. It would take a very strong minister to fight her.

Maybe if Mrs Beecroft had been able to retort with a few good examples, she would now be MHK for Middle.

I have just read the thread on motorists and heard Mr Hannay smirkily talking about getting the All Island Speed Limit back on the agenda. Manx Radio Report

Civil Servants runs this country, you marks my words. Highly paid smug Civil Servants.

What planet are you on? Bell is tainted. Correct me if I am wrong but did'nt he once work in the IOM bank? Was'nt he running a little clothes shop, or something like that, when he was first elected to MHK? Strange job move.

Smug?

And why would they be smug Lard. The senior civil servants that I've had anything to do with have been anything but smug. Knackered, depressed, disillusioned might be a few words I could use to describe them but definitely not smug.

I can see that there are some who do not do their best but can also understand that years of working in government takes its toll on a man (and a woman).

I know it's the done thing to knock everyone who has worked their socks off to get into senior positions, but the majority do the job because they want to make a difference.

OK . . . ok . . . not ALL of them. But certainly some and that might include top of the tree women too.

I know some senior civil servants who are nice pleasant hard-working well-meaning people. I know some who certainly aren't. But maybe that's just from my perspective.

So for example Bruce Hannay has chosen to go on the big offensive with the All Island Speed Limit before the ink was even dry on the Liber Juramentorum. What if other top notch execs decided to get their own little hobby horses going right now?

Perhaps they will, although no doubt they will have the sense and gall to at least wait until their minister is known.

*no hard working, non-egotistical, intelligent and well-meaning civil servants were intended to be harmed in the writing of this post

-

I see the Isle of Man online poll is strongly in favour of someone called None of the Above. I didn't hear him announce his intention to stand. Anyone know who this N O T Above person is?

Don't forget the polls are irrelevant. We have no say in who is Chief Minister - its up to Tynwald now so whatever the IOM Online poll says is simply not relevant.

Over 60% saying none of the above is not good in terms of public opinion, but its not public opinion that counts don't forget that.

Archived