Who Will Be The New Chief Minister?

Albert Tatlock

at this time in our history I would rather err more on the side of Manx culture. IMHO, if anything it has never been more important to disconnect the island from automatically linking to legislation being implemented in the UK (in all areas from road pricing/taxing and speed cameras to a raft of anti civil rights legislation such as ID cards), currently being driven by extremists and lobbyists and based predominately on fear and misinformation.

I absolutely agree. Just by standing still the Island is improving itself compared to the UK.

Which one of the three is tough enough to stand up to the UK on these issues?

Could we regard Rodan as being Manx in culture but not by birth?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could we regard Rodan as being Manx in culture but not by birth?

I wouldn't disagree with that - unfortunately I have not seen/heard enough information to make that call. The culture aspect is the most important to me, as it represents many of those factors that differentiate the island with the UK, and which are the basis for which most people extol the virtues of living here.

Manx born, I currently live and work in both the UK and the island. The UK has changed dramatically for the worse in 20 years, and I would do everything I could to keep out some of the pernicious policies and thinking that is rife in the UK - and it's consequences. I think the UK is past saving, save for a dramatic reversal of a wide range of legislation, which is now highly unlikely. I'd hate to see the island go that way, but unfortunately it is creeping, albeit more slowly, in the same direction at present - and the main reasons for that it the legislation we are adopting. What we need now, IMHO, is a nationalistic, commonsense leader, who will break this seemingly unbreakable legislative tie with the UK, which is doing as much damage for the island as Blairs current relationship with Bush is doing for the UK. Much of that link is due to seemingly uncontrollable 'senior' civil servants (often from the UK themselves) who need reigning in. These people are unelected, yet lobby for their own views within government.

We can think for ourselves and should be more assertive. Otherwise we will be just another UK county within 10 years. I just wish all candidates would see the link between cultural change and adopting the legislation of any nearby state. It's not rocket science.

I realize pigeon holing isn't a good idea, but anyone have any idea how these candidates sit on the left wing, right wing spectrum?

I'm clueless! I think JS is all in favour of low taxes and flexibility (traditionally right wing policies), but where does he stand on regulation of business, union rights, minimum wage etc (ie traditionally left wing policies)? and the others?

I find it very sad that an accident of birth is seen as a more important qualification than competence. Maybe that's what's meant when saying we get the government we deserve.

I've nothing against JS, he's a good politician (who polled the second highest number of votes in his constituency) or against SR (who received over 70% of the votes cast in a largely Manx constituency), but I think the people who insist that JS is a preferred candidate purely and simply because he's Manx while SR was born in Scotland, are showing the kind of narrow-minded bigotry for which, regrettably, our island is famous.

I don't think that was what I was saying. The point is they are both equally good candidates, but JS being Manx has the edge. I'm afraid an accident of birth does matter when you are talking about a figurehead who will be projecting the IOM overseas.

The problem is we do not help ourselves in that we want to link to the UK when it helps us. I understand why but I remember a good few years ago there was a lot of table thumping about independence at the same time as a demand to be able to buy UK lottery tickets in the IoM. I looked on thinking what do you want as on the one hand their is a demand for more independence whilst at the same time demanding to become part of the UK in respect to the lottery

Being part of the Uk lottery still seems stange to me as OK after various years of lobbying IoM residents may be able to claim grants but it is the UK's lottery and last time I looked the IoM was not part of the UK.

This is one of my private soap boxes but I think that at times the IoM could do more to give itself a distinct identity to visitors etc rather than just look like an english county. I admit though it is better at this than Jersey. If you go to Wales and especially parts of North and Mid Wales it is obvious that you are not in England as all signs are bi lingual. If this was brought into the IoM it would help give a much better sense of seperation from England. I acknowledge to an extent this has been done better over recent years it terms of road names and the Water Authority having its name in Manx on the side of its Vans.

This need not be done at once but as and when signs need replacing or new signs appear. It might also help get rid of eyesores like the big blue & white plastic sign for Customs House, the VAT office, by the railway station.

Finally while on the soap box it might also be a much better way of introducing a consciousness of the Manx Language back into society as I am aware of many Manx friends who know more words of welsh than they do of Manx from either visiting Wales on holiday and constently seeing the signs or watching Pobel y Cwm on day time TV in the past.

I do not know much about SR or JS views in respect of Manx culture but it is often "comeovers" who notice these things more as life time residents have grown up with the status quo. Whereas "comeovers" may be more actively looking for the differences

at this time in our history I would rather err more on the side of Manx culture. IMHO, if anything it has never been more important to disconnect the island from automatically linking to legislation being implemented in the UK (in all areas from road pricing/taxing and speed cameras to a raft of anti civil rights legislation such as ID cards), currently being driven by extremists and lobbyists and based predominately on fear and misinformation.

Well I've been doing some history on Scotland and the isle of Man.

If mr Rodan becomes Chief Minister he would be in a better position to get Scotland back as part of the Isle of Man.

personally I see him as one of us exetp he plays the bagpipes, wears a skirt and drinks a wee dram now and then, but there again so do I (not the skirt and bagpipes thing though)

As a "skirt" wearer myself on occasions there are Welsh, Irish and Manx kilts. I have never seen or heard of an English Kilt but would not surprise me if there is an a cornish or nothumbrian version. Same on the old liquer so may be only down to bagpipes and I am not even sure on that as there are definately other celtic versions. All sound like a stangled cat to me though

Well I've been doing some history on Scotland and the isle of Man.

personally I see him as one of us exetp he plays the bagpipes, wears a skirt and drinks a wee dram now and then, but there again so do I (not the skirt and bagpipes thing though)

Although my first choice candidate (Allan Bell) didn't stand, my initial reaction was that Steve Rodan would be my preference. Having now read the various candidates' manifestos, my opinion has shifted in favour of John Shimmin.

In particular, it's Mr Rodan's taxation plans that worry me. The principle of increasing tax for additional health service funding is not without merit, but the timing and method seem inappropriate to me. In an era when Jersey and Guernsey are raising taxes to cover the cost of following our zero-ten approach, we should be keeping expenditure tightly under control and reducing taxation if at all possible, to put clear blue water between ourselves and those jurisdictions - making the Isle of Man the clear British offshore centre of choice for ultra-high net worth individuals, investors and corporations.

At the same time, a national insurance levy of 1% or more above the upper earnings threshold is a policy taken directly from the current UK Government - and opens the door to a plethora of stealth taxes, all distorting the real tax burden on IOM residents. In fairness, Mr Rodan has revealed his plan prior to election, whereas Blair and Brown unveiled theirs about nine months after being re-elected, but the setting of a new top rate of tax, the freezing of personal allowances over several years or an increase in the tax cap from £100,000 could all achieve the same income with much greater transparency.

Mr Shimmin's manifesto strikes me as clear, concise and well argued, and I find myself agreement with many (although not all) of the points he makes.

That leaves Mr Cannan. I am unclear as to why he declared his candidature in the first place (I cannot imagine he will receive many votes other than his own, although the Liberal Vannin contingent may vote for him out of sheer perversity), and was frankly rather shocked by his manifesto. It is really a collection of platitudes and truisms, designed for obfuscation rather than communication, and studiously avoids committing him to any concrete policies. Where he does make a relatively clear statement, he immediately puts the opposite point of view to avoid alienating anyone, and for the most part confines himself to bland generalities with which no reasonable person could disagree.

It is my belief that Mr Cannan has only one person at the centre of everything that he does and that is himself.

Him being self-centred would certainly explain why he is near the top of the rudest and most arrogant people that I've ever met.

I reckon Shimmin will get it, mostly for the same reasons that everyone has already said.

John Shimmin gave Alan Bell a lot of moral support during the Mount Murray enquiry at Strathalan.

You mean he didn't turn his back on him?

Of course not, Alan was facing a stiff probe and had his back to the wall.

Stav.

:lol:

In particular, it's Mr Rodan's taxation plans that worry me. The principle of increasing tax for additional health service funding is not without merit, but the timing and method seem inappropriate to me. In an era when Jersey and Guernsey are raising taxes to cover the cost of following our zero-ten approach, we should be keeping expenditure tightly under control and reducing taxation if at all possible, to put clear blue water between ourselves and those jurisdictions - making the Isle of Man the clear British offshore centre of choice for ultra-high net worth individuals, investors and corporations.

I must admit thought his plan was naive and ignored the point. We are spending too much on the health service and there are no proper controls in place, I can't stop them spending more otherwise I'll keep getting a vote of no confidence, so I'll raise taxes and give them more money to spend without introducing proper controls.

John Shimmin's plans regarding reigning in government costs and doing away with the tourist board at least recognise the problem - government spending is out of control and someone needs to bring it back in line.

We are spending 2/3 rds of our national income on a health service and it ain't that good either (although its got some great buildings with paintings in them) - the answer is not to give them more money. The answer is to break some heads and cut costs and if its politically unacceptable to cut costs in health cut them somewhere else.

If the thread were entitled - Who is the Best Person for the Job - i would be very tempted to stick my head above the parapet and say Eddie Teare. A few more years of government experience would help him (and us) of course, but I could see him being a strong contender next time.

I would second that Roxanne, but I think Eddie is in the best place for his talents and expertise at the mo, sorting out the MEA and really shouldn't be distracted from that pig's ear.

We are spending 2/3 rds of our national income on a health service and it ain't that good either (although its got some great buildings with paintings in them) - the answer is not to give them more money. The answer is to break some heads and cut costs and if its politically unacceptable to cut costs in health cut them somewhere else.

Im glad Im not the only one who thinks there is something amiss with the IOM Health Service.

Im sure you know people who work at Nobles. Ask them about the overtime kings and queens. The money spent on call outs, standby rotas and overtime must be incredibly high. They need a good people manager at the hospital to sort out proper shift and standby arrangements.

Im glad Im not the only one who thinks there is something amiss with the IOM Health Service.

Im sure you know people who work at Nobles. Ask them about the overtime kings and queens. The money spent on call outs, standby rotas and overtime must be incredibly high. They need a good people manager at the hospital to sort out proper shift and standby arrangements.

Because of the scale of the hospital the whole thing has built up a momentum of its own, and its badly managed and nobody seems to be accountable. Any attempt at reigning in costs is met with a threat of a vote of no confidence, and there is a "money no object" attitute to everything they do (including big cash incentives to bring staff over to work).

Its symptomatic of many other aspects of government expenditure - throwing money at a problem does not seem to fix it you just end up employing more managers, consultants, and advisers who make the problem even bigger than it was.

Many basic services here are becoming detatched from reality and seem to think that the IOM taxpayer is the source of a bottomless pit of money. With initiatives such as zero / ten this is not the commercial reality we live in I'm afraid.

Archived