Who Will Be The New Chief Minister?

Albert Tatlock

I just think we should recheck the figures, you know, lies.damned lies and statistics

We spend 128 million on health care, 40 million on GP amd primary services and 68 million on the hospitals. 28 million comes from NI, not tax. Total spend is thus net 100 million.

Governemnt income (excluding NI) is 550 million. I make that a spend on hospital services as 12% and on GP services 8 %

For Social Services the spend is 46 million

For social security the spend is 185 million of which 128 million is NI funded and the balance funded out of taxation

Yes total DHSS gross spend is £380 million but net after NI and other income it is £200 million. That is 40% of Government income

Tax at 150 million and Vat at nearly 400 million give an income of 550 million, but with NI, and all sorts oif other incomes from all sorts of fees, duties etc total income is over 770 million.

Health in total is £128 million or about 17% Hospital health care is 80 million so about 11%

I just want to know where the scare figures come from that hospital care is costing 340 million or even hospitals and GP's combined are costing 340 million. It doesn't and we are not spending 67 % of national income on DHSS including pensions we are spending 50% and have a large invested fund, currently going up in value

I am not saying be profligate, I do support a close examination of how the money is spent but are things really that bad, and does dsitorting the figures do any of us any good

Figures all from 2006/7 budget estimates

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think we should recheck the figures, you know, lies.damned lies and statistics

We spend 128 million on health care, 40 million on GP amd primary services and 68 million on the hospitals. 28 million comes from NI, not tax. Total spend is thus net 100 million.

Governemnt income (excluding NI) is 550 million. I make that a spend on hospital services as 12% and on GP services 8 %

For social security the spend is 185 million of which 128 million is NI funded and the balance funded out of taxation

Yes total DHSS gross spend is £380 million but net after NI and other income it is £200 million. That is 40% of Government income

Tax at 150 million and Vat at nearly 400 million give an income of 550 million, but with NI, and all sorts oif other incomes from all sorts of fees, duties etc total income is over 770 million.

Health in total is £128 million or about 17% Hospital health care is 80 million so about 11%

I just want to know where the scare figures come from that hospital care is costing 340 million or even hospitals and GP's combined are costing 340 million. It doesn't and we are not spending 67 % of national income on DHSS including pensions we are spending 50% and have a large invested fund, currently going up in value

I am not saying be profligate, I do support a close examination of how the money is spent but are things really that bad, and does dsitorting the figures do any of us any good

Monitoring spend as a percentage of GDP is a good indication of whether the government are going to run into trouble in the future i.e. money in - money out = money left (or money owed!)

The indications are that we will run into very serious problems if these spending trends continue. As a percentage of GDP our figures far outstrip health spending in most other countries.

Any failure to properly audit and control health and other spending is likely to lead to a major funding crisis in around 5 years, IMHO, at least because of:

1. Zero rate tax initiatives

2. The slow (and levelling) growth rate in a variety of sectors.

3. Less take on future taxation (e.g. alcohol/tobacco) - without income tax and other tax increases

4. Increasing regulation on financial services (the most devastating impact so far - IMO)

5. The higher inflation rate in the NHS (drugs/new drugs etc.)

6. The higher inflation rate in building infrastucture - as well as poor requirements definition and poor project control.

7. The failure to fully diversify the economy (people are only playing at it at the moment)

8. The realisation that the good times of high income have gone (if the government continue to attract new business and investment at the poor rate they are doing so)

9. The Civil Service:Population ratio is too high

10. Viv Nicholson MHK - i.e. the past spend spend spend attitude, little realising the impact of 1 - 9 above as well as many other factors that seem to get little mention in government including the increasing proportion of pensioners (Manx born - or simply moving over here from the UK and using our resources).

The financial indicators are all there, you just have to look for them.

All good well thought out words.

As I see it, the Isle of Man really has been awash with money over the past few years but those who have managed to get their hands on it will be quite happy to move to Cyprus (or wherever else they choose to go) for the rest of their days. They'll not be here for the downturn.

Those that may have been able to do a bit of troughing surreptitiously and have little social conscience will probably stay here quite comfortably, thank you.

All this intellectual and pseudo-intellectual talk is all very well I suppose but is ok for amusement only.

There's still a big honey pot there - Freedom to Fleece, for those so inclined. And chuck a few crumbs to the masses to keep them happy.

On a bit more constructive note - the three nominees so far are being interviewed on Manx Radio's Opinion Programme right now.

(Must be recorded because one of them was on this very forum just a few minutes ago ;) )

Edited to say that it must have been live (although there was no one in the Manx Radio webcam studio). Questions are being taken live now on Manx Radio.

I think I'll phone up and do a bit of nip nip nipping.

I didn't phone in but I thought the question regarding voting for Richard Corkill as an MLC was well put. The answers were very interesting too.

Strange none of them ruled it out. I also thought the reaction from the presenter was very odd.

Why was it inappropriate for a Manx Voter to ask the potential CM's or any MHK for that matter,about Corkill's suitibility to be an MLC?

Strange none of them ruled it out. I also thought the reaction from the presenter was very odd.

Why was it inappropriate for a Manx Voter to ask the potential CM's or any MHK for that matter,about Corkill's suitibility to be an MLC?

I got the impression its a done deal. At the end of the day who are we mere mortals to suggest that it looks highly odd to coinsider such an appointment at this time (with ongoing legal action etc).

I think Allan Bell's choice of lifestyle is the reason he won't become CM.

Personally I believe that shouldn't have anything to do with whether he is chosen. At the end of the day it should be best man or woman for the job who gets it.

?

Thanks for educating us, the breakdown is interesting.

However one way or another the original 2/3 rds figure quoted is close to the truth for total spending by the DHSS in all its guises. Its unbelievable when you think about it.

I suppose that includes the reputed £17m that went to Manx Family Services over the duration of their contract.

'Honour isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences'.

Midori Koto

I think i understand but the easy thing is just phone them to see,

I don't think I better had just now because I don't feel very well but if I remember tomorrow I will ask if they will vote for him. And all the rest if i remember.

My impression was that David Cannan and Steve Rodan were unlikely to nominate/vote for Richard Corkill. John Shimmin was hedging his position perhaps on personal grounds. But of course nominations are put to all MHK's not just the CM. If Mr Corkill is nominated and seconded they will vote. The same applies to any other name.

As I have stated before new MLC's names should be at least scrutinised by the public. A publically voted Legco will take time but certainly this lobbying by former MHK's should be more open and others should be able to do it as well without cloak and dagger stuff being the mechanism.

Archived