Who Will Be The New Chief Minister?

Albert Tatlock

Just how hard can it be? I doubt any of the public spent more than five minutes deciding who to vote for in the recent elections, meanwhile the people who ‘got in’ are already demonstrating how long they intend to take making the simplest of decisions for the next five years.

Not as if this was thrown at them ‘out of the blue’ is it?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is, yet again, totally ridiculous.

They don’t vote on one round, vote one way on the second round then all change for the third round before changing minds once more on the fourth round.

Maybe they should be made to follow the papal example and be abandoned on Conister Rock until they come to a decision.

I’d hate to see them on jury service!

We’re paying these people to make decisions for crying out loud not mess about with ‘tactics’. As for other candidates declaring, pot to that! Those who wish to run should have declared up front and the choice made from those named. That’s all we get to do after all!

If they can’t manage to elect a leader, perhaps the public should do it for them.

It really doesn’t inspire confidence, does it?

iF Mr Brown comes in to the arena, willthe others drop out?

maybe if it were, say sRodan or jShimmin against tBrown they would get more votes than they did today or would they just say that it after today? Even dCanna against current speaker might show a difference in allegiances.

When you consider that today the highest in the first balot only got 9 (Rodan). How is he going to find ministers enough to back him if there are only 9 in the whole Tynwald (MLCs included) who give him their support.

And if Mr Brown steps in, then why didn't he do it first off?? Not enough people to support him I would have thought, but5 no different than the rest anyway.

There's an awful lot to come out about this Island in the next few years if Mr Bell's hard hitting seconder speach is nything to go by today It don't look good.

I see "John Shimmin" has been online having a skeat at what we've been saying!

I still wish him luck!

Its interesting how the votes changed ... is it tactics, or just people changing their minds!

Shimmin 8 10 11 12

Rodan 9 9 9 8

Cannan 8 7

Spoilt 6 5 11 11

I bet John was bricking it after the first round.

Second round Cannan loses the support of one voter who seems to have defected to Shimmin, and an undecided also looks likely to have joined the Shimmin camp.

This means Cannan is disqualified.

Third round Shimmin again picks up a vote, Rodan looses one. But the "I can't make up my mind, I hate them both" group increases. It looks like only one of the voters who'd supported Cannon switched to Shimmin, the rest spoil their papers.

The spoils then seem to stay constant, with another defection to Shimmin from Rodan.

Shimmin was the only candidate to pick up votes consistently through the process, plus he had a majority by the end.

Any new candidate would have to hope to pick up nearly all the undecided and poach from the current people to have a chance.

Is that likely?

On the other names touted:

If Brown tries it and is elected I seriously think I'll leave the Island - IMHO the man would be a disaster for the Island. I'd assumed he'd done the calculation: Speaker salary, plus wearing a wig, plus little hassle, out weighs the CM salary, plus having all the hassle of holding a government together. Tony ... look at the maths ... the wig is worth it - Please don't stand.

Bell - I just have a huge question mark over him due to Mount Murray and the MEA. With the MEA if Treasury didn't know what was going on, well they should be shot; if they did, well he can't control his department. I think enough has been said about Mount Murray. If it wasn't for these things I think he'd be a good candidate!!!!!!!!! :blink:

If Brown tries it and is elected I seriously think I'll leave the Island - IMHO the man would be a disaster for the Island. I'd assumed he'd done the calculation: Speaker salary, plus wearing a wig, plus little hassle, out weighs the CM salary, plus having all the hassle of holding a government together. Tony ... look at the maths ... the wig is worth it - Please don't stand.

Bell - I just have a huge question mark over him due to Mount Murray and the MEA. With the MEA if Treasury didn't know what was going on, well they should be shot; if they did, well he can't control his department. I think enough has been said about Mount Murray. If it wasn't for these things I think he'd be a good candidate!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Agree with all you say, but what about John Shimmins brother in all this. Bell is the finance minister, and John Shimmins brother is the chief executive/ top civil servant in the treasury. Surely Mark Shimmin should have flagged all this up in the first place.

Dont like the idea of two brothers having so much power if JS does get the chief ministers job.

Dont care much for Mr Haggis or Hovis either.

Give the job to Eddie Teare.

I have much respect for Eddie Teare but he is not yet proven as a politician; he took the poison chalice of the MEA very shortly after being elected. A very good choice, and excellent use of his commercial abilities, but a proven politician yet? Not quite.

Archived