Russian Spies

Chinahand

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your comment is addressed to me then I’m not accusing you of anything. I suppose Corbyn is doing the right thing by questioning the government, and someone should, but he’s so weak on so many issues and then he argues the toss when it comes to Russia’s behaviour - at a time when the U.K. has weakened influence and relevance with its allies. 

19 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

...I suppose Corbyn is doing the right thing by questioning the government, and someone should... 

He's definitely doing the right thing, he sees a situation based only on circumstance, hearsay and the media-frenzy. He's being unusually prudent. Like Trump, Jeremy wants solid proof before laying the blame at Putin's door...

23 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

... at a time when the U.K. has weakened influence and relevance with its allies. 

We're still part of the EU, Brexit hasn't happened. The bloc, and others are expressing their support.

Not a shred of evidence at all that Russia was behind any of this. But oh well, let's just accuse them anyway as there's no way any other country might try and make it look like another country did something. Couldn't possibly happen. We all know that when Russia does things, they always deliberately leave loads of evidence just so everybody knows they did it and then deny doing it all for a laugh.

17 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Oh. Hang on... she's going to expel 23 diplomats, who are in reality spies for the evil regime. This will seriously degrade russias ability to do harm to us, says the scarecrow. Have they only just discovered that these diplomats are in fact evil spies for the evil regime? If not it begs the question why are we only just getting rid of them now?why was it fine to have secret spies posing as diplomats for an evil regime gangster state 2 weeks ago?

Because a certain amount of espionage is acceptable.

Secondly, because they are there they become identified and likewise their activities lead our spooks on to getting some idea of who is being naughty in our country as well as opening the way for out spooks to make use of the contacts exposed.

Historically this has meant our upper class homosexual Oxbridge public school twits working for the USSR and feeding them high level intelligence. Spooks need spooks to feed them.

Spies and spooks serve to keep the mutually beneficial channels open. Just another version of a single market in a way. Some of the expelled might be working for us anyway so sending them home could make them useful if they have been "flipped" and is good cover for them leaving London in a hurry.

What was that saying? "Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em. Little fleas have smaller fleas and so on ad finitum".

1 hour ago, woke said:

Not a shred of evidence at all that Russia was behind any of this. But oh well, let's just accuse them anyway as there's no way any other country might try and make it look like another country did something. Couldn't possibly happen. We all know that when Russia does things, they always deliberately leave loads of evidence just so everybody knows they did it and then deny doing it all for a laugh.

There may not be any evidence but such activities are not evidenced based. They are intelligence based.

The double agent attacked by the nerve gas had been a double agent who was playing both sides against the middle and had been "flipped" and then effectively exchanged and paroled. There are others.

Are we going to openly say that, "We have several of their spooks working for us and we know"..

The agent attacked with nerve gas worked for us not for principles but for money it is said. He is not the only one and some of our own spies are probably double agents as well.

On 13/03/2018 at 8:13 PM, woolley said:

I mistrust all of the fuckers on all sides. I don't swallow any of the crap that is doing the rounds. There are so many possible agendas to account for this, but one of the thinnest of all seems to be the Russian one. I don't see what they can gain by it right now. Could be anyone. They are all capable of it and nobody is beyond reproach.

I agree, Woolley.  The evidence against Russia is circumstantial and based on a Soviet era nerve agent.  Russia was not the only inheritor of Soviet military materiel. 

But, listening to the Today programme and the growing internal disarray and faint support from the UK's allies, I do wonder whether Putin is thinking several moves ahead and has calculated that he can extend the hand of retribution against an enemy, but more importantly, sow further discord in Britain, exploiting leaders who he sees as intellectually feeble. 

I certainly don't discount Russia as the actor in this, and there are other equally likely candidates with plausible motives, such as Ukraine. 

8 hours ago, quilp said:

He's definitely doing the right thing, he sees a situation based only on circumstance, hearsay and the media-frenzy. He's being unusually prudent. Like Trump, Jeremy wants solid proof before laying the blame at Putin's door...

The trouble is Russia is Corbyn's achilles heal. 

35 minutes ago, Declan said:

The trouble is Russia is Corbyn's achilles heal. 

He should be renamed Achilles he has so many of them. Not really befitting of a future Prime Minister and the establishment know that only too well.

46 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Phew!!. They drew those plans and priced that job up pretty quick. Should have got these boys to do the prom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43405686

The US use the facilities too. What a nice way to push through the enhancement of US chemical /biological weapons research in the name of a special relationship.

My thoughts about the US/UK using this as a smoke screen for US advances stand firm.

May is dangerous, Trump is dangerous, wait for North Korea to cancel any talks with Trump and up the aggression anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

The US use the facilities too. What a nice way to push through the enhancement of US chemical /biological weapons research in the name of a special relationship.

My thoughts about the US/UK using this as a smoke screen for US advances stand firm.

May is dangerous, Trump is dangerous, wait for North Korea to cancel any talks with Trump and up the aggression anytime soon.

It's a fair assumption to come to, it's not like the US/UK don't have form in creating/manipulating situations to advance agendas.

It's all predominantly theatre though in my opinion. In an increasingly interconnected world it's folly to even attempt to pursue anything like the old cold war rhetoric, the world is a far more complicated place than it was 40 years ago when there were only really two players in the game. Periodic conflict of some description is necessary, it's human nature and keeps the wheels of industry turning.

20 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Oh. Hang on... she's going to expel 23 diplomats, who are in reality spies for the evil regime. This will seriously degrade russias ability to do harm to us, says the scarecrow. Have they only just discovered that these diplomats are in fact evil spies for the evil regime? If not it begs the question why are we only just getting rid of them now?why was it fine to have secret spies posing as diplomats for an evil regime gangster state 2 weeks ago?

Better the devil you know old chap.

Simples.

Archived