Russian Spies

Chinahand

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, woody2 said:

no i am not " the uk buys zero gas from russia" your link doesn't change that, some of it may be russian gas, but the uk buys zero gas from russia.....

its been repeatability said on the bbc this week......

try learning to read......

That's a preposterous argument. I've got a bottle of French wine, but I didn't buy it from France, I bought it from the coop, therefore I don't buy French wine. 

The UK doesn’t buy gas from anyone, so woody2 factoid has a slim, hanging by a thread basic truth. However UK Gas suppliers do buy Russian gas and supply it through the mains, mixed with Norwegian, British, and LNG.

In fact the pipeline runs direct, from near St Petersburg, under the Baltic, to Lubeck, then across to Hamburg and into North Holland where it crosses the North Sea to Braxton in Norfolk.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The UK doesn’t buy gas from anyone, so woody2 factoid has a slim, hanging by a thread basic truth. However UK Gas suppliers do buy Russian gas and supply it through the mains, mixed with Norwegian, British, and LNG.

they don't buy direct from russia, even maggie may says so......

4 hours ago, woody2 said:

"the uk buys zero gas from russia"

If the gas originates in Russia then the UK is buying gas from Russia. The gas comes from Russia.

I realise that English is not your first language and that facts are something you don't do.

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

how about french wine made with spanish grapes......

Or, indeed, British wine (sold as British wine) which is actually made from imported blended grape juice. Product of anywhere. Product of nowhere.

And let's not talk about beer.

I don't think much has changed in the world of spies for centuries - this is Charles Nichol discussing Christopher Marlowe's intelligencing 400 years ago!

One can have a sneaking admiration for the shear skill involved.  [Spies] operate and survive in a political no-mans land.  [They] are hired by all and belong to none.  But there is also a draining sense of the meaningless of it all.  This is the reduction ad absurdum of the intelligence world, self perpetuating, self referring.  They live in and by the confusion they create.  That is really their only allegiance.

It becomes the looking glass world where bluff, double bluff, agent and double agent play and distort truth until it is almost impossible to know up from down.

We don't know what hum-int and sig-int the spooks have picked up.  The UK cabinet isn't relying just on the BBC and Russia today to understand this issue.

I find the idea this is an MI6/CIA plot frankly ridiculous, there is a small chance it is the Ukrainians, but this fits with the way a number of Putin's enemies have very publicly been kill pour encourager les autres.

So far the response has been proportionate.  I hope the police investigation continues, but who ever did it was well prepared, and likely gone.

Archived