Russian Spies

Chinahand

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, pongo said:

No.

In exactly the same way as the Soviet era Radio Moscow and the BBC were not equivalent but opposite. Or Lord Haw Haw, for that matter.

You are right in the sense that they are not equivalent. RT carries much Russian government propaganda despite what Salmond may think, or may say he thinks. As ever, Salmond is only interested in Salmond. The BBC has its own thoroughly warped agenda which does not necessarily coincide with that of the British government or the interests of the country. It is not objective by any stretch of the imagination.

I have been monitoring news outlets across the globe for many decades and I can tell you that listening to the BBC news now reminds me very much of listening to the world news from Radio Moscow in the 1970s in that you can pick out the items that are planted to make the unwary or unsophisticated think in a certain way. I never thought I would say that but it is a fact.

11 hours ago, pongo said:

But more than that - apply your own critical judgement. Ask yourself why there is almost no coverage which is critical of Russian domestic or foreign policy - or questions the quality of life in Russia. Or the state of the economy. Or how wealthy Putin and his friends are.

We do apply our own critical judgement but you don't like our conclusions. I reckon we are capable of seeing RT for what it is. We are not stupid. That doesn't mean that there is never useful information there that is totally ignored by western outlets. There undoubtedly is. Frequently.

7 hours ago, woolley said:

listening to the BBC news now reminds me very much of listening to the world news from Radio Moscow in the 1970s in that you can pick out the items that are planted to make the unwary or unsophisticated think in a certain way. I never thought I would say that but it is a fact.

No. It's a subjective opinion.  At best.

7 hours ago, woolley said:

I reckon we are capable of seeing RT for what it is. We are not stupid. That doesn't mean that there is never useful information there that is totally ignored by western outlets. There undoubtedly is. Frequently.

If you are capable of seeing RT for what it is then you will understand that the BBC and Russia Today are not opposite equals. Which was the flat-earth suggestion I was responding to. You might not always like the BBC but it clearly isn't a government propaganda station.

The predictable criticisms you level against the BBC have existed since the 1930s - instigated by wealthy press barons including Nazi sympathisers who objected to losing their monopoly on news reporting.

12 hours ago, pongo said:

If the gas originates in Russia then the UK is buying gas from Russia. The gas comes from Russia.

I realise that English is not your first language and that facts are something you don't do.

ze pongo, the man that wrongly said the uk didn't have the manpower to negotiate trade deals for months, then did a flounce the same day it was announced the uk was working on 21 deals....

:whistling:

both andrew neil and johns mate o have repeatedly said the uk buys no gas off russia, no one has challenged them because its a fact.......

David LammyVerified account @DavidLammy

David Lammy

The truth about the Russians is that expelling ‘diplomats’ won’t hit them where it hurts. We need to get tough on the oligarchs stashing their dirty money in London properties with the help of offshore tax havens and London-based accountants, lawyers and financial advisers

could this involve the iom.......

interesting labour are going after the oligarchs, but only the oligarchs that have given to the tories, the same oligarchs that happen to be jewish........

48 minutes ago, woody2 said:

ze pongo, the man that wrongly said the uk didn't have the manpower to negotiate trade deals for months, then did a flounce the same day it was announced the uk was working on 21 deals....

I have never done a flounce. Not ever.

It was Liam Fox who said that the UK does not have the capacity to negotiate trade deals.

Liam Fox admits UK doesn't have the 'capacity' to strike international trade deals

9 hours ago, woolley said:

You are right in the sense that they are not equivalent. RT carries much Russian government propaganda despite what Salmond may think, or may say he thinks. As ever, Salmond is only interested in Salmond. The BBC has its own thoroughly warped agenda which does not necessarily coincide with that of the British government or the interests of the country. It is not objective by any stretch of the imagination.

I have been monitoring news outlets across the globe for many decades and I can tell you that listening to the BBC news now reminds me very much of listening to the world news from Radio Moscow in the 1970s in that you can pick out the items that are planted to make the unwary or unsophisticated think in a certain way. I never thought I would say that but it is a fact.

Bleat all you like but Aunty Beeb remains the most trusted media outlet on the planet.

There must be a reason for that.

I wonder what it could be...?

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

The beeb regularly run stories on syria where their only source is the one man uk bedsit based syrian observatory for human rights. Every syria story comes through there. Is that fair and impartial reporting?

This all harks back to our dreadful right-wing newspapers. Corbyn points out that there is no legitimacy in law for any action against Russia and the next morning the whole, vile bandwagon is spewing it's particularly vicious bile in his direction.

His crime?

Telling it like it is.

Do you get balanced reporting from the Assad regime?

I would expect The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights to report if Assad uses chemical weapons. I would expect them to report casualty figures amongst the population. I would also expect all of it to be guesswork due to the chaos known as the fog of war.

It is what it is....

Archived