Russian Spies

Chinahand

albert is correct re. the weapon used in the killing has a lot to do with goverment /public out cry. so who would be wanting to drive a wedge between both goverments just when they were about to sign a mutual extradition agreement.if you read all the media one name keeps popping up

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose what we are missing is the information on the situation prior to, and through, Glasnost and Perestroika. The KGB were the undoubted wielders of influence in Russia (which remember was the USSR and a conglomerate of some willing, but also very many unwilling states). Post Glasnost, it was a free-for-all with those connected to the KGB getting the best spoils; fixed auctions of unimaginable resources and almost a shutting down of all order as the Soviet government just did not know how to, or could not, rein back control. It was, probably correctly, described as the wild west, with goldrush running through the higher echelons of the previous Soviet bureaucracy.

Now what is left is a country with probably the largest mineral wealth in the world with that wealth captured within a very small section. That wealth was released without any forethought, almost in a panic. Now the country must pay for its infrastructure and state welfare from taxes rather than its own resources and has found most of the resources, whilst in Russia, are owned elsewhere.

In keeping with Russian distrust, where negotiation has failed, exemplar assassinations will continue until the real control of Russia's assets vests in the Kremlin.

Sad really, because if the regime at the time of liberalisation was stronger and would accept advice from the outside, the country may now be just as wealthy, but more equitably so.

I was rather disturbed to hear that a friend's mother, who has 'thyroid problems' was advised to reduce their medication by half for a visit here because of the background radiation.

According to this we're exposed to a fair bit more radon than the UK average, although this isn't too surprising: Ireland and Scotland all have higher levels of naturally ocurring Radon thanks to simple geology, which is then trapped in homes.

• 11 years later...

There's a more than an even chance his espionage history has nowt to do with this. Rather he's a Russian bloke, who happens to have been involved in a 'spy-swap', who'd just lost his wife and decided to self-medicate or maybe involved in a drugs-ring. The article stated the chemical agent was thought to be Fentanyl. Dangerous stuff. If it was in quantity, the CB suits, hosing down and evacuation was probably necessary.

So just as likely not a John le Carre intrigue...

Um, I didn't read any of them. The headlines were enough to glean what they were about. I was just wondering if everyone else is as dis-interested in the subject of some ex-spy as I am and if so, why are there so many stories about it? there are a million things happening every minute over the world, but the whole of the news is taken over by what has happened to some idiot who chose his own path in life. Hardly a surprise is it? An ex spy gets attacked?

Archived