Russian Spies

Chinahand

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, woody2 said:

still no proof of the uk buying gas from russia.......

Nonsense. The LNG issue is already settled. You were clearly shown to be wrong in the article Chinahand linked to. It's weird that you continue to dig in.

Additionally:

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/UK-Looks-To-Ditch-Russian-Gas-After-Spy-Scandal.html

The UK has gas supply contracts with Russia’s gas giant Gazprom, and although the British dependence on Russian gas supply is not as high as that of other European countries, the UK still relies on some Russian gas for its energy needs. The UK has also imported a liquefied natural gas (LNG) cargo from Russia’s newly started Yamal project, and re-exported another LNG cargo originating from Yamal.

For now, UK gas traders remain unconcerned that the UK could run short of nat gas supplies, even shrugging off Prime Minister May’s comments that the UK would be looking for other gas suppliers. 

During question time in Parliament on Wednesday, May said that “I can reassure … that in looking at our gas supplies we are indeed looking to other countries.”

May was replying to a question by Conservative lawmaker Stephen Crabb who said that “One way Russia seeks to extend its influence in Europe is by building relationships of energy dependence. Is she [Mrs May] aware that Britain has recently started to receive shipments of liquefied natural gas, and does she agree that Britain should not provide a market for Russian gas? If we need to bring in extra LNG imports, we have allies such as Qatar, Malaysia and Australia who are more than willing to sell it to us.”

Related: Oil Profits Are Fueling South Sudan’s Civil War

Yet, the UK may find it difficult to cut off entirely gas supplies from Russia. Energy provider Centrica has a long-term supply agreement with Gazprom Marketing & Trading Limited, a UK-registered subsidiary of Gazprom. In LNG, cargoes that are uncommitted to a destination tend to go where prices and demand are highest, and the UK imported this winter’s cargoes from companies that had initially bought the LNG from Russia’s Yamal.

“Until we see gas switched off, I think nothing much is going to happen,” one UK trader told Platts on Wednesday, while another said that the prime minister’s comments were “very vague” and there was “nothing she could do in reality.”

https://www.platts.com/latest-news/natural-gas/london/uk-looking-to-other-countries-for-natural-gas-26908892

For instance, UK utility Centrica has a long-term contract with GMT for the supply of an average of 4.2 Bcm a year of gas.

It's a pity that you keep on trolling this Woody. The sensible position, the actual truth, is that the UK is not especially reliant on Russian gas. That it does not buy much.

However it is very reliant on the price, in general. And that's a more complicated issue. 

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Nonsense. The LNG issue is already settled. You were clearly shown to be wrong in the article Chinahand linked to. It's weird that you continue to dig in.

Additionally:

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/UK-Looks-To-Ditch-Russian-Gas-After-Spy-Scandal.html

1 hour ago, pongo said:

https://www.platts.com/latest-news/natural-gas/london/uk-looking-to-other-countries-for-natural-gas-26908892

It's a pity that you keep on trolling this Woody. The sensible position, the actual truth, is that the UK is not especially reliant on Russian gas. That it does not buy much.

However it is very reliant on the price, in general. And that's a more complicated issue. 

still no evidence the uk is buying from russia....

i never raised the lng, so it has nothing to do with what i have said.....

Ffs, Back on topic...

There are some questionable anomalies to this incident. From BBC news 8th March...

"...meanwhile, a doctor who was first on the scene has described how she found Ms Skripal slumped unconscious on a bench, vomiting and fitting. She had lost control of her bodily functions.

The doctor, who asked not to be named, told the BBC she moved Ms. Skripal into the recovery position and opened her airways as others tended her father.

She said she treated her for almost 30 minutes, saying there was no sign of any chemical agent on Ms. Skripal's face or body.

The doctor said she had been worried she would be affected by the nerve-agent but added that she "feels fine"... "

So here we have a medical professional, first on the scene and applying emergency procedures to her patient, without the hazmat suit and breathing apparatus, in full physical contact with the victim for nearly half an hour with the possibility of being exposed to bodily fluids and exhalations from the patient. Given the precautionary measures taken by forensics and security personnel, it does pose the question of why this doctor wasn't struck down by this highly dangerous 'nerve-agent.' Was it just luck? Considering the plight of the police officer, who had much less physical contact, if any at all, who subsequently it is said, ended up in intensive care and seriously ill. This doctor's experience does seem anomalous compared to the cop. As pongo and others rightly pointed out, conspiracy-theorists would have a field day around this, but is there any wonder given inconsistencies in reporting and delivery of the circumstances surrounding the incident?

The BBC's erstwhile security correspondent, Gordon Corera, in his report, never mentions this first-on-the-scene doctor and scanning through the subsequent reportage I can find no further mention of her story nor how, after a fortnight, how she has faired since.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43326734

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2158765/Poison-tip-umbrella-assassination-of-Georgi-Markov-reinvestigated.html

Oh how I long for the good old days when they killed you with poisoned Bulgarian umbrellas!

What was James Bond licensed to use? Walther PPK and at times a Beretta? Messy! Very! 

On the BBC Radio 4 "Today" programme the other day they interviewed someone who knew about gas. The UK buys it ie traders in the City punt it about and it is then often multiple bought and sold and never gets to the UK. A tiny bit has been imported from Russia. The main point they said was that large swathes of the EU take a lot of Russian gas and the UK imports some of this from Europe.

Additionally, I was surprised to see that Russia has gone back to the pre-Tsar days and become a massive grain exporter. In my days as shipbroker they were tied to the USA for grain or else they would have starved. We had lots of blank charter party forms rotting away from the days when Russia was a bread basket and we imported from them.

Indeed, the Baltic Exchange largely grew up on grain from Russia and Poland and Roumania. It was a mainstay of the Exchange and the ships carrying it.

The USA has used grain as a political weapon for many years. 

The Baltic Exchange in my day had representatives of most of the USSR countries. They had their "spies" or political agents all of them. I recall Messrs Zvonkin and Shutov who gathered in as much information on shipping and trade as possible on the Exchange. Then there was Zakie Kadyrov from Uzbkistan who was another active broker. When challenged about Communism and his new Mercedes he would say "We have to keep up with the Joneses"

The UK had its agents on the Exchange too. They knew who was breaking UN sanctions against Rhodesia. (I had the job of courier taking the papers to Geneva where I was met by a man who took the envelopes and I then turned round and flew back to London)

Our Spooks too were about the City. One would get visits from two smart gentlemen in the most expensive suits...Now that is one bit about James Bond that is true as they need to have an impressive bearing when visiting businesses. Not shabby like CID!

Well we had done bizzo with the Ruskies and the Boss took two or three of them to his Surrey home for dinner. It was outside of their permitted area as diplomats.

Next day two smart gents came in and I swear they did actually say "We work for the Government. You don't know us but we know a lot about you"

They wanted to know why the Ruskies were taken on a trip into deepest Surrey outside of the diplomatic zone.

All this spy stuff is really quite normal and has always been so..A lot of it is commercial anyway and about trade and business.

Wonder how we bumped off people in the old USSR...? We certainly bumped off a few in Ireland..

Archived