[BBC News]Truants reported by text message

Newsbot

A school on the Isle of Man is sending a text message to parents whose children are suspected of playing truant.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6196370.stm

The system is run by a UK firm, with all the students' names held on a database there. I'm uneasy about that.

Also it's led to the address on students' ID printouts being 'Isle of Man, UK' - I definitely don't like that (except to get cheaper postage on ebay!).

surely the parents must have had to sign a disclosure consent agreeing to the infomation being held on a UK data -base??

Surely under the DPA the location of the data in the UK is irrelevant anyway? I wasn't aware of anything in the IOM DPA that prohibits this.

If anyone wants to put my child's name on a 'Ukay' database I expect to be asked for permission.

I don’t think you get a choice.

The Department of Education are allowed to use “personal” data in any way that they see fit – providing it is done in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2002.

One of obligations of the DPA is to only pass personal information to organisations that will also handle to the data in accordance with the DPA.

According the Department of Education the company providing this service is called Truancy Call Ltd. If it is this company then they (Truancy Call) need to change their entry with the Information Commissioner to show that they now deal with a company outside of the EEA. See attached.

I work for a company in the UK and we transfer data to a number of Isle of Man entities. The advice we were given by the Information Commissioner and our lawyers was to specifically name the Isle of Man as a country that we transferred data to/from as it was not part of the EEA.

As a parent I do not care where the company is that provides this service so long is it is acting lawfully and professionally. I would expect such a company to be professional enough to comply fully the requirements of the Data Protection Act.

I would also expect the Department of Education to make sure that they are dealing with a company that complies fully with DPA requirements.

truancycall.pdf

Archived