[BBC News]Electoral regions under spotlight

Newsbot

I'm rather surprised that there hasn't been a response to this item - especially after all the comments during the election about some people having 3 votes, others having 2 and many having just one.

Perhaps too lazy to click on the link? Allow me to assist:

The Boundary Review Committee is asking island residents to have their say on the size and number of voters in each electoral area.

Tynwald has previously rejected an interim report from the committee, recommending the numbers in each constituency are made equal.

Members of the public are invited to send their thoughts to the Chief Secretary's office.

The Boundary Review Committee wants to know whether people think existing boundaries represent community or geographical divisions.

It also asks residents to consider possible boundary changes.

The commission wants to know what residents think are the optimum size of constituencies, whether voter numbers should be the sole guide and whether single or multi-member constituencies are preferable.

Comments should be made in writing by 31 December.

The BBC from whom this release is taken is wrong about what the interim report reccomended. It was minor tinkering to make constituencies have the same number of voters per MHK as a temporay measure until a full review. It was not equal size /number MHK's. This is the full review and your chance.

I sit on the Boundary Committee and you can PM me instead if you wish

Met a drunken chap in a pub a while ago who claimed he was on the Boundary Commission. It didnt seem likely as he had only been here about six years and had no idea where Patrick or German were. I dolnt think the Government would trust changing historical boundaries and the election system by using such people. He wasnt you was he Thiewin?

Archived