Anyone Fancy Running The Taxi Trade...

Lonan3

Spotted in the Isle of Man Examiner this week - an advert asking for people to sit on the Road Transport Licensing Committee.

This is the Committee that licenses taxis, buses, coaches and goods vehicles, and tries to keep everything in order.

Over the past five years, it has come in for considerable criticism, not only from taxi operators, but also from members of Tynwald, and others, for the way it has carried out it's duties.

IMO, this is at least partly because its current membership has little or no experience of the industries that it regulates.

In part, this is because the only stated qualification is that people elected shall not be a member of the Legco or the Keys, and must have no 'financial interest in any trade or business involving the carriage of passengers or goods.'

The Committee is responsible only to the Council of Ministers.

Applications have to be in before 15th December - details available from their office in Prospect House (the old passport office)

If you are someone - or know of someone - who has the right kind of experience of these industries, is no longer involved in them, and wants to perform a public service, please let them know!

I used to work on the buses, I drive a lorry and am a qualified transport manager, also I used to see disciplinaries for taxi's at my last council. I have chaired major committes and acted as a licensing chairman.

should I apply even though I am not Manx?

I used to work on the buses, I drive a lorry and am a qualified transport manager, also I used to see disciplinaries for taxi's at my last council. I have chaired major committes and acted as a licensing chairman.

Go for it!

I don't see why not.

I suspect it is difficult for them to find someone with appropriate experience who is not currently employed by/financially involved with a local business. I guess thats why they offer around £6k a year for a day or so meetings per month.

Over the past five years, it has come in for considerable criticism, not only from taxi operators....

IMO, this is at least partly because its current membership has little or no experience of the industries that it regulates.

It seems that the taxi industry has come in for a fair bit of criticism over the past few years too. Is this because partly because the taxi drivers today have little or no experience of the industry?

Archived