A "high Street Name" Quits Starnd Street - Thompson Travel

manxchatterbox

called in today and was told I coul dhave the office copy of a brochure as they are closing next week..they said the decision had been made because of a fall off in business during the construction work of the new Next store and even though that was now open and business had picked up again the store was still closing....two really helpful girls there losing their jobs..hope someone can find something for them so that they are still working for Christmas..

You can hardly blame the inconvenience of the development of a new Next on the same road for the failure of a travel agent.

High street agencies are closing because more of us booking our travel online. With the big chains such as Lunn Polly, if a decision is made to close say 20 stores they close the 20 worst performing stores. They would not look at the last few months performance they would look back at least 12 or 18 months.

I would book with an independent over a high street chain any day, they do tend to offer independent advice and not just their own branded packages.

If those girls are good I am sure they will find the local independants willing to take them on as they are always advertising for staff.

....two really helpful girls there losing their jobs..hope someone can find something for them..

give me their age, number and description.. sure I can find something!! :rolleyes:

Not a very Christian attitude dude. :o

Dude! I was thinking along the lines of 'potential nuns' :P

Relax! B)

So a local company, with two branches, one in Douglas, one in Port Erin, is closing its Douglas branch.

Hardly a "High Street" name.

Sad for the staff and owners, but realistic, and hardly shocking news

No!!

Thompson Travel is the locally owned travel agency with one branch in Port Erin.

MCB is referring to the travel agency in Strand Street which is part of the massive Thomson Travel Group, which owns hundreds of travel agency locations, and the former Britannia Airlines, now called Thomsonfly. I thought the agency chain was still branded Lunn Poly, but this may be just a case of MCB taking the p out of a local business!

Thomson in the street used to be lunn poly. IT is closing on the 8th, and all holidays booked with them will be transferred to the UK. The staff were given the opportunity to be transferred to the UK or take redundancy. However, I do know that at least one of them has some casual shop work over christmas.

its such a horrible thing to be made redundant 2 weeks before xmas

Archived