Is This A First

Theskeat

RBS

Occasionally the Royal Bank issues commemorative banknotes... the £5 note honouring veteran golfer Jack Nicklaus in his last competitive Open competition at St Andrews in 2005 (an issue of two million notes).

The clever answer is that neither Best or Nicklaus feature on a British note. Ther is no such thing.

Best features on a Northern Ireland note valid only in Northern Ireland.

Nicklaus on a Scots note valid only in Scotland.

I know we in IOM acceopt notes from anywhere along with our own but it is worth remembering that English notes are not legal tender outside England and Wales, ie they are not legal in Scotland or Northern Ireland

COINS:

Circulating Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

The coin limits are the same here.

I know we in IOM acceopt notes from anywhere along with our own but it is worth remembering that English notes are not legal tender outside England and Wales, ie they are not legal in Scotland or Northern Ireland

So... English notes are not legal in the Isle of Man? :huh:

Norther Ireland is in Ireland so its Irish

It is also for the time being part of the United Kingdom but not of Great Britain, so its not British

Thye notes are specifically Northern Irish and Scots, not British, There are no British notes.

AS for the question of legality of English Notes in IOM (and the same applies to Scots and Northern Irish, but not Channel island or Gibraltaer notes or coins, as a concession they are recognised as legal tender here by s2(3) Currency Act 1992

Having tried in the past to purchase goods in W.H.Smith's Liverpool using a mixture of Manx and English notes, and the fact that I was refused on the grounds that they are not legal tender (quite rudely I may add).

Perhaps if I now refuse UK notes in W.H.Smiths Douglas in a similar rude manner I would be within my rights?

Having tried in the past to purchase goods in W.H.Smith's Liverpool using a mixture of Manx and English notes, and the fact that I was refused on the grounds that they are not legal tender (quite rudely I may add).

Perhaps if I now refuse UK notes in W.H.Smiths Douglas in a similar rude manner I would be within my rights?

No, see above, they are recognised, along with Scots and Northern Irish notes, as legal tender here

Please lets join the Euro and stop all this!

They are notes issued in the British Isles therefore British notes.

More and more often referred to as the 'Atlantic Isles.'

Atlantic Isles sounds like we are part of America. I prefer the Western European Archipelago.

It is also for the time being part of the United Kingdom but not of Great Britain, so its not British

Thye notes are specifically Northern Irish and Scots, not British, There are no British notes.

AS for the question of legality of English Notes in IOM (and the same applies to Scots and Northern Irish, but not Channel island or Gibraltaer notes or coins, as a concession they are recognised as legal tender here by s2(3) Currency Act 1992

I was under the distinct impression that the term "The British Isles" was a geographical one rather than a political one. Northern Ireland may be part of Ireland geographically, but in the same respect it is also part of the British Isles (As is Ireland), though part of the UK from a political perspective (Distasteful as some people as some people may find it).

Either way, a thorny issue which not even the venerable Wikipedia is willing to give a conclusive answer on.

My experience of attempting to use manx notes in England usually ends up with me being told that the notes are not legal tender in England as they do not have the word "Sterling" printed on them. I also remember reading somewhere that the Manx Pound is not actually Sterling but is pegged to Sterling by an agreement with the UK treasury.

Edited to add Wikipedia link.

I was under the distinct impression that the term "The British Isles" was a geographical one rather than a political one. Northern Ireland may be part of Ireland geographically, but in the same respect it is also part of the British Isles (As is Ireland), though part of the UK from a political perspective (Distasteful as some people as some people may find it).

Either way, a thorny issue which not even the venerable Wikipedia is willing to give a conclusive answer on.

My experience of attempting to use manx notes in England usually ends up with me being told that the notes are not legal tender in England as they do not have the word "Sterling" printed on them. I also remember reading somewhere that the Manx Pound is not actually Sterling but is pegged to Sterling by an agreement with the UK treasury.

Edited to add Wikipedia link.

Manx notes are not legal tender in England, or Scotland or N Ireland it has nothing to do with whether Sterling is printed on them.

All Scots and Northern Irish, but not Manx notes, in circulation have to be backed by BoE notes held by the issuing bank. BoE does issue £1,000,000 notes for that purpose. IOM has a notes in issue fund in a bank account which is in Sterling.

On the one occasion I was caught in England with a load of Manx notes, I went into a bank and swapped them for UK notage no problems.

I suppose that technically, pound coins and the like are also not valid across, but 1) who in a shop actually looks at the pattern on a coin 2) they work in machines.

On the one occasion I was caught in England with a load of Manx notes, I went into a bank and swapped them for UK notage no problems.

I suppose that technically, pound coins and the like are also not valid across, but 1) who in a shop actually looks at the pattern on a coin 2) they work in machines.

When I worked as a bus conductor,many moons ago, I could and would spot a 'foreign' coin instantly, even if it was in a handful of change. If you handle a lot of cash your senses seem to become very sharp to 'oddities'. So it is likely a shop worker would spot it, however, whether they do anything about it is another thread.

Archived