I Need A Wii!

Bauer21

when we bought a ds lite in game earlier this yer the guy who served me said that i'd be better getting a black one because for some reason they have had loads of whit ones returned with faults.

He told me black ones are more reliable, not sure how true this is.

I heard about that when they were first released, it was supposed to be that the dpad wasn't very responsive or something like that. I think it was just that more white ones were returned with the issue, due to more people buying white ones.

Both were and are exactly the same I think that some early models just had a few teething problems, I chose white because black shows up finger prints really badly, plus I prefer them white.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments about the component cables Slim/Rich. I've just ordered three sets of components for the telly/DVD/streamer and another optical cable so I might get one of these, specially if it makes a big difference to the browser usability.

I've actually never used a component cable instead of a composite one before as I'm cynical about how much difference they can make but lots of people say the difference is very obvious so I thought it's about time I got some.

My brother has got a wii as well now so he's coming round for some 2 player arm punishing.

Haven't got my code to hand yet Rich as the Mrs is watching some really crap film at the moment. :rolleyes:

I've actually never used a component cable instead of a composite one before as I'm cynical about how much difference they can make but lots of people say the difference is very obvious so I thought it's about time I got some.

I can understand but without one you can't achieve 480P (which is the best resolution you'll get out of the Wii), after hooking up the new cable you'll need to change your screen setting to 480P on the Wii options menu.

You may also want to check what resolution it's currently running at, I think it defaults to 576i which is probably the best setup for composite.

Haven't got my code to hand yet Rich as the Mrs is watching some really crap film at the moment. :rolleyes:

No probs you know what these women are like, I'll send you mine later as I've got some mates just turned up.

Thanks for the comments about the component cables Slim/Rich. I've just ordered three sets of components for the telly/DVD/streamer and another optical cable so I might get one of these, specially if it makes a big difference to the browser usability.

My brother has got a wii as well now so he's coming round for some 2 player arm punishing.

Component is way better than composite, you'll be amazed at the difference!

Surprised the Wii will only do 480p though - that's a pretty low resolution, basically the same as VGA (640x480), probably 852x480 on a 16:9 screen - still a low resolution for a modern console.

Surprised the Wii will only do 480p though - that's a pretty low resolution, basically the same as VGA (640x480), probably 852x480 on a 16:9 screen - still a low resolution for a modern console.

It's surprisingly good actually and 480p is the same as you get on a US DVD. I use mine on an 8ft wide screen and my projector deinterlaces, line quadruples, blah, blah, 576i without any nasty artifacts and, given the games available, the graphics are not an issue at all (photorealism is overrated when we're only playing with toys after all!). Wii Sports is a bit of a masterpiece really (though not all sports are equal).

You think? I recon wii sports is utterly shite to be honest, very very shallow, you've very little control over what happens at all.

My thoughts exactly:

i'm pretty dissapointed with it to be honest.

the graphics on wii sports are really poor, and with the likes of the tennis game there is no control over it other than hitting the ball.

maybe i need to get hold of a decent game for it

great console for kids but doesn't come nearthe xbox360 imo.

You think? I recon wii sports is utterly shite to be honest, very very shallow, you've very little control over what happens at all.

My thoughts exactly:

i'm pretty dissapointed with it to be honest.

the graphics on wii sports are really poor, and with the likes of the tennis game there is no control over it other than hitting the ball.

maybe i need to get hold of a decent game for it

great console for kids but doesn't come nearthe xbox360 imo.

Each to their own, I suppose, but I think that's missing the point. Whoever thought it was a competitor? The Wii is cheaper and is proving to be (so far) a much more sociable pastime than solitary hours pretending I'm a soldier, dispatched to the furthest nerdiest corners of the house! Besides, why should I subscribe to Microsoft's continuing quest towards global domination?

BTW, in tennis, you can apply spin to the ball and simulating what you would do with a racquet you can hit the ball up or down. It's a good way to tackle the 'lard arse' blues after Christmas - pressing buttons to play isn't quite the same any more.

I'm due to be playing tenpin bowling against my grandson this afternoon (let's face it, it's the only way to do that now on the IOM!) and I know it's going to be a hoot :)

Wii Sports was originally intended to be a tech demo, and so really that is all it is.

I think it's got a lot more depth than I first expected (knowing of its history), more importantly it's just a good laugh which is all that matters at the end of the day.

I had no complaints from the family, infact it's the first many of them have gone near a computer game, which speaks volumes in my opinion.

I didn't mean it was a big landmark in gaming exactly, just that it's rather good fun.

I originally thought the same that the control is pretty shyte in some of the games but with a bit of perseverance it becomes more natural and better control is gained.

I agree it's fairly shallow but great fun all the same, and that's what I bought it for. Not sure how quickly I'll tire of it but for now, it's ace.

My thoughts exactly:

No, not your thoughts exactly. I said wii sports was a bit lightweight, doesn't mean I dont love the console, and saying its a console for kids is not what I said at all. I'm loving every second of zelda, it's a fucking wonderful game. Wii sports isn't much more than a demo, but that's fine for a free pack in.

Got a component cable from Game today, making Zelda and the Browser Channel look far better.

i was just pointing out how we both though wii sports is shite. I never meant you said anything else.

I recon wii sports is utterly shite to be honest

fair enough if you don't think it's a kids console, i do and haven't seen a game yet to change my mind.

Xbox360 pisses all over the wii (pardon the pun) in terms of games, gameplay and graphics.

It might have a fancy controller but it's going to need a lot more that that to be anywhere near as good as the 360 :)

Archived