Fabric!

K.os Theory

So here I sit in the office ( the bar not my place of work ), I've just returned from a mental weekend in London I'm not boasting ( well OK I am and I don't care ) but as with the Muse gig ( see other topic ) I thought it best to spread the word on an amazing nite out.

Fabric. What can I say about the place, if you've been before I'm 110% sure you'll agree with the comments below...

Firstly this was my first time so I approached the club with the attitude of " if they can reproduce the sound of the CD's, I'm in for a good nite ". Oh jesus christ! This place lives up to and surpasses the sound given out by the CD's by such a large amount I can't even covey it.

Let's break this down people....

1. prices of drink = not over the top, it was costing me 2 quid for a bottle of water ( which I think is a pretty reasonable price, seeing some of the prices in other clubs...discuss separately if you want to )

2. door staff = easily the friendliest most approachable door staff i've ever encountered.

3. clubbers = fook me! I've never had the chance to be surrounded by so many clued up people ( bear in mind this is a predominately break-beat club ), so refreshing to hear people talk about DJ's and producers in such an intelligent way, add to the fact that I didn't see any trouble whatsoever, no attitude, no pretention ( check spelling ), genuine people there for one reason ( to dance ).

4. price of entry = I booked online, this got me a fast track entry to the club before midnite...I queued for 15minutes and I was in.

5. music = if you're looking for the most up-front music on the planet this is the place to go, simply said it was stunning...I didn't hear a shit tune all nite, cutting edge breaks, electro and minimilisitic techo all nite

6. atmosphere = I turned up at midnite to the club, just got fast-tracked. Getting past the cloakroom, I found all of the 3 rooms rammed with people completely up for a party, everyone.

7. DJ's = Well what can I say, I was soo lucky to get a nite that pretty much sums up the current scene ( that i'm into ), every DJ was up for it, urging the crowd to get wilder and wilder, every set got better and better ( I'm never gonna forget Hybrid at 4am in fabric ).

Summary....This is with out a doubt in my mind the best club in the UK ( as long as you can appreciate break), if you get any joy or have any love for breakbeat then you have to visit this club....

Yeah I'm a little drunk, but to tell you the truth, Friday 8th December will be remembered for the rest of my life as " The Greatest Clubbing Experience Of My Life ", well untill I head over again in a couple of months...

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, I hope that this encourages people to get down to London and check this club out... Thanks for your time

edited to add :

I was told by regular fabric-goers that the sound-system is the best in London, it was loud as you like but clear as a bell

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. I've been down to Fabric a couple of times for their Fabric Live nights. Noisia & Teebee brought GBH upon my ears. Shame Fabric employ MC's for their DNB nights tho. Can't stand the whole 'dibbydibbyskibbydobbydibdib-ak47-show-us-dem-lightahs' carry on whilst I'm trying to appreciate pure neurofunk genius.

It was fookin amazing matey, evil nine played a thouroughly dirty set ( bass frequencies set to kill ), lee coombes kept it funky and minimal throughout his set, the plumps were just fantastic, meat katie played a crazy mix of techno and breaks and Hybrid just blew the roof ( even though we were underground ) completely off the place. :blink:

I'm definately off to the next Eargasm night, fancy joining me??

Oh Yesh! Im a Fabric regular and have seen some wicked sets in there - Ian Brown DJ, Grooverider and Fabio, Plump DJS, and the best that stand out for me were Goldchains Live, James Lavelle and Freq Nasty many years ago (he was my all time fave Fabric moment) he had people up on stage MCs, rappers, singers and it was just so energetic!

I love the multi sex toilets, the bouncers are friendly, the people are cool and friendly - the only thing i dont like is the que's on a Friday but im a member now so im fast tracked and you get a free CD every month all just for £7 per month its well worth it! The other thing that im not keen on is the sheer size of the place that you sometimes get disorientated and lots of people just seem to walk around all night! I love the bottom room - the sound quality is wicked!

I tell you what its the only place i have been to in London where I have gone and not drank and not taken any drugs, you just dont need to, its just brilliant without it!

Good things:-

It is always gonna be rammed – consistently every weekend for many years now

It is always going to have at least 10 djs who could fill a club on their own elsewhere in the country

The balcony in room 1 quality vantage point can happily stand here all night

Staff are generally very nice and friendly for a London club

The corridor between rooms one and two very dark and crazy as it should be

The décor definitely fits the music

@ bollocks - generally the mcs in the room 2 are not too full on at all usually rage/gq/fats/lowqui/sp etc so maybes you had just one bad night

Not so good

Too often there are too many people in smart shirts and shoes who go because they have read time out and are expecting some Leicester Square club – these are usually small in number but can be quite annoying – that’s about it

------ 

If you like Fabric you should try the end – its just like a small Fabric really but is always a really good atmosphere

I thought Fabric had banned shirt wearers - I know that you cant get in there with suit on - NO CITY BOYS an all that!

I love that about some places in london that they actively encourage people to dress down an keep it casual, whereas the minute you get out into towns its the same old "no shoes not coming in rubbish"!!!!

I have never seen any fights in Fabric ( and yes everyone is wearing trainers etc) yet I have seen plenty of fights in crappy little clubs where you are not allowed to wear trainers - what is that all about, at end of day trainers prob cost 10 times more than some shoes!!!!

Talking of London clubs, I love Plastic People in Hoxton - best sound system, very dark, intimate, wicked nights rangin from house to ragga, the bar staff are usually so drunk themselves they give you a glass of wine in a pint glass - a whole pint of it!!!

Other places, 333 in Hoxton well worth a look

Canvas Club - Kings X, grimy but really like a wharehouse - proper no messing with the drugs in there, I have been handed a card with pics of pills on it and a mobile number, needless to say everyone in there is gurn-tastic!

I went to Egg last year, didnt like it although people were raving about it - didnt like the people - mainly essex boys an just media types sitting around contemplating and beard stroking. The music also sounded really quiet in there.

Turmills is one of my faves, Im a regular and know quite a few faces in there and just have a wicked night every time! The people in there are a bit mad, lots of tourists I guess but its cool, the reason I like it is that everyone is on the same vibe and it gets really messy - you end up making friends in there and thats what i like about it. I always go in the back room downstairs as it plays sort of unknown DJs and I like that better - the other rooms get way too packed!

I'm away in London over New Year... having not been to Fabric before I fancy taking a look.

Went to Turnmills when I was over in the summer but found it all a bit too confusing, kept getting lost it was like a maze to me :)

Had a quality night in Meet, much smaller club next door to Fabric.

If you like Fabric you should try the end – its just like a small Fabric really but is always a really good atmosphere

I've been to AKA which I think is in the same building as The End? We didn't venture next door tho! I loved how AKA was inside with a big projection of waterfalls on the walls :D

Tearz get your ass over there and check it out...I think Meat Katie is playing on NYE but I don't know how available the tickets are ( book online from the fabric website for fast track entry ).

Yeah I loved the balcony in room 1, but I've got to admit the smaller room ( room3 ) has a better one, only about 3 people can fit on it!

Roll on the new year and the next Eargasm night! :lol:

I thought Fabric had banned shirt wearers - I know that you cant get in there with suit on - NO CITY BOYS an all that!

I love that about some places in london that they actively encourage people to dress down an keep it casual, whereas the minute you get out into towns its the same old "no shoes not coming in rubbish"!!!!

I have never seen any fights in Fabric ( and yes everyone is wearing trainers etc) yet I have seen plenty of fights in crappy little clubs where you are not allowed to wear trainers - what is that all about, at end of day trainers prob cost 10 times more than some shoes!!!!

Fabric may well have banned shirt wearers, unfortunately it is quite a long time since I was there last, - the city boys generally only go the once, dance like they are at an office party, leave to get the last tube home because they can't understand the concept of an all nighter and never return.

The IOM as a whole is probably more like those towns than anywhere else in the UK, as you suggest where as the bar/club owners think we are going to attract the up market clientele they are probably doing the opposite. It is a sign that the IOM is a pretty unique place. Although it attracts a lot of young people to come over / stay over to work in finance anybody who is interested in other careers - arts/humanities/culture based, or even is in search of more diverse nightlife etc usually moves to the uk - often initially as students. What we are left with is a population who, in the majority, think colours is great and who generally see going out in jeans and trainers as a bit scruffy. Not that there is anything wrong with this - the IOM is doing very well concentrating on being a finance centre but it does have a lot of knock on effects and possibly results in a less diverse population.

Canvas Club - Kings X, grimy but really like a wharehouse - proper no messing with the drugs in there, I have been handed a card with pics of pills on it and a mobile number, needless to say everyone in there is gurn-tastic!

Did you ever go when it was bagleys? if not, you should have seen it before it got rennovated and became Canvas, it pretty much was a warehouse. I think it used to be some sort of textiles factory and it still had all the machinery in the roof above the main rooms, it also had big rusting yellow metal bars stuck in front of the stage not good for health and safety, all the floors were wooden and felt like they were about to cave in and to get there you had to walk through what certainly felt like a well dodgy area like some industrial wastelands, in saying all that it was undoubtedly the best place in london to go raving imo. - The rumour always used to be that bagleys/canvas was/is getting knocked down in the near future for the channel tunnel extension - not sure how true / viable this is.

333 is definately a "nice" well done out club with decent music but is a bit shoreditch trendy, herbal just down the road is really good although is quite small and gets well rammed.

@ Tearz never been AKA but heard it is pretty posh.

The Egg place sounds quite bad, a mate of mine had been going and the night I was supposed to go with her (but didnt coz I missed the bloomin plane...) someone got shot, this was a retaliation shooting for a stabbing that happened the week before..Oh joy, nice club.

Turnmills will be great NYE, Mr Tom and Mr Edd are DJing their Glint night. One of the few times I wish I was 20odd again and lived in London. ;)

This Fabric place sounds really good, I'm in London in February I think I might have to look into a little night out.

Thought I would also mention a mate of mine holds nights down in Hackney - proper parties in old abandoned pubs and warehouses - all very friendly and "interesting" - if anyone is in London and into the party scene and is looking for something a little different than a "superclub" - which dont get me wrong I love all the clubs in London that I go to but every now and then when you really wana keep it scruffy, hear some decent, different types of music, and get involved in an "underground" party scene, please see the following link and add them to your My Space page.

www.myspace.com/letsplayit

My mate Carl is one of the founders and DJs and its just such a wicked vibe! Its usually in some abandoned pub with loads of rooms - lots of different types of music going on and really friendly people. AS it is in Hackney it is an industrial area so no bother of police etc, and if youwanted to go, i would suggest just going out for few drinks in Hoxton then gettin a cab to take you straight to the address - dont try wandering about Hackney Wick late at night drunk!!! :)

I havent been to one of his events for ages due to not going out much thesedays but apparently its like the "old days"! I used to go out raving at The Fortress in Hoxton years ago and that was like a warehouse party but in a recording studio - brilliant! There also used to be this infamous party on Dalston High Rd years ago called "cremer St" someone actually renovated their house so that downstairs was a dancefloor, bar etc and upstairs was like their front room, youwould pay a £5 to get in (started at 9am and went on all day)!! God those were the days! I think that there is amssive revival of these types of parties/raves happening now - didnt someone just have a rave in a carpark this week, some famous DJ? Cant remember who, but remember reading about it!

Goin out in London can be an adventure and I dont like it when people say its not all that friendly when you go out - its possibly not as friendly as up North, but Londoners doo chat to each other and I have made many mates, and chatted to people on a night out - it depends where you go!!!!

Let me know if anyone wants any more info about the Let it Play scene and I will give details!

Archived