Pinochet Dead

Pragmatopian

South America was a nasty place in the 1970s. Cold war proxies bombed, murdered and tortured their way through their civilian populations. Democracy basically didn't exist.

Pinochet was a big part of that. I'm will not defend his human rights record; he presided over deliberate, planned murders and massacres, but I do think it is interesting to compare him to Che Guevara or Castro.

Che's a romantic hero, an icon teenagers put on their bedroom walls. But he was as much in favour of violence to get his political way as Pinochet.

I'd like to know the body count ... how many corpses inspired by Che and his ilk, how many by Pinochet and his cronies.

Pinochet at least knew when the writing was on the wall and gave it up ... you can list the dictators who managed successful transitions to democracy on one hand: Franco was one, Pinochet another. Even more amazingly both men were able to also create successful and wealth creating economies, and keep these stable as they disappeared from the political scheme.

Both these dictators were brutal, brutal men, but they bequeathed institutional changes on their countries which allowed liberal economic democracy to emerge. That's Pinochet's only legacy; I don't think it makes up for the murders and repression, but it does mean something.

I do not think Castro has done that; Cuba's economy is scoleritic and its future could well still be violent, its repressive today, in a thugish, keep your head down sort of way; China without the money ... now that's sad. What will happen when Fidel smokes his last cigar; nobody knows, but you've got to be optimistic to see state security suddenly deciding to put away their cattle prods and a wealth creating economy bursting into life.

I'm glad Chile has escaped repression and emerged as a vibrant democracy, I hope it will come successfully to Cuba.

Pinochet's dead; I doubt many people will mourn him, but more than a few Chileans will respect what has emerged, and acknowledge he had a role in allowing it to happen.

South America was a nasty place in the 1970s. Cold war proxies bombed, murdered and tortured their way through their civilian populations. Democracy basically didn't exist.

Pinochet was a big part of that. I'm will not defend his human rights record; he presided over deliberate, planned murders and massacres, but I do think it is interesting to compare him to Che Guevara or Castro.

Che's a romantic hero, an icon teenagers put on their bedroom walls. But he was as much in favour of violence to get his political way as Pinochet.

I'd like to know the body count ... how many corpses inspired by Che and his ilk, how many by Pinochet and his cronies.

Pinochet at least knew when the writing was on the wall and gave it up ... you can list the dictators who managed successful transitions to democracy on one hand: Franco was one, Pinochet another. Even more amazingly both men were able to also create successful and wealth creating economies, and keep these stable as they disappeared from the political scheme.

Both these dictators were brutal, brutal men, but they bequeathed institutional changes on their countries which allowed liberal economic democracy to emerge. That's Pinochet's only legacy; I don't think it makes up for the murders and repression, but it does mean something.

I do not think Castro has done that; Cuba's economy is scoleritic and its future could well still be violent, its repressive today, in a thugish, keep your head down sort of way; China without the money ... now that's sad. What will happen when Fidel smokes his last cigar; nobody knows, but you've got to be optimistic to see state security suddenly deciding to put away their cattle prods and a wealth creating economy bursting into life.

I'm glad Chile has escaped repression and emerged as a vibrant democracy, I hope it will come successfully to Cuba.

Pinochet's dead; I doubt many people will mourn him, but more than a few Chileans will respect what has emerged, and acknowledge he had a role in allowing it to happen.

Funny how you forgot (conveniently?) that Pinochet overthrew the democratically elected government of Allende in 1973, with a military coup. One of his first actions was to promptly ban elections, after he'd set about disposing of any opposition of course.

Pinochet was a murderer and torturer who played no part whatsoever in bringing democracy to Chile. Don't make the mistake of accepting the lies of fascist apologists like Thatcher. Fingers crossed she'll drop off her perch soon too.

I hope he suffered badly before his death, pity it wasn't more prolonged and in jail. If there is some other place after this life no doubt he'll be sharing it with Hitler.

Yes, it's really good to see the end of dictatorships. Now, that just leaves...

Abdelaziz Bouteflika (Algeria), Jose Eduardo dos Santos (Angola), Ilham Aliyev (Azerbaijan), Aleksandr Lukashenka (Belarus), Jigme Singye Wangchuk (Bhutan), Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah (Brunei), Than Shwe (Burma), Hun Sen (Cambodia), Paul Biya (Cameroon), Idriss Deby (Chad), Hu Jintao (China), Joseph Kabila (Congo-Kinshasa), Laurent Gbagbo (Côte d'Ivoire), Fidel Castro (Cuba), Hosni Mubarak (Egypt), Teodoro Obiang Nguema (Mbasogo, Equatorial Guinea), Isaias Afwerki (Eritrea), Frank Bainimarama (Fiji), Lansana Conte (Guinea), Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (Iran), Nursultan Nazarbayev (Kazakhstan), Khamtai Siphandon (Laos), Muammar al-Qaddafi (Libya), Maumoon Abdul Gayoom (Maldives), Kim Jong Il (North Korea), Qabus bin Said al-Said (Oman), Pervez Musharraf (Pakistan), Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani (Qatar), Vladimir Putin (Russia), Paul Kagame (Rwanda), Abdullah ibn Abdul Aziz (Al Saud, Saudi Arabia), Omar Al-Bashir (Sudan), Mswati III (Swaziland), Bashar al-Assad (Syria), Imomali Rakhmonov (Tajikistan), Sondhi Boonyaratkalin (Thailand), Faure Gnassingbé Eyadéma (Togo), Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali (Tunisia), Saparmurad Niyazov (Turkmenistan), Sultan Khalifa bin Zayed al Nehyan (United Arab Emirates), Islam Karimov (Uzbekistan), Nong Duc Manh (Vietnam) and, of course, Robert Mugabe (Zimbabwe)

Doing well, aren't we?

Silver lining news: Mrs Thatcher is 'saddened' It's good when people get sad.

We are a gutted

This was an evil man , responsible for over 3000 state sanctioned murders .

I wont loose any sleep over his death .

Friend of rich , capitalist , oppressive regimes .

How can he be compared with castro and che guevara ?

They liberated cuba from batista and his corrupt government .

They freed the people , and whatever you may read or hear the people of cuba surport castro .

I was also pleased to hear that hugo chavez got re elected.

Archived