Iom Newspapers Employ Writer Shock....

Dave the Cardboard Box

Resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one in order to say that this week's 'Quirks of Life' is also an excellent piece of writing.

Okay, it helps that I happen to agree with her opinion of the Harry Potter phenomenon but, even so, it is a thoughtful and well-produced critique.

IoM Newspapers employing writers? Whatever next??

Spoke to her not so long ago - apparently there's no full-time job for her a IOM Newspapers... perhaps they're afraid of the repercussions of employing someone with some real journalistic tendencies?

Well maybe they should start their own newspaper although if the newspapers were that bad over here marketing forces would allow a new startup. The Manx Herald is a recent one but it is quiet serious and political. Maybe if all these good feature writers that are around were to collaborate they could lighten up the rag a bit and produce it in paper copy. Worth a try maybe.

Resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one in order to say that this week's 'Quirks of Life' is also an excellent piece of writing.

Okay, it helps that I happen to agree with her opinion of the Harry Potter phenomenon but, even so, it is a thoughtful and well-produced critique.

Um...I thought it was decent too until I realised halfway through why it sounded familiar. It would seem - apparently - that chunks of it are lifted from an opinion piece by Nicholas Lezard in the Guardian on 17 July.

Lezard's Guardian Blog

Not all of it, granted, but there you go :(

For what it's worth, I do agree with the sentiments in his/her/their article...

The Manx Herald is a recent one but it is quiet serious and political.

The Manx Herald is a biased rant site & nothing more. Granted, there is an obvious need for rival news organisations on the Island, but this isn't it. As far as I can tell its two or three people doing a fairly ok job of presenting stories they want to present from a completely skewed angle.

Um...I thought it was decent too until I realised halfway through why it sounded familiar. It would seem - apparently - that chunks of it are lifted from an opinion piece by Nicholas Lezard in the Guardian on 17 July.

Lezard's Guardian Blog

ANYWAY - no offence to Laura Stuart on this one. Some might say it's a good thing she reads the Guardian. But she oughtn't to assume no-one else does. And to 'quote' from the institution which is so persistently negative about the IOM? No!

The Manx Herald is a recent one but it is quiet serious and political.

The Manx Herald is a biased rant site & nothing more. Granted, there is an obvious need for rival news organisations on the Island, but this isn't it. As far as I can tell its two or three people doing a fairly ok job of presenting stories they want to present from a completely skewed angle.

Now, back in the 1800s the Mona's Herald was a good newspaper. It sussed politics out pretty and they was all for a popularly elected House of Keys and despised them that wus agin.

For an example an from what I can tell it slandered (an I mean slandered by today's standards certainly) and slated Mr Dumbel (heavy armed MHK) l well before the collapse of the bank. Then after a fair bit of pressure they wrapped the gob up and maybe even a change of editorship it went that quite.

It must have been sweet when the bank did indeed go big bang bust. An there wus a few MHKs had to resign their seats after that furore too, they wus jus about all in it it seemed

Lezard's Guardian Blog

“Rowling's mind is so governed by clichés and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

"Harry Potter will not lead our children on to Kipling's Just So Stories or his Jungle Book. It will not lead them to Thurber's Thirteen Clocks or Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows or Lewis Carroll's Alice.

"Rowling's work appeals to millions of non-readers because they sense her wistful sincerity, and want to join her world, imaginary or not in their desire to feed a vast hunger for unreality.

"Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality?

"Can more than 35 million book buyers, and their offspring, be wrong? Yes, they have been, and will continue to be for as long as they persevere with Potter."

Yale professor and literary scholar and critic Harold Bloom, Wall Street Journal (7/11/2000)

So now we trace the Guardian blog back to it's roots!

I havent read any of the other items but I did feel glad that someone else thinks JK Rowling is a rubbish writer when I read the one in the Examiner, I tihnk its more singing from the same hymn sheet than plagerism.

I havent read any of the other items but I did feel glad that someone else thinks JK Rowling is a rubbish writer when I read the one in the Examiner, I tihnk its more singing from the same hymn sheet than plagerism.

Alas it is plagiarism - several sentences are straight lifts :( I think a whole bunch of folk out there feel the same way about JKR and will have expressed similar sentiments, but she has actually worked his exact words uncredited into her article...cheeky cheeky

Archived