Bad Start For Eddie And Peter

LoneWolf

Fresh from the election it hasnt taken long for Eddie Teare and Peter Karran to place themselves at the centre of controversy.

What on earth was Mr Teare thinking about when he angered Home Affairs Minister John Shimmin. Whats this about ?

And what on earth got into Mr Karran again when he drew this criticism from Alan Bell.

Why This ?

Small wonder Tynwald commands such little respect from the community.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What on earth was Mr Teare thinking about when he angered Home Affairs Minister John Shimmin. Whats this about ?

Maybe JS was surprised that it seems to have been a civil matter where Mr Proffitt was asked nicely about paying back expenses etc, when in the past several police officers were dragged through the courts and had their phones tapped for accusations of diddling expenses

Inconsistent would not seem to be the word.

Maybe JS was surprised that it seems to have been a civil matter where Mr Proffitt was asked nicely about paying back expenses etc, when in the past several police officers were dragged through the courts and had their phones tapped for accusations of diddling expenses.

I think you will find it was Mr Teare who angered Mr Shimmin by what he said, not the other way around.

Maybe JS was surprised that it seems to have been a civil matter where Mr Proffitt was asked nicely about paying back expenses etc, when in the past several police officers were dragged through the courts and had their phones tapped for accusations of diddling expenses.

I think you will find it was Mr Teare who angered Mr Shimmin by what he said, not the other way around.

I must have misheard the report. Anyway. pretty inconsistent it would seem in view of past actions taken when similar allegations have been made.

Its more a question of how MHKs are conducting themselves and behaving inside Tynwald. Very badly IMHO.

I quite like Peter's new tactics. Table five linked questions that clearly and undeniably convey a story - wait to get a warning so that it does not matter what the answers you get are. Now everyone knows what the accusations are, assumes they are based in fact as you got warned, and as you made them in Tynwald your doing it under parliamentary privilidge.

You can't fault him. Everyone seems to think he has a few slates missing. Far from the truth.

Its more a question of how MHKs are conducting themselves and behaving inside Tynwald. Very badly IMHO.

I quite like Peter's new tactics. Table five linked questions that clearly and undeniably convey a story - wait to get a warning so that it does not matter what the answers you get are. Now everyone knows what the accusations are, assumes they are based in fact as you got warned, and as you made them in Tynwald your doing it under parliamentary privilidge.

You can't fault him. Everyone seems to think he has a few slates missing. Far from the truth.

The general idea is MHKs will represent their constituents inside the rules of Parliament.

Going off the rails on the one hand and abusing the rules on the other isnt really doing justice to the expectations of constituents.

Im not really certain, either, that the business details of a promenade boarding house are a suitable subject for the national parliament to be debating.

The general idea is MHKs will represent their constituents inside the rules of Parliament.

Going off the rails on the one hand and abusing the rules on the other isnt really doing justice to the expectations of constituents.

Im not really certain, either, that the business details of a promenade boarding house are a suitable subject for the national parliament to be debating.

If 'Pete' has info that the 'boarding house' may have been doing something not totally above board, then he should present his 'evidence' to the police & the FSC, if it is the case that the 'boarding house' in question has received government assistance in terms of grants, or other payments, then IMHO it becomes totally public domain and certainly should be brought to light and he should be praised for bringing it out into the open.

- I currently have no idea about what the allegations might be, but knowing how 'Pete' operates, to me it certainly feels like something dodgy may have been going on, and if he does expose some dodgy dealings that may come to light, then he is doing a fantastic job, the truth will eventually come out, what ever it is.

No debating allowed - this was asking and answering questions only

Which brings me to:

6. The Hon Member for Onchan (Mr Karran) to ask the Chief Minister –

Would you instruct the Department of Local Government and the

Environment to carry out a report on the feasibility of the Ballakilley Estate in

the Parish of Rushen being zoned as a public open space and recreational area

for the south of the Island, and to report back to the April 2007 sitting of

Tynwald with recommendations on how this can be achieved?

Now, the 3 lads from Rushen were getting uptight about this, and rightfully so I would say, at first anyway

Recent Manx Radio Report - Rushen MHKs Call For Sports Facility on Ballakilley Estate

"What is he doing trying to take our thunder" the trio seemed to be thinking, aghast that an Onchan bloke was treading on their hallowed ground

There was a particularly mocking and scathing look from the new young fella. "Jeez, that bloke from Onchan hasn't got a couple of O'levels to rub together and doesn't know half the words I know" he seemed to be thinking.

Then Peter Karran (as quite a few more in the House started rearing up against him) with impeccable timing, told Tynwald, for the benefit of those that did not already know, that the question was actually tabled 10 years ago.

The Rushen Three.

Jaws dropped in unison.

As they tried to remember what the heck they were doing 10 years ago.

Hmmm, maybe best not go there.

None were Politicians anyway.

Then Peter Karran (as quite a few more in the House started rearing up against him) with impeccable timing, told Tynwald, for the benefit of those that did not already know, that the question was actually tabled 10 years ago.

The Rushen Three.

Jaws dropped in unison.

As they tried to remember what the heck they were doing 10 years ago.

Hmmm, maybe best not go there.

None were Politicians anyway.

Well I dont want to rain on your parade [as a member of the PK appreciation society], but what gives Peter Karran the right to interfere with Port Erin local politics. What goes on at that trivial level in Port Erin is the business of the Port Erin Commissioners and the local electorate .. not Peter Karran. [have you seen the BallaKilley estate anyhow ??]

Quite apart from his obvious intellectual shortcomings he now has provided positive proof he lacks insight. [what sort of dickhead trawls through that sort of nonsense 10 years back?]

Does anyone think Tynwald should be debating this sort of trivia when there are at least one or two pressing national issues I can think of [have a look at Peter Karran's manifesto if you need reminding]?

If so you should be pushing for local government reform. Let Peter Karran do it all himself.

what gives Peter Karran the right to interfere with Port Erin local politics

Hmmm........I wonder........

(Incidentally LW, I walked over the Ballakilley Estate to school)

In that case you should be fully aware it is a local issue and the Commissioners have been pursuing it for sometime.

As usual Mr Karran is trying to steal someone else's thunder. It most definately is not a matter for the national parliament to debate and it most definately is not an issue which Mr Karran has come up with himself.

Face it. He is extremely limited.

BallaKilley

Nothing in Onchan for him to garner publicity from ?

I have to say if Tynwald is going to carry on like this it bodes very badly.

The attorney general has said in no uncertain terms that Eddie Teare was out of order: IOMonline link.

MEA chairman Eddie Teare said the board was 'deeply disappointed and frustrated' that a full police investigation will not take place, following advice from the Attorney General's chambers.

Answering that criticism in Tynwald today, Mr Corlett insisted decisions to prosecute were not for politicians.

He said suggestions and innuendo that the chambers had blocked a police investigation, impeded the interviews of key witnesses or promoted negotiation of secret deals were 'completely untrue and ought not to have been made or hinted at.'

For a politician to accuse the attorney general of blocking a police investigation, impeding interviews of witnessess or promoting secret deals is little short of amazing.

Archived