Bad Start For Eddie And Peter

LoneWolf

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And Mr Teare has been promoted, apparently in spite of his alleged indiscretion, to the department with some of the most intractable problems, Ramsey Cottage Hospital, waiting lists, dental service and pensions.

Me thinks HMAG WJHC QC protests too much. If someone claims expenses knowing they are not entitled that is a criminal act (I do not refer to anyone, just an exercise in theoretical criminal law). A later offer to pay back may mitigate the sentence on conviction but it does not alter the crime.

The same with a building grant me thinks as well.

The MEA wanted to see about prosecuting a former member(s) (I do not suggest they are guilty) but apparently the AG's chambers have negotiated an payback deal in return for not prosecuting. The MEA chairman speaks out and the AG sulks.

Maybe Mr Brown should be looking at replacing someone else.

Does the AG stay in post till a retirement age? or is it a post that's renewable?

Remember....the judiciary are untouchable by MHKs. They are untouchable by Tynwald.

They are quite literally a law unto themselves, with perhaps a bit of lip service to Lord Falconer and his Department.

Like many past deemsters he took up the post of Attorney General prior to becoming second deemster

When one of the other judiciary dies/retires/resigns they do a bit of shuffling about/promotion.

lard_II - new and improved with a wider spout and extra shite

Like many past deemsters he took up the post of Attorney General prior to becoming second deemster

When one of the other judiciary dies/retires/resigns they do a bit of shuffling about/promotion.

lard_II - new and improved with a wider spout and extra shite

Mike Kerruish was Attorney General prior to becoming Second Deemster. He became Attorney General because the previous incumbent - Thomas William Cain - had himself been promoted to Second Deemster.

In connection with the above, the Second Deemster vacancy for TW Cain happened when the then Second Deemster Henry William Callow retired - 30th September 1993.

Now, going back a few years, TW Cain took over the post of Attorney General in 1980. He took over from John William Corrin because JW Corrin had been promoted to.....you guessed it Second Deemster.

Shall I continue?

Perhaps a little bit more then:-

John William Corrin became Attorney General after Arthur Christian Luft vacated the position. Why did Arthur Christian Luft vacate the position of Attorney General ? To become Second Deemster.

Much can be read into this brief history lesson, but that should do ye for now.

Edited to say that I am taking the huff, until Ian Rush apologises.

AG listed under the "Isle of Man Judiciary and Law Officers"

First Deemster & Clerk of the Rolls

Second Deemster

(acting Deemster panel)

Judge of Appeal

High Bailiff

Deputy High Bailiff

-

Her MAjesty's Attorney General

lard_II,

I hold my hands up for mis-construing the reference to ‘past’ in the lee side of an excessively festive weekend and Monday evening.

However, I don’t think it necessarily follows in this day and age that it’s simply a case of ‘shuffling about’. Promotion, yes, but shuffling, no. Also, is there any better way than to progress up through the ranks, given the need to be familiar with the Island’s laws, Courts, legislature and executive?

First Deemster is also notionally significant constitutional role (deputy Governor) and I for one am glad it’s held by a Manxman and likely to be so to at least the mid-term future, rather than have someone from off-Island parachuted in.

I’m not sure you’re right to say a Deemster (or Judge in the UK) cannot be removed, as I suspect they hold office under some arcane phraseology such as at “her Majesty’s pleasure”.

Certainly it’s correct that the legislature can’t remove judges. It’s believed that one of the tenets of a mature constitution that legislature, executive and judiciary are separate so that they act as checks and balances.

However, the role of the AG, esp. in the IoM as a member of the upper house of the legislature causes some problems*. This is equally a problem in the UK, e.g. the unholy whiff being given off by the SFO investigation into BAe being put off in the interest of diplomatic relations.

Finally, I would say sorry, but I do rather like your new sig ;-)

* getting back on thread at last

Archived