New Speaker Elected - Steve Rodan

mona

I just heard Steve Rodan was elected Speaker.

Apparently along with Peter Karran and Bill Malarkey, 4 of the new MHKs were sporting the smart yellow ties of the Liberal Vannin party in the House of Keys this afternoon. Juan Watterson, David Quirk, Graham Cregeen and Tim Crookall.

If it is true then it's extremely disappointing and IMO somewhat underhand, given that at least one of those named claimed during the requisition meetings they were standing as an independent candidate and didn't agree with party politics.

I've got nothing against them joining the LV party in particular, it just strikes me as very soon to have made the decision to join following their public declarations of independence. I hope those individuals will give their constituents the courtesy of an explanation if they have decided to sign up so soon after the election, if nothing else than to assure people that there were no secret deals done before the vote.

Apparently along with Peter Karran and Bill Malarkey, 4 of the new MHKs were sporting the smart yellow ties of the Liberal Vannin party in the House of Keys this afternoon. Juan Watterson, David Quirk, Graham Cregeen and Tim Crookall.

I heard they just had custard at lunchtime - just before playtime.

I do hope you're joking. If this is true, it represents a shockingly underhand move on the parts of the MHKs concerned and reflects extremely badly on Peter Karran. Seven out of nine Lib Vannin candidates are overwhelmingly rejected, and then four successful candidates who declared themselves as Independents strengthen the party's cadre to six three weeks into a five year term? It's the sort of thing one would expect to happen in a South American quasi-democracy. Then again, since Lib Vannin has allied itself to the Liberal Democrats in the UK (not exactly a bunch of people who believe in playing things straight), anything could be possible.

Then again, since Lib Vannin has allied itself to the Liberal Democrats in the UK (not exactly a bunch of people who believe in playing things straight), anything could be possible.

Not quite true. If you look at LV and then Liberal Democrat policies they don't equate and are clearly quite different parties (apart from a couple of mealy mouthed statements that are common to most constitutions). Closer analysis will show you that LV is actually closer to Labour's policies than anything. Most political defections in the UK tend to be from Labour or Conservative to Lib Dem at present.

Interesting that the LV website seems to have dissapeared at present too. http://www.liberalvannin.co.im/ or http://www.liberalvannin.im/

Then again, since Lib Vannin has allied itself to the Liberal Democrats in the UK (not exactly a bunch of people who believe in playing things straight), anything could be possible.

Not quite true. If you look at LV and then Liberal Democrat policies they don't equate and are clearly quite different parties (apart from a couple of mealy mouthed statements that are common to most constitutions).

Fair comment, but I think they have declared themselves an "affiliate party" (or was it "associate party"?) of the Lib Dems, and certainly took campaigning advice from them. If so, what has happened today could just be the thin end of an extremely unpleasant wedge.

Party whip isn't working too well then - only PK and WM voted against TB...

That was in Tynwald this morning Grumble. At least PK an W(B?)M declared their spoilt papers - I wonder who the other three were? !

The yellow ties were worn this afternoon in the House of Keys. I understand it was meant as 'a bit of a wind-up'. It certainly confused a few people.

I can't believe they all made the decision after the election - two of them had great victories without and LV support. Maybe PK should be looking for moles?

I heard they just had custard at lunchtime - just before playtime.

No, they have to have their nap before playtime. Otherwise they get very tired and irritable!

Think about it.

Making Rodan the Speaker gets him out of the COMIN club because he has done enough damage to the NHS.

Some of these MHKs are not as daft as one would think.

As for Peter and Bill, Lib Van, it is a start.

I hope they make a better job of a party than the Manx Labour Party which is nothing short of a Telly Tubbies show.

PS. Anyone know what rock Mec Vannin is hiding under?

Archived