Wanted: Cockatiel/parrot

loaf

Ok, I've had a bit of a mini obsession with parrots and the like for a while - I've had a Cockatiel in the past and they're probably about just right in terms of maintenance, but if anyone has contacts that have some 'tiels, parrots or similar birds that are selling, can they PM me or otherwise contact via the forum..

I'm aware of the commitments etc - (50 years for some birds!).. I'd like to talk to some breeders about what sort of time I can give to such a pet...

cheers.

L

I tried to get one a few years back and I got messed around something rotten by a pet shop in douglas (not the one near topshop) and then some more by another place in the west of the island.

Basically I had always wanted a parrot since I could remember, and had done a fair bit of swatting up about them and already bought a very large cage and loads of toys in advance.

I realised that being out at work every day I should get a comparatively 'low maintenance' parrot, and after discussing it quite a bit with the pet shop they told me a Conure would be ideal so I stuck my name on the waiting list for the ones that would be there in the next 2 or 3 months....

In the meantime I did some reading up on them to make sure it would be suitable. Then after 18 months of excuses about how they 'were due some but they hadn't arrived' etc I got fed up & tried the place in the west. They put me down for one and numerous months later nothing had happened so more than a little dismayed I sold all the stuff I'd bought and decided maybe I'd try again in future.

Since then I've seen plenty of tidy birds for sale in the courier (mainly African Greys - I think people don't realise the commitment to owning one) but if I was still going to buy one I would want a youngster that will properly bond with you rather than one a few years old that someone has probably got bored with, caused it to behave badly then you pay a small fortune to buy a feathery problem.

There's a part of me that finds the idea of keeping a creature in a cage part of the time a bit distasteful, so whilst I still really want one I'm always in two minds about whether I should or not really.

Good luck and if you find any useful info it'd be good to know for future reference.

Yep, even last week there was a 6 year old Timneh African Grey for sale in the Courier. Had been taken by the time I'd rung the number, although greys are probably a lot more maintenance than I'd be able to give, I was, in a way, relieved that someone else had got there first.

I think we both have the same set of values when it comes to this - we're approaching owning a bird with the due care and attention it deserves, not just on a whim. Following a bit of research I understand there's a fur and feather show in Ramsey next month, and I have the number of someone representing the IOM caged bird society too.

Regarding the guilt about having a "caged bird" - yep, I know exactly where you're coming from, but one wonders whether such a bird in this country/climate would survive on its own, so by that token you're accepting that while it's a bit unnatural for a parrot to live in the UK/IOM, but you're committed to giving them the best shot at a happy life while they've been born here. That's how I see it.

I'm happy to take my time with this, I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Obviously, this is probably gone by now but it may be worth getting in touch with this forum member:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...&hl=african

I've been seriously considering getting a parrot for about a year, but after a lot of research I think I've gone off the idea. Too much of a commitment. I was after a green cheeked conure, which are supposed to have the personality of a larger parrot, but not the noise. I think there was a breeder in Chester.

Obviously, this is probably gone by now but it may be worth getting in touch with this forum member:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...&hl=african

I've been seriously considering getting a parrot for about a year, but after a lot of research I think I've gone off the idea. Too much of a commitment. I was after a green cheeked conure, which are supposed to have the personality of a larger parrot, but not the noise. I think there was a breeder in Chester.

No sorry. She has gone.

Ok, I've had a bit of a mini obsession with parrots and the like for a while - I've had a Cockatiel in the past and they're probably about just right in terms of maintenance, but if anyone has contacts that have some 'tiels, parrots or similar birds that are selling, can they PM me or otherwise contact via the forum..

I'm aware of the commitments etc - (50 years for some birds!).. I'd like to talk to some breeders about what sort of time I can give to such a pet...

cheers.

L

Hello, the man you need to get in touch with for any sort of bird/parrot is a guy called Mike Creer. He breeds and sells just about everything with the medium sized birds. He has lots of cockatiels. You won't get a very young now and ideally if you want a very tame bird, you would be looking at a hand reared one. Also try to make sure you get a boy. Girl cockatiels can start laying eggs when kept indoors in central heated houses and it can be a nightmare. I started off with 1 boy cockatiel and read that they need company so I got another baby. 6 months later it was obviously a girl. 18 months later and 21 eggs laid, I had an aviary built as indoors wasn't for her. I now have 40 cockatiels, 35 canaries and 6 grass parakeets. I do love the cockatiels. Mike Creers number is 852171. He has lots of aviaries and different species. If he hasn't got what you want, he'll know someone who will. I can't supply you as everytime I have any babies born I tame them and can't part with them. Cockatiels live to between and 15 and 30 years.

• 1 year later...

Archived