[BBC News] Isle of Man population increases

Newsbot

I was suprised with the number of africans... i think it was around 400+ (from my quick read). I'm guessing though that about half that number come from South Africa alone.. and are generally white! I don't remember seeing that many blackafricans here yet.

Number of asians though... does not suprise me.

Does the Island really need MORE bigotry?

Being a finite size and having limited resources I'm sorry to say that it does - though 'selectivism' might be a better word to use. All countries are 'bigots' in the sense that their immigration policy is designed to filter out 'the weak and the undesirables' and select the best candidates to aid the development of their economic strategy whilst protecting their culture. All companies are 'bigots' because they do the same in selecting employees. In that sense the work-permit system is already 'bigoted' in that it protects IOM workers.

IMHO one solution would be the consideration, discussion, development and announcement of a well thought out immigration policy based on ability and not race. Like Canada, perhaps this could be based on a points system of our own design possibly applied more stringently through something like the work-permit system (based on experiences, languages, qualifications etc. stated annually in the economic plan), whilst e.g. keeping in-check the number of pensioners retiring here, many of whom are doing so to avoid inheritance tax etc. by joining sons and daughters who have already moved here.

I see on MR the Home Affairs Minister: "has rejected claims the Isle of Man needs to develop its own immigration laws. John Shimmin told MHK's that United Kingdom legislation, seen as relevant to the Island is currently being adapted. But members claimed stricter controls are needed, and Martyn Quayle referred to the recent visit of the British National Party. North Douglas MHK, John Houghton, said the government needs to know about everyone working over here. Mr Shimmin says in practical terms that would be a huge task".

In regard to the MR interview it was a small part of approximately 20 minutes of questionning on the complex matter of immigration legislation. The main point being made was that we choose to incorporate appropriate legislation that suits the Island, without having to introduce the whole cost and bureaucracy of port controls which would affect all individuals travelling to/from the Island.

I have openly expressed my concern on the radio and in the Keys about the actions of the BNP, but feel they have already engendered more publicity than they deserve and will not add to that debate.

I agree wholeheartedly that immigration is a concern to a growing number of people on our Island, however the facts do not bear out the assumptions being made.

Our two main planks of protection are the work permit system and our benefits shcemes. People can only gain either if they are eligible to work and that a vacancy cannot be filled locally- people cannot arrive off the boat and attempt to claim any benefits, which is why we are unattractive to most illegal entrants. Of course there will be indivduals and employers who try and abuse the systems, but in general terms we have a much better protection than most jurisdictions.

This is not complacency and I acknowledge there are many issues which we must address - particularly ensuring that people coming to our Island to fill vacancies are integrated into our community and not excluded by economic or social factors. The matter is not going to go away, as we require a sufficient pool of labour to service the ever growing expectations of our society and this will inevitably require people to come here to live - the challenge will be to ensure that we all understand the benefits they bring and to make them join our community, rather than try to set up their own separated communities.

It will be interesting to see the Census figures when they are available, but current indicators are that there are fewer new residents arriving recently compared to previous times.

With the release of these figures, and the concerns voiced by many voters canvassed during the election, it is clear that the facts actually do bear out the assumptions being made.

It is time to act on this and to ensure that immigration and residency laws are updated. This needs to start with a major debate on the direction which we want to take the island, including linking immigration to economic strategy, as well as linking residency to overstretched resources such as the health service etc. and to local unemployment levels etc. Any more delays will lead to some major problems if these issues are not addressed now (especially if various budgets start to become tight as predicted).

I think migration is a good thing. As an employer, I'm less concerned about where someone was born, than whether they're well-motivated, hard-working and committed to improvement. As an individual, I am more concerned that the people I associate with are genuine and interesting than that I share recent ancestry with them. I feel privileged that I can count as my friends and colleagues people from around the world, with the varying perspectives that they bring adding colour and depth to my own experiences. Every culture, country and ethnic group has a spectrum of people range from the hard-working and generally decent to utter wastrels. The indigenous population of the Isle of Man is clearly no exception to this principle.

I sincerely hope that any debate on migration does not degenerate into the usual ill-informed, sensationalist crap peddled by the BNP-Daily Mail along the lines:

White anglo-saxon protestant = good

Anyone else = bad

I think migration is a good thing. As an employer, I'm less concerned about where someone was born, than whether they're well-motivated, hard-working and committed to improvement. As an individual, I am more concerned that the people I associate with are genuine and interesting than that I share recent ancestry with them. I feel privileged that I can count as my friends and colleagues people from around the world, with the varying perspectives that they bring adding colour and depth to my own experiences. Every culture, country and ethnic group has a spectrum of people range from the hard-working and generally decent to utter wastrels. The indigenous population of the Isle of Man is clearly no exception to this principle.

I sincerely hope that any debate on migration does not degenerate into the usual ill-informed, sensationalist crap peddled by the BNP-Daily Mail along the lines:

White anglo-saxon protestant = good

Anyone else = bad

I agree with your sentiment. But given limited space, as in a lifeboat, there is only room for so many and so tough choices sometimes have to be made. These choices shouldn't be made on a racist basis - but do have to reflect a balance that will protect the culture and values of the Isle of Man and which will make it remain the place we all want to live, rather than just some additional county of England. Equally, people who have paid into local services shouldn't be penalised in the event of budget cuts, to subsidise any number of people who have simply retired here and not put anything significant into the island.

I agree with your sentiment. But given limited space, as in a lifeboat, there is only room for so many and so tough choices sometimes have to be made. These choices shouldn't be made on a racist basis - but do have to reflect a balance that will protect the culture and values of the Isle of Man and which will make it remain the place we all want to live, rather than just some additional county of England. Equally, people who have paid into local services shouldn't be penalised in the event of budget cuts, to subsidise any number of people who have simply retired here and not put anything significant into the island.

What he said ... couldn't have put it better myself.

Number of asians though... does not suprise me.

(Not so thinly veiled) Racism?

far from it.

I always find it funny when JC is pictured as some white middle class bloke from Hampshire (like in your avatar) - when he was actually an arab who didn't speak a word of english. Pot kettle black and all that.

I don't care if the people that live here are black, white, yellow, pink or green - as long as they all fight to protect the island's culture I'd be happy to call them 'manxees'.

Archived