[BBC News] Isle of Man population increases

Newsbot

Very valid point Albert

I used to work with a woman who was born and bred in Essex but had lived here 30 odd years and was manxer than most people who had lived here all their lives

The analogical lifeboat has plenty of room yet. Should be a free for all, the population will find it's own natural balance.

Not sure about this. The Isle of Man may have (at present) half the population density of the Ukay. However, it is the amount of economic room that actually applies.

Consider that Australia, with masses of space, applies strict residency criteria to ensure the right people get in. Additionally they are quite happy to tell those who don't want to fit in with the Aussie culture to go back from whence they came. Seems fair to me.

Number of asians though... does not suprise me.

(Not so thinly veiled) Racism?

far from it.

I always find it funny when JC is pictured as some white middle class bloke from Hampshire (like in your avatar) - when he was actually an arab who didn't speak a word of english. Pot kettle black and all that.

LOL

Look more closely at the avatar. I hardly think it pictures him as 'white'. More 'olive' colour which is actually... suited to the Arabs/Israelies. But yeah... everyone knows he wasn't "white".

I suppose middle class blokes from Hampshire dress in robes too?? because the likeness.... is unbelievable isn't it?!

I agree with your sentiment. But given limited space, as in a lifeboat, there is only room for so many and so tough choices sometimes have to be made. These choices shouldn't be made on a racist basis - but do have to reflect a balance that will protect the culture and values of the Isle of Man and which will make it remain the place we all want to live, rather than just some additional county of England. Equally, people who have paid into local services shouldn't be penalised in the event of budget cuts, to subsidise any number of people who have simply retired here and not put anything significant into the island.

Interesting point well made, although I do think if you asked 100 people what the culture and values on the Isle of Man were you'd get 10 different answers (1 of those answers being 'don't know' and given by 91 of the people you'd asked ;) )

Very valid point Albert

I used to work with a woman who was born and bred in Essex but had lived here 30 odd years and was manxer than most people who had lived here all their lives

An 'Essex Girl' would probably fit in very well in Peel.

(oh, dear! Is that racist?)

Archived