Some Awful Happenings In The News Of Late

steven !

John I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis of the prison system and have argued much the same in other similar threads (but not as authoritatively or as eloquently). I also suspect your analysis of the birch is equally as accurate although I was in my late teens when the famous appeal to Salzburg was made in the late 70's.

In order to tackle crime, I think you have to go back to basics and reinforce a sense of social responsibility in both children and, probably more importantly and effectively, their parents. I also think a climate should be fostered where everyone has responsibility for their own actions and the right to respect without fear of rataliation if they have the audacity to admonish (no stronger) anti-social behaviour aimed against them.

I still can't work out why it costs £10m to build a world class hotel on the Steampacket site - £120m to build one of the most advanced hospitals in Europe - and £140m to build a friggin prison out of breeze blocks on a field in Jurby?

Someone wants birching that's for sure.

The words "taking", "the" and "piss" spring to mind.

Ha, ha, ha, ha...........

and not a word about the MEA!!!

The money was up there for grabs and it was took - big time. By an awful lot of people who were susceptible to greed and corruption when the money was offered.

There are an awful lot of people on this Island who must be feeling just a little bit susceptible themselves just now.

Except maybe, just maybe, the forces will succeeed in covering it all up.

Aye, they'll be saying "phew" a few times over the coming years

....waiting for us all to draw a line under it.

...move on.

to the next one.

You misunderstand the MEA thing. It is not about someone making off with £££s, but whether the otherwise regular borrowing was within the powers of the MEA. As far as anything else, we will have to wait and see but it will be very small beer in comparison to the real question.

• 2 weeks later...
You misunderstand the MEA thing. It is not about someone making off with £££s, but whether the otherwise regular borrowing was within the powers of the MEA. As far as anything else, we will have to wait and see but it will be very small beer in comparison to the real question.

à la contraire, I do not misunderstand the MEA thing, not at all.

Irrespective of the legality or otherwise of the loans, money - and I mean lots of it - was scattered about on the recent MEA projects like confetti.

Anyway, back on thread:

Violent Incident at Chippy

I still can't work out why it costs £10m to build a world class hotel on the Steampacket site - £120m to build one of the most advanced hospitals in Europe - and £140m to build a friggin prison out of breeze blocks on a field in Jurby?

I think you'll find that the specification for our brand new prison is a lot more than breeze blocks.

But I agree it's way over the top, I can't help wondering are they thinking of bringing category (A) prisoners in from across to use it's marvellous facilities.

Archived