Planning Decisions

Tempus Fugit

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does that include wool control, quayles and the coal depot? Prime site. Access over river to nunnery land which is designated for development?

just a slight snag called a Railway running between them :)

oops !

Planning to move the 150 year old Heritage line that has just been comprehensively and expensively replaced by the manx taxpayer. That's a piece of piss, when would you like to start building Mr Developer. Next Christmas?

Sooner?

Well. Ok.

Its going to be tough ignoring all those protests though but I'm sure we can manage it.

In planning matters a refusal must be explained satisfactorily in that refusal. The reason that "it won't look very nice" as in a case in Ramsey, doesn't hold water really.

The inspectors are independant in every sense, the criteria being they know planning, which is more that can be said for your average commissioner or MHK for that matter. A plan can be refused but wothout a good reason it will be appealed against and overturned if the only reason is that people don't like it. the alternative is for 'ribbon development' in the countryside and over development of farm (brown) land.

The answer, imho, is for training for everyone involved in planning decisions on the island so they understand the implications of their decisions. A 'no' vote can cost an authority thousands of pounds for the sake of a few days training. It's not a case of not making the decisions, just being sure you can defend that reason for refusing.

All the planners I have worked with were honest people tied down to a set of unworkable principles.

Announced on the MR news today that Minister Rimmington has overturned a planning refusal for a development.

Mr Rimmington is no longer Minister, no longer MHK, so when did he make the decision ?

I see this as cynical manipulation of the government system, and the ex-Minister got what he deserved.

It proves that democracy works.

Didn't get voted back in because people thought he was an arse.

Gets the hump and pulls a stunt like this and shows himself to be an arse.

Thats full circle in my book.

In planning matters a refusal must be explained satisfactorily in that refusal. The reason that "it won't look very nice" as in a case in Ramsey, doesn't hold water really.

The inspectors are independant in every sense, the criteria being they know planning, which is more that can be said for your average commissioner or MHK for that matter. A plan can be refused but wothout a good reason it will be appealed against and overturned if the only reason is that people don't like it.

Ideally. But who is it that overturns the decision? The Minister for Local Government and the Environment. And 'the people' not liking something is a good enough reason to refuse permission. It doesn't even have to be a majority, if he and the planning committee don't like it, that's enough reason too.

Ideally. But who is it that overturns the decision? The Minister for Local Government and the Environment. And 'the people' not liking something is a good enough reason to refuse permission. It doesn't even have to be a majority, if he and the planning committee don't like it, that's enough reason too.

At least moving foreward they have a minister who I'm sure will use his integrity to act sensibly and proportionately in these instances.

In my 30yrs in the Building Trade, i've found that " Common Sense " and " Planning " very rarely go together.

However I've seen that " Planning " and " Who you know, Who you are, How much influence you have, How much money you have and How many strings you're prepared to pull " seem to go hand in hand alot off the times and seems to be quit the norm and acceptable to most powers that be.

The Planning Proccedure sucked 10 yrs ago, it sucks now and will continue to suck in the future untill people are put in place who apply common sense in an intelligent way as apart from getting a job just because they're clever enough to pass an exam or two.

It is unbelieveable that in this day and age that the final say on any appeal goes to a Minister who has no background knowledge, experiance or qualifications in any type of Construction based industry and can then overturn the advice from Independant Advisors who do.

In my 30yrs in the Building Trade, i've found that " Common Sense " and " Planning " very rarely go together.

Totally true. You can spend a week plannng a project and within the first week it usually goes out of the window

The reason that "it won't look very nice" as in a case in Ramsey, doesn't hold water really.

Not arguing about this case at all, as I don't know the details, but the "aesthetics" of a proposal must be a significant factor, but I suppose that is a subjective test to a degree

Archived