All Shall Have Prizes

Moghrey Mie

I personally think the manx cheese is pretty top notch compared to the alternatives out there - Druidale especially is very tasty

I think a number of awards agree with that view too

The awards are irrelevant. I don't need some cosy back slapping food industry 'competition' to tell me which cheeses I should enjoy. I'll make my own mind up. I do quite like the Druidale though. It's the onion and sage, or the basil and chive(?) that I can't be bothered with. It's all factory cheese though, mass produced and the board aren't afraid of using additives. And like I said, none of it could command top money at somewhere discerning like Borough Market.

The awards are irrelevant. I don't need some cosy back slapping food industry 'competition' to tell me which cheeses I should enjoy. I'll make my own mind up. I do quite like the Druidale though. It's the onion and sage, or the basil and chive(?) that I can't be bothered with. It's all factory cheese though, mass produced and the board aren't afraid of using additives. And like I said, none of it could command top money at somewhere discerning like Borough Market.

So we're agreed then-it requires one minister and 3 MHKs to tell the agricultural sector to add value to their products!

It's probably cheaper than Satchii and Satchii I suppose.

are you a Borough Market?

Mr Gawne has stated that his biggest challenge is to deal with the looming EU red meat derogation and I supppose it is how we prepare for that that is high on the agenda.

With such a small economy, there should be no fear of protectionism, but there should be something to protect. Perhaps a path to consider would be to make all farming on the island subject to basic organic principles and then prohibit (if that is possible after derogation) all products which are not produced to the same standards. That would have a two-fold effect of excluding the cheap grot that we fear will swamp our shops and also creating a product which may have export appeal.

So we're agreed then-it requires one minister and 3 MHKs to tell the agricultural sector to add value to their products!

It's probably cheaper than Satchii and Satchii I suppose.

I don't think the sector is big enough for clowns like the Saatchis to be involved, unlike in NZ. Very high quality small scale production is what's needed. The restaurant sector alone could probably take total produce of the right products. Organic could be the way to go, although I understand that it takes many years to achieve that status from the Soil Association. And we're in 2007 already. I wonder what has already been done in preparation for this years new status, which can hardly be described as a bolt from the blue can it?

Archived