Pit Bull Terriers

copycat

Are there any pit bull terrier type dogs on the IOM? Does the IOM have a Dangerous Dogs Act? Following the recent fatallity in St Helens is there any chance it could happen here on the IOM with a pit bull terrier type dog? If there are pit bull terrier type dogs on the IOM what are the politicians and authorities doing about the situation? It will be too late if there are such dogs here and a fatality occurs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any pit bull terrier type dogs on the IOM? Does the IOM have a Dangerous Dogs Act? Following the recent fatallity in St Helens is there any chance it could happen here on the IOM with a pit bull terrier type dog? If there are pit bull terrier type dogs on the IOM what are the politicians and authorities doing about the situation? It will be too late if there are such dogs here and a fatality occurs.

Why don't you tell us MCB. Does the Island have any dangerous dogs? And do they do dangerous white poos that the corpy has to pick up?

It isn’t really the dogs that are the problem. All dogs can be dangerous. The problems with dogs occur when they are owned by people with no idea what a huge responsibility a dog is. The people who have 'guard dogs' in 2up, 2down 'mansions' with a small back yard for exercise, the people who think that fancy poodle looks divine and only needs walked when the sun is shining. The govt needs to make more checks on dogs and their licences so these types of dog are not owned by fools. That’s a dreadful thing that's happened and I think that the dogs owner should be had up on a man slaughter charge or something like that.

It isn’t really the dogs that are the problem. All dogs can be dangerous. The problems with dogs occur when they are owned by people with no idea what a huge responsibility a dog is. The people who have 'guard dogs' in 2up, 2down 'mansions' with a small back yard for exercise, the people who think that fancy poodle looks divine and only needs walked when the sun is shining. The govt needs to make more checks on dogs and their licences so these types of dog are not owned by fools. That’s a dreadful thing that's happened and I think that the dogs owner should be had up on a man slaughter charge or something like that.

Your dead right, its the owners fault.

Pitbulls are what are often referred to as "Fuckwitt's dogs" as everytime you see one theres some tattooed fuckwitt or chain smoking chav-ess on the other end of the lead.

There is no hope for these animals as their owners are morons.

The fact is that regardless of how well and how 'correctly' you treat an animal and how much it appears to be part of the family/man's best friend etc it is still an animal, and just like humans lose the plot sometimes so do animals.

The difference is something like a dog that has it in its nature & evolution to be vicious is more likely to kick off if it feels threatened or pissed off regardless of whether that has been the intention or not. Even a 'tame' breed of dog can do a lot of damage if it decides to but I do believe these sort of dogs are much likely to be responsible for this sort of thing. After all, how often do you hear about people being savaged by poodles & sausage dogs?

I'm not against people having pets like these especially if they treat them right but they do come with an increased risk.

We should anticipate the worst case scenario and destroy all these fighting type terriers. (Although there's a bloke who struts about Onchan village with one of these in such a macho way. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He's like a dog loving Freddy Mercury. My amusement is of lesser importance than a child's life however.) And while we're at it we might as well put down all the Rottweilers as well.

As far as I am concerned all dogs have the potential to seriously hurt a young child or helpless person ... there are even documented cases of such toy dogs as yorkies killing a pensioner.

I agree that some dog breeds are too viscious to be allowed to be raised nowadays and should be completely banned - pit bulls etc.

For other breeds a large component of their bad behaviour can be put down to bad treatment/training by their owners. I think with some breeds muzzles should be used when they are in public or not under supervision - rottvillers, staffies, bull terriers etc.

I would have a pretty zero tolerance approach ... the default approach to dogs that hurt people should be to put them down unless their are very obvious mitigating factors. But the penalties shouldn't only apply to the dog: the owner should be then banned from owning dogs or at the very least be forced to pass an approved training program before they are able to own a dog again.

Something like 60,000 people need treatment every year as a result of attacks from dogs. The idea that this is inevitable and cannot be reduced is too fatalistic - better control of dogs and owners is needed.

There's a bloke who struts about Onchan village with one of these in such a macho way. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He's like a dog loving Freddy Mercury.

Is he giving off the wrong signals? Perhaps the angry dog is to warn off people who want to bum him? I mean looking like Freddie you're bound to get all sorts of weird offers. Particularly in Onchan. Does he hang round the park at dusk in his vest?

I see the occasional pit bull strolling around Port Erin, or tied to a poll outside the shops. I'm not scared of dogs but I am very wary of pit bulls and if the kids are with me I will cross the road to avoid it without hesitation as there is always that risk it will lash out no matter what the owner thinks.

Surely as a belated kick against the establishment Princess Anne got herself a couple of these fashion items.

Pity one of them killed one of her mum's corgis though!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3345585.stm

When one of her dogs attacked a child it was not put down. http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2002/11/21/anne021121.html

Here is a picture of one of the Queen's corgis. Since witnessing the above incident it is always looking over its should with that worried look on

post-233-1167782879_thumb.jpg

English Bull Terriers are not Pit Bull Terriers and are not covered by the legislation being discussed here which bans the ownership and breeding of PBTs.

Though they can be a viscious dog! Equally they can make wonderful pets ... I've a friend who's had one since childhood!

In my view a breed that should be permitted, but with close supervision with muzzling and owner training with any sign of trouble!

I would guess the dogs in Onchan and PE aren't Pit Bulls but either English Bull Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers ... staffies ... scare the willies out of me ... but are fully legal.

I see the occasional pit bull strolling around Port Erin, or tied to a poll outside the shops. I'm not scared of dogs but I am very wary of pit bulls and if the kids are with me I will cross the road to avoid it without hesitation as there is always that risk it will lash out no matter what the owner thinks.

Do you actually know what a pit bull looks like?

Find the Pit Bull

English Bull Terriers are not Pit Bull Terriers and are not covered by the legislation being discussed here which bans the ownership and breeding of PBTs.

Though they can be a viscious dog! Equally they can make wonderful pets ... I've a friend who's had one since childhood!

In my view a breed that should be permitted, but with close supervision with muzzling and owner training with any sign of trouble!

I would guess the dogs in Onchan and PE aren't Pit Bulls but either English Bull Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers ... staffies ... scare the willies out of me ... but are fully legal.

This is the whole problem, you cannot determine how vicious a dog will be by its breed, but you can by the way an owner trains and handles their dog. There is pressure in the UK for the focus to be on the way a dog is taught how to behave rather than the breed and this makes much more sense.

Admittedly some breeds have been bred for their agression, just as they have been bred for their retrieving, going to ground, herding and other skills. It is part of the long partnership that man has had with the dog. Unfortunately, what is happening now is that certain breeds of dog are being favoured for their aggression as a status symbol for the owner and the latent aggression is honed by the owner to promote their own hardness. They put huge chains, thick leather, studded colars on the dog to emphasise just how powerful and aggressive it is, and how much the owner must dominate it. It's a power thing (and a big dick thing too I am sure) and many of these owners, from my experience, will be inherently cruel and aggressive people themselves.

Archived