[BBC News] Manx police test mini head camera

Newsbot

Privacy in public areas? How does that work then?

Wait till a copper puts your name on a database simply because a colleague identifies you innocently standing in the background when an incident takes place, a Bradden commissioner follows and films you and your dog, or the MEA meter readers say we want them too "in the interests of security" and start filming in your house. Thin end of the wedge.

It's a good job I got pixellated over xmas.

Some questions:

Are these cameras going to be carried around all day long or will they just be switched on at an incident?

What data will be recorded and for how long?

If I go and ask a Policeman for help will I be filmed regardless?

I think a net effect of these cameras will be to make the Police less approachable than before.

• 2 weeks later...
Privacy in public areas? How does that work then?

Wait till a copper puts your name on a database simply because a colleague identifies you innocently standing in the background when an incident takes place, a Bradden commissioner follows and films you and your dog, or the MEA meter readers say we want them too "in the interests of security" and start filming in your house. Thin end of the wedge.

It's a good job I got pixellated over xmas.

From MR - "Braddan Commissioners have become the first local authority to use a miniature head mounted camera. Officers will use a 'Cylon' device to enforce bye-laws and carry out house inspections.

How about one of us wearing one, and starting to sit in at all of their meetings? Instead of 'youtube' perhaps we could start an upload site 'youplank'.

_

From MR - "Braddan Commissioners have become the first local authority to use a miniature head mounted camera. Officers will use a 'Cylon' device to enforce bye-laws and carry out house inspections.

You have to laugh - Robowarden comes to Braddan.

There must be a human rights aspect to this. If some tit with a head camera turned up to do a video of the inside of my house he could f right off on the grounds of invasion of privacy. Where will they keep the footage? Who has access to it? How will personal information be stored? How will the footage be used? What are the copyright issues?

Its not setting a good precedent.

Aren't we all getting a bit paranoid, boys and girls?

This is the isle of man... and I'm reluctant to be pursuaded that even the most bolchy manx politician is hatching a cunning plan to introduce a totalitarian national security state just yet...

Aren't we all getting a bit paranoid, boys and girls?

This is the isle of man... and I'm reluctant to be pursuaded that even the most bolchy manx politician is hatching a cunning plan to introduce a totalitarian national security state just yet...

A belief that all is benign and well intentioned is where it all starts going horribly wrong.

As Voltaire's over optimistic Dr Pangloss was often quoted "since everything was made for a purpose, everything must be made for the best possible purpose"

Personally that's bullshit. People only bring this stuff in for a reason, and you only know why 10 years after you allowed them to do it.

. People only bring this stuff in for a reason, and you only know why 10 years after you allowed them to do it.

Hmmm. Paranioa = "baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others"

I think there are plenty of more serious risks facing the island over the next ten years....

Archived