[BBC News] Manx police test mini head camera

Newsbot

. People only bring this stuff in for a reason, and you only know why 10 years after you allowed them to do it.

Hmmm. Paranioa = "baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others"

I think there are plenty of more serious risks facing the island over the next ten years....

Well that is your point of view.

Would you like the inside of your house videoed and a copy of all your personal belongings and your image held on a server by the police, commissioners, or other agency? Its a gross invasion of privacy in the least. At the other end of the spectrum its an infringement of human rights.

Well that is your point of view.

Would you like the inside of your house videoed and a copy of all your personal belongings and your image held on a server by the police, commissioners, or other agency? Its a gross invasion of privacy in the least. At the other end of the spectrum its an infringement of human rights.

No. But the last time the commissioners visited my house to do a 'house inspection' was, in my lifetime mmmn.... now let me see........ never!

The right to any degree of privacy has been eroded almost to the point of extinction.

Society is subjected to more controls than at any other time in history.

We're only a few short steps away from Orwell's 'Thought Police.'

• 4 months later...

And Liverpool just got another step closer:

Liverpool police get mini-Black Helicopter

The era of Robocop - and perhaps of the surveillance society - came a step nearer today with the announcement that Merseyside plods have started trialling a flying police robot.

The scally sky-patrolman, unlike military kill-bots such as the US Reaper, isn't intended for any active role. It is purely an observation platform, mounting CCTV with a range of imaging option

The Scouse law-enforcers' eye in the sky is the "hicam microdrone", a German battery-powered quad-rotor helicopter which weighs less than 1kg and is less than 1 metre in diameter, according to reports. The diminutive cyber-copter can apparently stay up for 20 minutes per battery charge and its UK distributors say that it is capable of "immediate deployment from car/dog van/other."

lon80905211317sj3.jpg

Headcams, vancams, normal cctv and now robocop and his flying friend - this is getting out of hand.....

The other week there was a story about a man in the paper, he was growing some cannabis plants and the police detected this by using a helicopter with infra-red sensors. How sensetive are these sensors? I mean people could be in bed or wandering around their homes naked or anything, what are the Manx Police doing here? I for one dont want them perving about the place in a helicopter with their 'infra-red laser beam eyes'. What is the legal stance on this? AFAIK the police require a warrant to search peoples homes, when they use this kind of technology do they still have to get a warrant or is it ok for them to look for men buggering their wives and hot spots that could be lights for growing cannabis?? (Im guessing that buggery & growing pot is still against the law, but the laws change so often its difficult to keep up with them)

And Liverpool just got another step closer:

Liverpool police get mini-Black Helicopter

The era of Robocop - and perhaps of the surveillance society - came a step nearer today with the announcement that Merseyside plods have started trialling a flying police robot.

lon80905211317sj3.jpg

Headcams, vancams, normal cctv and now robocop and his flying friend - this is getting out of hand.....

How come the police get all the best Boys Toys ???

We will see these in Woolworths by Xmas.

The other week there was a story about a man in the paper, he was growing some cannabis plants and the police detected this by using a helicopter with infra-red sensors. How sensetive are these sensors? I mean people could be in bed or wandering around their homes naked or anything, what are the Manx Police doing here? I for one dont want them perving about the place in a helicopter with their 'infra-red laser beam eyes'. What is the legal stance on this? AFAIK the police require a warrant to search peoples homes, when they use this kind of technology do they still have to get a warrant or is it ok for them to look for men buggering their wives and hot spots that could be lights for growing cannabis?? (Im guessing that buggery & growing pot is still against the law, but the laws change so often its difficult to keep up with them)

You seem rather concerned about "buggery & growing pot" is there a link? Would loads of hot air create a "hotspot" and if so, expect a visit or two thebees. :lol:

is that the story about the colourful character who was growing 'weed' in a field somewhere near Ramsey? and the farmer didn't know spot all the strange plants?

Do you actually believe this bullshit? This was something introduced by the lawyer of the accused during the case. The prosecution certainly never suggested that this was how the matter came about. Supposition at best, bloody laughable at worst. I think maybe a bit of banter with a gullible lawyer may have mushroomed out of control........

Do you actually believe this bullshit? This was something introduced by the lawyer of the accused during the case. The prosecution certainly never suggested that this was how the matter came about. Supposition at best, bloody laughable at worst. I think maybe a bit of banter with a gullible lawyer may have mushroomed out of control........

The FLIR camera used on police helicopters can detect abnormal amounts of heat coming from buildings - if your roof is glowing bright white on screen, then you're either collecting fans heaters or there might be something else up there, such as large scale production equipment for herbs - doubt it could find a single lamp for your little plant, but police around london seem to favour this approach at the moment. I don't think they can simply walk into your house because it showed an unusual heat signature on screen, but they'll certainly flag it, and in some industries, any attention is bad - article about FLIR being used for this: clickey

Archived