Council/corporation House Rent

Higgy

I agree with Slim - there are a lot of good points in the case.

Basically it is not right that honest working people should be forced to support any one - it only happens in the western world - can you imagine this in Iran or Thailand??

Of course Douglas rates have just up gone up to support even more of this nonsense....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a look on the iomtoday site - some comments:-

One ex colleague in finance sector said they obtained a council house so they could spend their money building a 5 bedroomed house in Thailand

I know someone who is joint owner of a company, owns at least 1 house worth £280k plus and has a car worth over £30,000. They earn a very high wage being in the position they are in, and the company pay most of the "expenses". Yet they can quite happily and unquestioned, live in a £60p/w house, and still make an aditional £800p/m renting their owned house

I too know of a number of people living in council accomodation earning in excess of £80k...

I know of a couple in local authority housing whose combined income is in the region of £80k per annum,

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/High-earner...live.3717233.jp

If these comments are true and not urban myth/man in the pub etc bollocks, it does indicate that the current system needs revising. Clearly as it stands, some people are taking the piss..........

Certainly anyone who owns and is renting out a property they could live in shouldn't be in public housing, as for buying property abroad, IF true then that really is ripping it.

The only issue seems to be how to sensibly implement reasonable changes that don't crap on everyone because of the greed of a few.

I have lived all my life in LGB housing. (Except for a short time where I lived in a pub ((rent free deducted from wage) rented a house with a freind at which time we lived off soup had no telly and honestly were never in the house because it was so cold).

We don't have highly paid jobs but we are in a better possition than when we were allocted our (then) LGB flat, now a house, but we now pay more rent and have a child, so it probably evens out. we do have the luxury of Sky tv (which is the basic package at £21 a month, not enough to pay a mortgage).

We do not take drugs, smoke but we do have a drink at the weekend in our own home as we can't afford a baby sitter and the cost of a night out.

We have a car each, they were bought out of hard earned cash, (bit borrowed) one cost £1000 and the other (the good one) £1700 not bought at the same time!

We put christmas decs up every christmas but then we don't use electric lights much so that help to cover the eletricity bill.

Our Child has nice clothes, toys and a comfortable home, I shop carefully, buying from sales and charity shops.

I do my share for charity and would never walk past a homeless person without dropping a coin or two.

I don't know where we would stand if means tested again, my OH had massive debt when we got together and as a result of a spiral of personal stuff I have a debt now too.

We live within our means and sometime we might splash out but we are not bad people and this post has made me feel like I'm stealling something.

As for the comments on being subsidised by Homeowners, just because we live in a council house doesn't mean we don't pay our share, after all if the goverment can find cheaper housing why cant the fat cat landlords and builder?

Can I just add that my Father has lived in LGB housing for 37 years has just bought his house, perhaphs that would be a better way to go than moving folk out or hicking the rent up????

This is just my feelings please don't kick me!

I don't think anyone is suggesting someone like yourself doesn't deserve some help from the state.

Generally, it's the people with 60k+ a year coming in, a brand new Audi and a Freelander, two foreign holidays and three kids all decked out in the latest designer gear and iPods than most people are irritated by.

We live within our means and sometime we might splash out but we are not bad people and this post has made me feel like I'm stealling something.

As for the comments on being subsidised by Homeowners, just because we live in a council house doesn't mean we don't pay our share, after all if the goverment can find cheaper housing why cant the fat cat landlords and builder?

Can I just add that my Father has lived in LGB housing for 37 years has just bought his house, perhaphs that would be a better way to go than moving folk out or hicking the rent up????

You didn't mention the GSXR :)

The government or local authorities can have land in stock or released for public housing. When it redeveloped pully for example, it would have only paid for the cost of the building, not the most expensive part, the plot itself. As to why the government can afford cheaper rent than landlords, it's because its subsidised, what you pay doesn't cover the costs, a private landlord couldn't do that.

Kind of unfair to call a landlord a 'fat cat', it's really not that easy making money on rentals currently given the value of property and the overheads and aggro of renting, you're generally better off flogging it than renting it out.

Option to buy is a good idea, provided the funds from the option are invested back into building new properties, and crucially that lands released to fill the vacancy and re-allocated to someone who needs. There have been some scamming of the system in the past though, where a developer/investor will buy your option to buy at a big discount then rent you back the property at a higher rate, so it's go to be handled carefully.

Fair enough not all landlords are fat cats and that was unfair but not all LGB renters are "potential druggies" or taking advantage.

I agree and understand what you are saying about subsided rent but what I'm saying is that I work and pay tax, which in turn pays for unemployment benifits one of which is rents being paid (to private landlords where necessary) so I to pay my share.

It annoys me too when there are people who are taking advantage of the system, but that is the world we live in.

I'd love to own my own house, it will never happen and in the meantime every spare penny I get goes into my daughters savings account so she will have a better start than me.

We have always had the girls who deliberatly get themselves pregnant to get a house and not all have come from eastates.

See you at the hanging tree!

Sorry I didn't mention the GSXR but it's not what your thinking off......

I feel really guilty now that you actually are a GIXR widow and your husband was killed by one or something, straighten me out, tell me the truth!

Fair enough not all landlords are fat cats and that was unfair but not all LGB renters are "potential druggies" or taking advantage.

Agree, I think even that the vast majority of people in public accomodation are justified in being there, in fact it should really be everyones choice if they want to own or not, which is why I think the solution to both expensive private housing/rents and a lack of public housing for the needy is to simply build more public housing. It's not like it's a band investment for the government isn it? I'd far rather my pension fund owned property than bank shares right now.

I'd love to own my own house, it will never happen and in the meantime every spare penny I get goes into my daughters savings account so she will have a better start than me.

We have always had the girls who deliberatly get themselves pregnant to get a house and not all have come from eastates.

I think that's spot on, many people who live in public houses would like to buy their own place and move out of the flats/estates, if they could afford it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting someone like yourself doesn't deserve some help from the state.

Generally, it's the people with 60k+ a year coming in, a brand new Audi and a Freelander, two foreign holidays and three kids all decked out in the latest designer gear and iPods than most people are irritated by.

And the Camper

Sorry I didn't mention the GSXR but it's not what your thinking off......

I feel really guilty now that you actually are a GIXR widow and your husband was killed by one or something, straighten me out, tell me the truth!

No, your alright, he just spend loads off time in his shed building the ol girl up (not enough time in the bedroom build this ol girl up) :rolleyes:

Gotta go................see ya tomorrow, maybe!

I used to work with a lad who had a house in Allen St, a farm on Bradda, port erin, house in Port Erin sold the lot and got a brand new Pulrose House. When I pulled him over it his answer was so f****** what its better than some come over getting it. Its the likes of him and others that spoil a good system that was set up to help those in need. The same person also said to go and tell Mr ????? town councellor who has flats in Union Mills, lives and runs his buisness from a corpy House.

So whats the real answer to this problem, do the Government set up some sort of name and shame line.

This is just my feelings please don't kick me!

I don't think anyone would kick you. What is proposed should make it easier for people who genuinely need housing to get it. We all know people with joint incomes of £50k, £60k and more living in council housing. Or those who have other property or money in the bank. They are a disgrace and what Onchan Commissioners has suggested is a great way of making sure that their services are targeted at those who need it - not wasters who could happily afford to buy lining their own pockets at our expense.

However, some councillors across the Island need to lead by example and we all know that some are not capable of doing that and until that changes nothing will happen to address the problem.

Archived