Computer Says No

Amadeus

Google's job robot weeds out puny humans

The Church of the Algorithm, Google, is employing a robot to select the faithful.

According to the New York Times today, an algorithm scans job applications and ranks candidates on a score from 0 to 100. From next month, it will be used to screen all applications.

The Times quotes Google's "Vice President of People Operations" (as opposed to Machine Operations) , who explains -

"With traditional hiring methods, we were worried we will overlook some of the best candidates."

Wonder of they give you a PR as well.. :unsure:

Full NY Times Article

When I was doing my MBA I suddenly out of the blue got a job offer. The job was nothing like what I wanted to do, but it was exactly relevent to my experience as put on my CV. I enquired and discovered the company used a robot to search the web and match posted CVs to the job requirements it was been paid to fill.

Google using a similar algorithm ... I'm not that surprised. As ever Junk in Junk out, and people will start tailoring their applications to fit the machine, but with 100s of thousands of applications the idea that 100 people in HR can consistently rate them is just bull ... whether a computer will be better or worse, I don't know .... it'll be different and less arbitary.

Archived