Manx Radio = White Elephant?

Roger Smelly

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What’s going on in Mandate? Have they started to take commercial interviews again?

The feature on this morning (Friday) about Peter Norris Music was nothing more than a plug for the business, opening times was in the store etc. Did the programme news editor know just how commercial the item was? Why was it on Mandatem the the prime slot of the show.

Come on Mr Bell take hold of your presenters!

Thanks AI - that's certainly MY view - just because a company doesn't have a marketing department or press officer shouldn't mean they don't get any airtime if they have something of interest happening. I welcome suggestions from pretty much any source.

Just so you know, I take a keen interest in (and welcome) any views people have on my programme*.

* Except posters with a vested interest/axe to grind, like Manxmedia, Copycat/MCB et al.

Henry VI part II

Isle of Man is a place for banishment it seems.

KING HENRY VI :

Stand forth, Dame Eleanor Cobham, Gloucester's wife:

In sight of God and us, your guilt is great:

Receive the sentence of the law for sins

Such as by God's book are adjudged to death.

You four, from hence to prison back again;

From thence unto the place of execution:

The witch in Smithfield shall be burn'd to ashes,

And you three shall be strangled on the gallows.

You, madam, for you are more nobly born,

Despoiled of your honour in your life,

Shall, after three days' open penance done,

Live in your country here in banishment,

With Sir John Stanley, in the Isle of Man.

Sheriff :

An't please your grace, here my commission stays,

And Sir John Stanley is appointed now

To take her with him to the Isle of Man.

DUCHESS :

Art thou gone too? all comfort go with thee!

For none abides with me: my joy is death;Death, at whose name I oft have been afear'd,

Because I wish'd this world's eternity.

Stanley, I prithee, go, and take me hence;

I care not whither, for I beg no favour,

Only convey me where thou art commanded.

STANLEY :

Why, madam, that is to the Isle of Man;

There to be used according to your state.

Full play is here

Henry VI Part II

So what's she saying then - she'd rather be dead than live in the Isle of Man - she must have seen the cost of living!!

mmmhh. interesting to see one of my postsdragged up teapot. Not too sure of the relevance though.

I'd like to comment on the Mandate item this morning but it isn't on the Listen Again page yet. I only half heard it this morning.

Oh, and could anyone direct me to the Search News facility on Manx Radio website, it appears to have gawne. I generally find the Manx Radio news to be iinformative and reliable.

Oh, and could anyone direct me to the Search News facility on Manx Radio website, it appears to have gawne. I generally find the Manx Radio news to be iinformative and reliable.

It is there - I was using it yesterday and checked again today. Look for the 'find a story from the past' and 'search' button towards the bottom right on the main news page.

Whilst I've no problem with commercial interviews on the radio, or supporting local business, if a company HAS paid for airtime, it should be made obvious that they have. And opening times are NOT news!

It wasn't a commercial interview, and I don't remember mentioning opening times - more that people could try 'having a go' at making music, that the shop had moved and was offering more services/facilities, and that a guitar masterclass was happening next month.

A little off topic but:

You could also dedicate a whole programme of Mandate, although better Agenda programme, to Peter Norris' grandfather. Probably one of the most influential politicians of the last century.

He went to prison for his beliefs. He was against the Coroner's auction of hotel furniture due to non payment of rates during the war and persuaded people not to bid. The big boys said this was a naughty thing to do and so he was incarcerated. He was eventually freed, but not without a fight. He went on to be an MHK for about a quarter of a century and later a Member of the Legislative Council. In one general election he lost his seat by just 4 votes, despite polling 2,564 votes! Got back in at a following by-election though.

Whilst I've no problem with commercial interviews on the radio, or supporting local business, if a company HAS paid for airtime, it should be made obvious that they have. And opening times are NOT news!

It wasn't a commercial interview, and I don't remember mentioning opening times - more that people could try 'having a go' at making music, that the shop had moved and was offering more services/facilities, and that a guitar masterclass was happening next month.

Fiar enoug then - I confess to not hearing it and was merely basing my thoughts on what had been written before. There nothing wrong with talking about 'events' such as that which you describe, and it's silly to suggest that Mandate avoids all contact with business for fear of 'plugging'. Charity gets enough 'plugs'. But I still believe that all 'commercial' interviews - where the presenter is not objective or does not have a right of reply - should be labelled as such.

I was one off the people who thought that when MR brought in alot off programme chance a while back that they would fuck it up good style.

I live to eat my words.

I think the present daytime format and presenters is top class. I think it has allowed the presenters to show their human side and bring a bit off every day life and humour into topics of conversation. So what if they give a free plug to a small company. Peter Norris has been trading for years and i would think that he has some background in the Island music culture which can be much more than you can put a price on.

I take my hat off the Stu Peters, who will make time, his own usually, to find out what is getting said at street level and is not afraid to address the issues which effect us all. I find him an outgoing type person which seems to be rubbing off on most of the other presenters and allowing them the freedom to bring the human nature side to their programmes.

Not everything Stu or the other presenters is always right but at least now you have people who will listen to both sides and try to move forward. Anyone remember Andy Mac?

It's not Radio 1 or such, it's not trying to be but as a " Local Based Cultural " radio station i think you will need to look a long way to find anything better.

I think the guys and gals up there are doing a great job and getting better thanks to the new blood. Keep it up and it will only get better.

Agreed. I have said before MR does a very good job, given the size of the island. I particularly like the Sunday morning programmes; ironing wouldn't be the same without them! And most of the 6.00 weekday programmes are also locally relevant and interesting (although shack lair, or whatever it is, doesn't really do it for me.)

Anyway, what is wrong with a bit of a plug for a local, independent business?

Anyway, what is wrong with a bit of a plug for a local, independent business?

Nothing, but if it's paid for or is the result of 'favouritism' then it should be stated as such. Because there ARE other music shops, for example and it's not the job of a taxpayer-funded station to state a preference.

These things crop up in the local media all the time - news stories that are no more than reworded press releases advertising one cause or another - and it's easy to turn a blind eye to them, but when you have a long piece about one specific retailer it does border on advertising, and so any 'arrangement' between the broadcaster and the business should be declared.

I didn't hear the piece, I'm sure it was done in good faith, and my point is more of a general one than specific to this news item.

Archived