Manx Radio = White Elephant?

Roger Smelly

if it's paid for or is the result of 'favouritism' then it should be stated as such. Because there ARE other music shops, for example and it's not the job of a taxpayer-funded station to state a preference.

Well let’s ask the questions, does the interviewer know the interviewee?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have found on this Island that more than likely he knows him just as a matter of course. Otherwise you couldn't interview anyone. Sometimes they are even all related.

if it's paid for or is the result of 'favouritism' then it should be stated as such. Because there ARE other music shops, for example and it's not the job of a taxpayer-funded station to state a preference.

Well let’s ask the questions, does the interviewer know the interviewee?

Sorry for the delay - only just saw this. Nope, had never met Ken before the interview, although I did buy a set of strings and some Pink Floyd sheet music once from Peter at the Villa Arcade (and interviewed him about the Wurlitzer plan a few years ago). And no money (or free plectra) changed hands.

Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy and collusion theorists - who could perhaps all apologise now for questioning my integrity, that of my editor and the station itself. This was a light current affairs piece about a well-established Manx business moving to new premises, offering a range of services that many listeners might not be aware of, and promoting an upcoming guitar masterclass.

My general point still stands - I was not questioning the integrity of this piece, as I stated in my first post.

Stu, would you concede that as the self-titled 'national broadcaster' you have a duty to not preference any business / politician / charity / cause? It's a principle that is at the core of the BBC and it is my personal belief that Manx Radio should aspire to the same values.

Stu, would you concede that as the self-titled 'national broadcaster' you have a duty to not preference any business / politician / charity / cause? It's a principle that is at the core of the BBC and it is my personal belief that Manx Radio should aspire to the same values.

MR is also a commercial radio station. Anyhoo I saw someone eating Heinz baked beans on the BBC last night - I mean how far do people take this? Make up 'Acme Beans', pixillate all the signs at sporting events such as the 888.com snooker championship and the F1 cars and drivers when they appear on the news etc. ?

A few years ago I did a few interviews on MR on behalf of a Manx company - this sort of advertising ain't anything new is it? Even if no one's paying for it and companies involved have some interesting news - like getting people into playing the guitar etc. - then what's the problem? It would be just the same if a local band was interviewed - they are mostly businesses because they get paid for local gigs.

My general point still stands - I was not questioning the integrity of this piece, as I stated in my first post.

Nope, sorry, I can understand but don't concede your point. To do so would mean we didn't cover many very interesting stories. The important thing is that we DON'T give preferential treatment to any charity, political cause, business or individual - it's just that some are better than others at publicising their activities.

If you're the best/cheapest/most eco-friendly pea parcher in the Island, do let me know and I'll interview you. See how it works?

It is MR's duty to publicise IOM charities in my view, just as the Beeb does on its Sunday evening slot.

Anyway, I didn't feel compelled to buy a cello after listening to the piece last week!

The BBC often gives coverage/exposure to private companies.

I'm getting sick to the back teeth of that advert advertising help for those who need it when they have been in the armed forces. I'm not doubting that the cause is a good one but how many times does that bloke expect to have to tell the Island population that they can get help from the British Legion?

The Isle of Man is recognised by the British Legion for raising record amounts of cash for the poppy appeal. I presume a percent of the cash raised is to be spent locally. Well all the cash is doing as far as I can see, is giving some bloke a chance to hear his own irritating voice a few times a day on Manx Radio. The pomposity isn't helped by the sound of the military band blaring in the background. A nice easy earner for Manx Radio though.

I'm getting sick to the back teeth of that advert advertising help for those who need it when they have been in the armed forces. I'm not doubting that the cause is a good one but how many times does that bloke expect to have to tell the Island population that they can get help from the British Legion?

As long as there's a war on - and we're fighting on at least two fronts at the moment.

No doubt several (Isle of Man born or families-of resident here) soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are currently involved. For every one killed there's probably at least around 4 injured - some seriously.

Not many people listen to MR full-time, so campaigns such as the British Legion's, take some time to spread the word.

The Isle of Man is recognised by the British Legion for raising record amounts of cash for the poppy appeal. I presume a percent of the cash raised is to be spent locally. Well all the cash is doing as far as I can see, is giving some bloke a chance to hear his own irritating voice a few times a day on Manx Radio. The pomposity isn't helped by the sound of the military band blaring in the background. A nice easy earner for Manx Radio though.

I agree to an extent - he's overdoing things. Too much advertising can have negative results. One the one hand he's appealing for money, on the other looking for someone to give it to. He obviously means well, it's his main purpose in life but he is in a difficult position.

I am sick of hearing the marching music, that's a turn-off, but would not affect donations I would make.

I am more sickened by the very poor support offered to injured ex-servicemen by the UK government. Equally so the role of the UK forces in Iraq - I don't think they should be there - this is a persoanl opinion.

Changing tack slightly - any chance of stopping Chris Williams talking over the music on his morning program? It gets so bad I end up switching off at times until Dan comes on.

I presume the cost of the advertising is less than the revenue it generates which I presume is the whole purpose of advert. If it was not you may have a valid point but I would suspect that the charity would not sanction the payments otherwise.

The British Legion is not a charity I support, I have a chosen few who I donate either annually or monthly to by standing order as you can not support evey charity and I prefer to chose who I want to give my money to and how much rather than just put a few pence in every rattled tin box or bag packer I see.

The only down side is that you get moaned at occasionally for not wearing a poppy. I have no objection to wearing a poppy but the selling of poppies is a fund raising exercise for the British Legion, it is their "Poppy Appeal". I do get a bit biffed when they try to combine it with the act of rememberance as if they are one and the same and TV presenters get slagged off if they do not wear a poppy as it is almost forcing individuals to support a charity they might not otherwise wish to donate to.

This is not having a pop at the charity itself as I am sure it is a worthwhile charity that does plenty of good. I just do not particularly like the fact that it is virtually the only charity which because of the "Poppy Appeal" you feel as if you are obliged to donate to. It was the same when you you have door to door collections for charities, although these are appear to be much less common than they used to be, it is almost as if they try to make you feel guilty if you say no. I am happy to but I feel sorry for my grandmother on her pension and her like who feel they must give even though they really can not afford to.

Archived