Manx Radio = White Elephant?

Roger Smelly

Fair points Lost Login

Changing tack slightly - any chance of stopping Chris Williams talking over the music on his morning program? It gets so bad I end up switching off at times until Dan comes on.

Yep, I couldn't agree more. If I was a young schoolgirl and clamouring for the voice of a DJ perhaps a different story but I ain't and I ain't.

I'm getting sick to the back teeth of that advert advertising help for those who need it when they have been in the armed forces. I'm not doubting that the cause is a good one but how many times does that bloke expect to have to tell the Island population that they can get help from the British Legion?

As long as there's a war on - and we're fighting on at least two fronts at the moment.

No doubt several (Isle of Man born or families-of resident here) soldiers, Sailors and Airmen are currently involved. For every one killed there's probably at least around 4 injured - some seriously.

Not many people listen to MR full-time, so campaigns such as the British Legion's, take some time to spread the word.

How many service people on the Isle of Man just now who are fighting. I think if any got injured or needed help our man at the Royal British Legion would be informed. Ditto ex service men.

A neighbour of mine, an ex-serviceman, had cause to call the number, and found it no help whatsoever.

Still, if the incessant radio advertising brings the Royal British Legion into our collective consciousness it can't be a bad thing. Can it?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hanging tack slightly - any chance of stopping Chris Williams talking over the music on his morning program? It gets so bad I end up switching off at times until Dan comes on.

Chris seems to realy want MR to be a radio station broadcasting from a ship in the 1960's.

His Saturday show is very good. Its getting a bit tired, but it gets me at the weekend. The biggest problem now is Chris in the mid-morning slot. The show is really something you might find on 3FM or even Energy. Just playing music is not what people expect from MR these days. Leave that to the other players, stand out from the crowd.

BTW whats the goss on the new guy going to work on the hill. I understand he will be running the day to day programming side of the station. If thats true what part will Mr Williams play in the set up?

hanging tack slightly - any chance of stopping Chris Williams talking over the music on his morning program? It gets so bad I end up switching off at times until Dan comes on.

Chris seems to realy want MR to be a radio station broadcasting from a ship in the 1960's.

His Saturday show is very good. Its getting a bit tired, but it gets me at the weekend. The biggest problem now is Chris in the mid-morning slot. The show is really something you might find on 3FM or even Energy. Just playing music is not what people expect from MR these days. Leave that to the other players, stand out from the crowd.

BTW whats the goss on the new guy going to work on the hill. I understand he will be running the day to day programming side of the station. If thats true what part will Mr Williams play in the set up?

Now he's doing it on purpose - it's really too much, who needs this? Saturday is fine, that's a good show, but during the week an ego trip is *not* required.

Yeah right - nothing to do with not getting the results you wanted, even after accusing RAJAR of producing misleading stats (can't be bothered searching for the relevant thread).

You couldn't stand the heat, so got out of the kitchen. That's fine, but at least admit it.

I'm sure Energy is a fine station, and I applaud Juan's determination and drive in getting it where it is today (eminently saleable I would imagine, now that it's dropped its 'youth only' programming) but it lacks credibility in an industry dominated by ratings, as verified under a standard protocol.

Your own loyalty is laudable - but don't try to kid a kidder.

Our Rajar figures were very static over the period we were in it.

We just didn't believe the sample size was a good representation of the population, the age groups sampled were dis-proportionate to the age brackets in question and Manx Radio's AM & FM figures are combined which distorts their audience figures when they are not 100% simulcast.

On several occasions we approached Rajar to get them to increase the sample size, which was not in any way going to favour us at all. They refused and so we pulled out.

Quite a few of our clients do their own market research... most use a sample size 5 times greater than rajar.

Stations live and die by Rajar in the UK, it can be make or break for inclusion on big money national advertising campaigns. The effect here is un-noticable in our opinion.

If a Rajar survey was applied to your comments on Manx Forums, your comments would represent 126.385 people resident on the Isle of Man!

For a radio station so critical of RAJAR and their sampling methods, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it odd that your erstwhile managing director saw fit to attack Manx Radio for their own RAJAR figures on the internet last year? An attack that vanished almost instantly the moment it was posted up on here. :)

Archived