Manx Radio = White Elephant?

Roger Smelly

If a Rajar survey was applied to your comments on Manx Forums, your comments would represent 126.385 people resident on the Isle of Man!

Surely thats how all sampling works though. And whilst they are never 100% right, they do offer an margin of error of around 2%, making it as accurate as possible.

I'm sure I was told that as long as the sample size is around 1000 then it can be called 'accurate' to within the margin of error.

So asking 600 people, or whatever it is, is NOT perfect, but as long as it is measured against Manx and 3fm, then surely it gives an accurate picture. I agree about Manx distorting their figures by combining AM and FM, but how many people REALLY listen to AM now on the Island. It is almost obselete apart from TT week.

Best really to do like Manx and stay out of the debate - we all know why energy left, but it doesn't make it a bad station. I'm still loving what you are doing there.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AM is used every morning between 7:30 - 8:30 for Alex Brindley fans. The rest of us tune in to Mandate on FM.

I’m off on my pet subject again, sorry, but is Alex Brindley really the most listened to presenter in the British Isles, again?

Please do take the time to go to his “official website”, that’s his words not mine. www.alexbrindley.com

You will see he is still claiming, for the 3rd year in a row, to be “Number One”. Except for a brief moment at 8.30 when AM & FM rejoin, its almost certainly total rubbish, but he can get away with it because Manx are not being rated on their two services.

In these days of broadcasters having to be more transparent in their dealing with the public, I think it’s strange that RAJAR still have not dealt with this deception.

Quite so, I suppose Mr Dolye has something to say about most convictions.

On th eother hand are you suggesting that he is being overly quoted, perhaps held up as a champion to the cause of law and order in the same way as he colleague is seen as the hanging judge.

The latter approach finds favour with me....string them up

There was quite an unusual interview on Mandate on Tuesday morning with Stu Peters interviewing a very Scottish lady talking about Human Resources. Heres a quick clip 20070826_DHSS___Human_Resources_Clip.mp3

"With Human Resources management we provide a strategic approach to Human Resources by developing coherent strategies that will build a motivated workforce"

elsewhere there was much:

diverse and complex organisation... complexity... information and communication... structure in place... particular business... human capital... more strategic... moving forward into the 20th,21st century.. integrated leadership management programme that we have devised in partnership with external consultants...

The last phrase is my favourite and I shall attempt to use the phrase myself at my work tomorrow

The interview went on at some length with plenty of well accentuated moderm management speak. The word "strategic" was used a lot and so was "The HR Directorate" although the inappropriate and over use of the word "etc" made me believe that the verbosity of speech was perhaps not germaine to the announciators mind.

It was like something out of The Office and I imagined Mr Peters looking rather wide eyed and not dissimilar to David Brent.

Nicely handled though, Stu.

"With Human Resources management we provide a strategic approach to Human Resources by developing coherent strategies that will build a motivated workforce"

diverse and complex organisation... complexity... information and communication... structure in place... particular business... human capital... more strategic... moving forward into the 20th,21st century.. integrated leadership management programme that we have devised in partnership with external consultants...

It was like something out of The Office and I imagined Mr Peters looking rather wide eyed and not dissimilar to David Brent.

Nicely handled though, Stu.

It's the service sector - where we have to make doing f**k all sound technical and scientific. Sounds like she has swallowed her MBA handbook.

Forget jargon, forget management-speak; it is 'pussy-foot' speak, the main objective of which is to de-personalise and de-subjectivise (see what I did there?) concepts that have been flying around for years, but now need to be presented as management theories rather than the common sense approach that if you can do the job, good, but if not shape up or ship out.

Funnily enough, IME, those that espouse this twaddle are often not the same people that have to square up to some idle twat and tell him to get his act together. And if called upon to advise, they normally cite the 'training' mantra, but get them to face up to a real personnel issue and their strategic heels will be coherently moving forward, in a visual context, into consolidated dust.

Archived