[BBC News] Muslims to be buried in cemetery

Newsbot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have heard stories (probably urban myth) about fishermen dredging up a decomposed body dressed in a suit, after authorities ID'd the body it turned out the deceased gentlemen was buried at sea a short time previously!

My fathers step dad was buried in a cardboard coffin in a field in St Johns a few years back, we had musicians playing Manx music as we went out to the field to bury him, no religious ceremony involved.

Frances wrote:

was of the Christian faith and therefore in their eyes an infidel.

Are we to assume that the current request was for similar reasons?

I'm Christian, not an infidel, and don't wish to be thought of such by my neighbours.

Dictionary.com

in·fi·del /ˈɪnfɪdl, -ˌdɛl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-fi-dl, -del] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

noun 1. Religion. a. a person who does not accept a particular faith, esp. Christianity.

b. (in Christian use) an unbeliever, esp. a Muslim.

c. (in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kaffir.

2. a person who has no religious faith; unbeliever.

3. (loosely) a person who disbelieves or doubts a particular theory, belief, creed, etc.; skeptic.

adjective 4. not accepting a particular faith, esp. Christianity or Islam; heathen.

5. without religious faith.

6. due to or manifesting unbelief: infidel ideas.

7. rejecting the Christian religion while accepting no other; not believing in the Bible or any Christian divine revelation.

All seems to fit me pretty well. Is it meant as a compliment?

If the Muslim applying the term 'Infidel' means I have no faith because I am not a fellow Muslim them the term is a critical one becuse it suggests my Faith is false.

However, if the term 'Infidel' is applied to me because I don't follow the Muslim Faith in particular then the term is both correct and uncritical.

"They'll be building a mosque on Tynwald Hill"

No, I've heard that the mosque is going to be at BallaAllah perhaps :lol:

On a more serious note, the idea that anybody has the right to dictate to anybody else how they should be buried, cremated etc. is just ridiculous, beyond obvious Health and Safety concerns you should be free to do as you choose (or chose)

I want my brain transplanted into the body of a 10 year old clone of myself so I can attend my own funeral. I'd wear a red fez and white suit and sit at the back smirking.

Also, I want my corpse to be stuffed with sweeties and hung from a tree like a grisly piñata.

That is absolutely legendary! Has to be the best funeral request ever!

All seems to fit me pretty well. Is it meant as a compliment?

I recently bought a T-Shirt (I don't know if it is on purpose but the fact that it is guantanamo bay orange didn't escape me) that has INFIDEL written in bold letters accross the chest, I have yet to wear it though....

The timing of this request is interesting as it comes a short while after the introduction of the Human Rights Act in the Isle of Man.

I agree with you there.

Its all about people being seen to be tolerent in the face of one of the worlds least tolerant religions.

On this basis I hope they get what they want from the Isle of Man.

I want my brain transplanted into the body of a 10 year old clone ..etc

In the not too distant past there were a forum character who was a bit like that, The Brain of Billy Boot. I think he kind of hovered above us all.

....buried according to their religious practice, that was,with the coffins standing vertically. But the Church Authorities would not allow this...

There is a church yard in Alpbach, Austria where the coffins buried are vertically to save room.

And in Hallstatt, one of the oldest settlements in Austria, a village, built on a tiny piece of land between Hallstatt See and the mountains the space on the graveyard is rather small too Dead bodies will be buried for a few years only, then they will be unburied, the bones will be sorted and beautifully decorated and displayed in the "bone-house" next to the church.

I had the pleaseure of spending a couple of days on the Island of Tonga a few years ago, and was taken on a tour of the Island - some amazing dolmens, and some very incredible graves, these were covered in amazing floral decorations, I would say the locals probably take better care of the graves of the dead than they do of the houses of the living!

post-365-1168383179_thumb.jpg

Archived