[BBC News] Mosquito device to target vandals

Newsbot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/audio/mosquito_sound.mp3 the sound for those that want to test. I can just about hear it, it seems to pulse and i wouldn't say it's the shriek that reports suggest but that's probably down to my hearing being worse than those it is aimed at. I like the way kids have claimed the sound back to use as a ringtone in school so they know when their phone has gone off but teachers don't, coming to a classroom near you soon!

I like the way kids have claimed the sound back to use as a ringtone in school so they know when their phone has gone off but teachers don't, coming to a classroom near you soon!

That is quite funny!

Kids are going to congregate somewhere it's just what they do, adults do it too but we call it going to the pub, and in both circumstances some people are going to do stupid things, fighting vandalism etc, how many fully grown (drunk) adults have you seen behaving like tw@ts i don't know about anyone else but if you go out drinking anywhere in the UK you are going to see something, the only difference is that kids aren't allowed in pubs (rightly so) so they hang around residential neighbourhoods where it gets noticed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/audio/mosquito_sound.mp3 the sound for those that want to test. I can just about hear it, it seems to pulse and i wouldn't say it's the shriek that reports suggest but that's probably down to my hearing being worse than those it is aimed at. I like the way kids have claimed the sound back to use as a ringtone in school so they know when their phone has gone off but teachers don't, coming to a classroom near you soon!

I suspect the test is flawed by your soundcard and noise reduction etc. Why pay to develop additional frequencies people can't hear, and harmonics they don't want to hear?

If I remember correctly, the use of this device was discontinued in the UK due to fears that it may be an "Infringement of human rights".

WRONG!!

We have one installed at our local Late Shop (it was put in use just a few months back)

It has certainly made the little scrotes move on..... but like quite a few on here hace already stated it doesn't cure the problem it just shifts it elsewhere.

If I remember correctly, the use of this device was discontinued in the UK due to fears that it may be an "Infringement of human rights".
WRONG!!

We have one installed at our local Late Shop (it was put in use just a few months back)

It has certainly made the little scrotes move on..... but like quite a few on here hace already stated it doesn't cure the problem it just shifts it elsewhere.

Actually I think you'll find that I'm half right and you are half wrong (Or vice-versa). Discontinued by SOME local councils but obviously not all.

Clickety-click

Edited for bad link insertion. D'oh.

I suspect the test is flawed by your soundcard and noise reduction etc. Why pay to develop additional frequencies people can't hear, and harmonics they don't want to hear?

To say nothing of the fact that the file is an mp3, a heavily compressed and, imo, a very poor sounding format.

• 2 years later...

What ever happened to the one they used to have at the back of the grandstand a few years ago,has someone found it in a cupboard and flogged it back to them Or , no i had better not say that !!

Archived